The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rainsong vs. Capo (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561481)

PeteCady 10-22-2019 07:44 AM

Rainsong vs. Capo

Suggestions for a good capo for Rainsong steel string guitars? Since the Rainsong fingerboard has almost no radius, and almost all steel string acoustic guitar capos have a curved bar to match a typical neck radius, I tend either to get a buzz on the D and/or G string, since the bar isn't pressing as hard on those middle strings; or, if it's a model with adjustable pressure, and I clamp it down hard enough to work on the middle strings, it' likely to push the two E strings so hard that they go out of tune.

Classical guitar capos don't have the problem, of course, but they're likely to be too lightly built, or, if they use a string, not to have a strong enough one. Also, the bar is build for a wider neck, and hangs off the edge further, and interferes with fingering.

But enough griping. Anyone have a solution that I haven't tried?

P.

northtrader 10-22-2019 08:22 AM

G 7th Newport

I've been using the G 7th Newport on my Rainsongs exclusively - N1 and N2 neck.

https://www.g7th.com/newport-capo

FrankHudson 10-22-2019 08:31 AM

I've not experienced nylon string, classical capos, designed for flat radius fretboards that aren't designed with enough oomph to handle steel strings. Perhaps they exist, but I'm surprised that you think this issue is common. I use a Shubb on my nylon string and before that Dunlop. Neither looked to be different in construction from their steel-sting capo designs except for the flat radius.

Which nylon string/classical ones have you tried and "failed out?"

jonfields45 10-22-2019 09:51 AM

I am using a G7 Performance 2. I have one in each RainSong case. Before that I used a Dunlop Trigger capo. I've had no problems with the standard version of these capos and the RainSong 20" fretboard radius.

Frettingflyer 10-22-2019 07:26 PM

+1 on G7th P2 or P3 for Rainsong necks.

AZLiberty 10-22-2019 07:36 PM

Never had a problem with a good old Kyser.

Even the 6-string versions work fine.

If you like Shubbs, Shubb will custom bend one to 20", but you have to order it directly from them.

Earl49 10-23-2019 09:27 AM

I primarily use the Dunlop Trigger or the original Shubb. No problems with either on my N1 neck WS-1000. Some capos have trouble handling the 20" Rainsong fret board radius versus the more common 15"-16" radius of other guitar brands.

MiG50 10-23-2019 05:48 PM

I also use a Kyser on my NS-necked guitars, without trouble. But I tend to capo right up behind the fret for maximum break angle on the string over the fret.

PeteCady 10-24-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG50 (Post 6193906)
I also use a Kyser on my NS-necked guitars, without trouble. But I tend to capo right up behind the fret for maximum break angle on the string over the fret.

That MIGHT account for why Keysers sometimes work OK and sometimes don't. I haven't always been careful about the placement thing...

jricc 10-24-2019 12:50 PM

There is a new Ernie Ball capo for flat and radiused retboards. I bought one and it works fine with my Rainsong. One thing though, it is a little heavy.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

AZLiberty 10-24-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteCady (Post 6194431)
That MIGHT account for why Keysers sometimes work OK and sometimes don't. I haven't always been careful about the placement thing...

I never have an issue and I never capo anywhere near the fret, those folks are nuts. :D

Dbone 10-27-2019 06:54 AM

A little pricy but you could check with Thalia Capos. They have fittings that come with them for various different guitars.

Cheers

rob2966 11-06-2019 07:46 PM

I have used both the Kyser and Thalia on my CH-PA, no issues noted.

Later
Rob

Dbone 11-11-2019 09:24 PM

I’m sure you are fully aware by now, but in case you are not I thought I would mention this...

If you buy a thalia capo the fittings that come with them by default do not provide coverage for a Rainsong. You need to pay another 7 bucks to get a special fit kit designed specifically for Rainsong.

I had to look into this myself because I just purchased a Rainsong.

Cheers

kramster 11-11-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbone (Post 6209191)
I just purchased a Rainsong.

Cheers

Nice buy!!!

Dbone 11-12-2019 09:49 PM

Thalia Capo just ordered. I ordered the RainSong specific fit kit along with it. As I said previously, unfortunately the included standard fit kit will not cover off RainSong.

It’s the craziest thing. Right now Thalia has a 34% off sale for specifically a black chrome finished capo with a blue abalone inlay. I’m like, was this meant to be or what? The black chrome capo finish sorta falls into the grey tones of the Rainsong Concert Series WS, and the capo inlay basically matches the blue abalone rosette on the guitar as well. Hells yeah.

Just thought I’d mention this sale in case it interests anyone. Not a bad discount.