The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   First streaming attempt (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576692)

buzzardwhiskey 03-30-2020 03:09 PM

First streaming attempt

Our church is doing the Zoom streaming thing, and the following YouTube video (subsequently uploaded from the saved Zoom stream) shows my very first attempt.

https://youtu.be/jwl3pVpTSDU
Song#1 -1:01:25
Song#2 -36:41
Song#3 -23:12

Alot worked, alot didn't.

The video from my Apple iMac is plenty good enough.

My vocals and guitar went into my interface and then into Reaper, which attempted to do the mixing and some EQ.

My vocals are good enough but the guitar sound is sub-par. Next sunday I'm going to skip the Tonedexter that I'd used and try just my raw pick-up and raise its volume a bit as well.

Anyway... brave new world.

Peace,
David

SpruceTop 03-30-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey (Post 6333649)
Our church is doing the Zoom streaming thing, and the following YouTube video (subsequently uploaded from the saved Zoom stream) shows my very first attempt.

https://youtu.be/jwl3pVpTSDU
Song#1 -1:01:25
Song#2 -36:41
Song#3 -23:12

Alot worked, alot didn't.

The video from my Apple iMac is plenty good enough.

My vocals and guitar went into my interface and then into Reaper, which attempted to do the mixing and some EQ.

My vocals are good enough but the guitar sound is sub-par. Next sunday I'm going to skip the Tonedexter that I'd used and try just my raw pick-up and raise its volume a bit as well.

Anyway... brave new world.

Peace,
Davud

David, I only listened to the first song and it's a nice rendition of Dylan's "The Times They Are A'Changing" Yes, the guitar could sound a bit louder and fuller but is well-played. Looking forward to more you care to share with us on your coming streaming performances.

YamahaGuy 03-30-2020 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing. The guitar sounded a bit "distorted" at times, but good one on you for getting your worship on through this storm.

buzzardwhiskey 03-30-2020 03:37 PM

Thanks, guys. The guitar definitely distorted somehow didn't it? I wonder if that's because of the vocal mic picking up some of it and creating a phasey situation?

I may try a second mic just for the guitar instead.

YamahaGuy 03-30-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey (Post 6333683)
Thanks, guys. The guitar definitely distorted somehow didn't it? I wonder if that's because of the vocal mic picking up some of it and creating a phasey situation?

I may try a second mic just for the guitar instead.

I bet micing the guitar would fix it, because the vocal clarity is perfect, but the guitar signal sounds digitized and has some kind of latency -- maybe a weird loop from what the vocal mic is trying to pick up too. I'd try bypassing the TD next time and see how it goes.

wweiss 03-30-2020 04:56 PM

Better than Dylan!
Where can I buy the CD?

buzzardwhiskey 03-30-2020 06:31 PM

Haha. :) Maybe Dylan will do a streaming concert.

GuitarLuva 03-30-2020 08:32 PM

I use some plugins in reaper that cause a latency if I use them for live playing vs placing them in a recording after the fact. What plugins were you running if any? Keep up the good work this is the norm for who knows how long.

buzzardwhiskey 03-30-2020 10:13 PM

I have gone down a serious rabbit hole.

So get this, if I put my vocals and guitar directly into a nice PA and mic the PA speaker with a single mic going into my Audient iD14 and then directly into the Zoom streaming service, my guitar sound bizarre and warbly.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I can not get the guitar to sound right. Not mic'd alone. Not direct into my Audient. Nothing.

There is something about Zoom or something about my interface and Zoom.

tadol 03-30-2020 11:06 PM

I think its something with Zoom - I’ve never heard the TD sound like that -

CASD57 03-31-2020 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey (Post 6334018)
I have gone down a serious rabbit hole.

So get this, if I put my vocals and guitar directly into a nice PA and mic the PA speaker with a single mic going into my Audient iD14 and then directly into the Zoom streaming service, my guitar sound bizarre and warbly.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I can not get the guitar to sound right. Not mic'd alone. Not direct into my Audient. Nothing.

There is something about Zoom or something about my interface and Zoom.

If you are using any vocal fixers in the same mic as the guitar..you might be getting bleed-over
My mic mechamic would try to auto tune me and my guitar and it would cause the warbling..

varmonter 03-31-2020 05:53 AM

Well played for sure.
Regarding the guitar there is to my ear
a phase shifting sound to it. That warbly
sound you hear. my take on this would
be to apply the keep it simple factor to it.
I would try first just to mic the guitar and vocals.
directly to zoom.
Add any post production processing ie reaper
one thing at a time. Then try just the guitar thru the TD. then add the next thing. until you find out whats causing
the issue.
Another option would be a large capsule condenser mic.
and record the guitar and vocals at the same time into
that.

CASD57 03-31-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varmonter (Post 6334130)
Well played for sure.
Regarding the guitar there is to my ear
a phase shifting sound to it. That warbly
sound you hear. my take on this would
be to apply the keep it simple factor to it.
I would try first just to mic the guitar and vocals.
directly to zoom.
Add any post production processing ie reaper
one thing at a time. Then try just the guitar thru the TD. then add the next thing. until you find out whats causing
the issue.
Another option would be a large capsule condenser mic.
and record the guitar and vocals at the same time into
that.

This what I do for YouTube one condenser into a Focusrite 2i2 3 gen works well enough for my needs.

buzzardwhiskey 03-31-2020 10:26 AM

Thanks, everone.

What I've learned is that Zoom sucks. I have played my guitar, through a single mic, with no processing whatsoever, no DAW, and it sounds grotesque.

The streaming platform, or my Internet speeds, or something outside my control is screwing it up.

The service is not made for concerts or instruments at all. It's designed to modulate vocal volumes for meetings.

David

tadol 03-31-2020 10:34 AM

I had a feeling that was it - my wifes Zumba leader has been doing sessions on-line with her group using Zoom, and they can talk to each other and share video, but the music they use for their workout sounds horrible.