The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Kostal Modified Dreadnought The Tree/German/Wedge (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200003)

riorider 11-22-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 2417085)
The woods are pretty spectacular but the tone is going to make the visuals all but irrelevant!

Well, I wouldn't go quite as far as "irrelevant" !!!
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g..._D7C5361-1.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 2417085)
Thank you Joel, yes indeed, once I'd decided on mahogany there was really only one option!

*sigh* Yep!

Thanks for posting Michael - and I'll be very much looking forward to seeing and hearing you play it at Healdsburg!

Best,

Phil

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riorider (Post 2417147)
Well, I wouldn't go quite as far as "irrelevant" !!!
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g..._D7C5361-1.jpg

*sigh* Yep!

Thanks for posting Michael - and I'll be very much looking forward to seeing and hearing you play it at Healdsburg!

Best,

Phil

Ha! Hey Phil, that Baranik is utterly stunning, let's put them side by side in H'burg!

riorider 11-22-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 2417175)
Ha! Hey Phil, that Baranik is utterly stunning, let's put them side by side in H'burg!

Great idea! I'll bring it if you'll play it!
Phil

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 11:35 AM

I'd be very happy to!

D. Ramsey 11-22-2010 11:38 AM

Just wondering, what is the purpose for the extra ebony brace strips across the back ?

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2417122)
Is the inside of the back finished?

I'll love to hear your thoughts on the wedge when it is completed. I think I'm putting on on my upcoming and am very excited about the fact that it will make my fingerstyle playing while standing a bit easier.

Yes the back is indeed finished with a hand-rubbed coat of shellac.

As far as the Manzer wedge goes, well, it's a wonderful thing! I've played all sorts of guitars with the feature built in, including some of linda's own builds, and each one has been a joy to hold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Ramsey (Post 2417214)
Just wondering, what is the purpose for the extra ebony brace strips across the back ?

The ebony strips (they're not really braces as they're only 20 thousands of an inch thick) are simply there to re-inforce and stabilise the back. A lot of the Somogyi build methodology is centred around solving common problems before they happen! This approach has no adverse effect on the way the "air-pump" works.

Just spoke to Jason, the top is joined and he's working on the rosette, it'll be a variation on his "stained glass" design

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/u...talrosette.jpg

With a little something extra. I've given Jason carte blanche as far as the design goes, I have no doubt it will be gorgeous...

akivisuals 11-22-2010 01:26 PM

Looks like a great start to a great guitar. I'm curious as to how Jason's guitars compare to the fine guitars that you've played in the past. I'm sure having played so many of the finest luthiers guitars you have a good reference point. Did you pick Jason because his guitars sound the best to your ear or is it a tradeoff with affordability? Also, I'm curious as to what Jason's base prices are. Thanks! Congrats on your new build!

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akivisuals (Post 2417363)
Looks like a great start to a great guitar. I'm curious as to how Jason's guitars compare to the fine guitars that you've played in the past. I'm sure having played so many of the finest luthiers guitars you have a good reference point. Did you pick Jason because his guitars sound the best to your ear or is it a tradeoff with affordability? Also, I'm curious as to what Jason's base prices are. Thanks! Congrats on your new build!

No trade-offs at all. Jason is an extraordinarily talented builder with a new voice that has its roots in Ervin Somogyi's sublime work but is unique, powerful and responded wonderfully to everything I threw at it. I was in the market for a new guitar and I was lucky enough to find someone who knows my playing and what I demand from an instrument. It's nice when things work out like that!

jeastman 11-22-2010 01:42 PM

Do you know when Jason's website will be back up? I'd love to see some of his work.

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2417396)
Do you know when Jason's website will be back up? I'd love to see some of his work.

Well, he's got his webmaster working on it at the moment, it's going to be gorgeous but it'll be a little while. I was going to delay the build thread until it was ready but just couldn't resist!

D. Ramsey 11-22-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 2417342)

The ebony strips (they're not really braces as they're only 20 thousands of an inch thick) are simply there to re-inforce and stabilise the back. A lot of the Somogyi build methodology is centred around solving common problems before they happen! This approach has no adverse effect on the way the "air-pump" works. ...

So is part of this method that the backs are thinned more than most builders to make it more lively,
thus needing extra stability or was it just the wood choice in general he felt the need?

I'm just trying to learn about building and methods applied and this has me curious since it isn't so common.

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Ramsey (Post 2417549)
So is part of this method that the backs are thinned more than most builders to make it more lively,
thus needing extra stability or was it just the wood choice in general he felt the need?

I'm just trying to learn about building and methods applied and this has me curious since it isn't so common.

Neither really, it's just added strength in an area that can prove problematic regardless of woods used.

D. Ramsey 11-22-2010 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the rest of the build. I'm sure it is going to be something special.... Love that Rosette :)

Michael Watts 11-22-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Ramsey (Post 2417559)
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the rest of the build. I'm sure it is going to be something special.... Love that Rosette :)

Each of Jason's rosettes is unique and very beautiful. I can't wait to see what he has planned for my own guitar.

Fliss 11-22-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 2417342)
Just spoke to Jason, the top is joined and he's working on the rosette, it'll be a variation on his "stained glass" design

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/u...talrosette.jpg

With a little something extra. I've given Jason carte blanche as far as the design goes, I have no doubt it will be gorgeous...

Wow, that one is gorgeous indeed! I'm sure yours is going to be stunning!

Fliss