The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hosco Nut Files (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569706)

Wooly 01-18-2020 05:01 PM

Hosco Nut Files

I'm looking at getting a different set of nut files . Possibly these.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hosco-TLNF3A...-/372451949099

These are supposed to be for acoustic guitar but the thinnest one starts at .016
I would think that most acoustic high E strings are typically .011 - .013. Would these still be OK to use?

I not a tech or builder but I do my own set ups and have done some for a few friends. Tried cleaning my old files but they, for some reason, aren't doing the job. I suspect they aren't as hardened as they should be or maybe I misused them not knowing any better. Live and learn.

charles Tauber 01-18-2020 06:05 PM

Japanese files are likely better and cheaper and available in whatever sizes you want: http://www.japarts.ca/Uo-Chikyu/Uo-C...-Nut-Files.asp

Wooly 01-20-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 6268835)
Japanese files are likely better and cheaper and available in whatever sizes you want: http://www.japarts.ca/Uo-Chikyu/Uo-C...-Nut-Files.asp

I already have a set of these and I now found that they are made of stainless steel instead of hardened steel. Maybe that's why they wore out so fast. I have read that stainless steel doesn't last.

charles Tauber 01-20-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooly (Post 6270812)
I already have a set of these and I now found that they are made of stainless steel instead of hardened steel. Maybe that's why they wore out so fast. I have read that stainless steel doesn't last.

Thanks for the heads-up. Bruce recently mentioned that unhardened stainless don't last as long. I didn't realize that those were stainless.

The Stew Mac files last a long time. The set I have is about 20 years old. I'd suggest their gauged saws as well, particularly for the first two strings. Particularly for the top two strings, for the last few decades, I've used an X-Acto saw blade in an X-Acto knife handle, about $10.

Wooly 01-20-2020 10:33 PM

May have to suck it up and just go for the Stewmac set. Don't know how often I would use them but nice to have when needed.

srick 01-21-2020 05:08 AM

I've read a ton of AGF threads about 'How to Find a Cheaper Set of Files'. I had previously used a razor saw, Chinese needle files, and welding cleaners. I wasn't happy with the effort needed to achieve a result.

I finally ponied up and bought a set of the Stew Macs, After I received them, it took very little time to become adept at using them and the results were perfect. You may not be cutting a new nut that often, but every guitar needs a few tweaks (even my Bourgeois).

The Stew Macs will save you a bunch of time and frustration in the long run. They're the right tool for the job. And I'm sure that if you ever tire of them, you could place an ad here and they would be gone in a day.

Wooly 01-21-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srick (Post 6271098)
I've read a ton of AGF threads about 'How to Find a Cheaper Set of Files'. I had previously used a razor saw, Chinese needle files, and welding cleaners. I wasn't happy with the effort needed to achieve a result.

I finally ponied up and bought a set of the Stew Macs, After I received them, it took very little time to become adept at using them and the results were perfect. You may not be cutting a new nut that often, but every guitar needs a few tweaks (even my Bourgeois).

The Stew Macs will save you a bunch of time and frustration in the long run. They're the right tool for the job. And I'm sure that if you ever tire of them, you could place an ad here and they would be gone in a day.

You are right. I placed an order for a set:up:

redir 01-21-2020 08:35 AM

To answer one part of your question, in my opinion, the 16 is perfectly fine for the first two slots.

srick 01-21-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooly (Post 6271245)
You are right. I placed an order for a set:up:

Have fun!

Wooly 01-21-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 6271260)
To answer one part of your question, in my opinion, the 16 is perfectly fine for the first two slots.

Thanks. I was tempted to order but for $25.00 more I'm getting a Stewmac set. Then I know for certain what I have.

Cool555 03-06-2020 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooly (Post 6271859)
Thanks. I was tempted to order but for $25.00 more I'm getting a Stewmac set. Then I know for certain what I have.

Hi Wooly, Are the Stewmac nut files easy to use? I am thinking of ordering them to file down the nut of 2 of my guitars. I'm a newbie when it comes to a guitar setup but I've read up and seen videos of how to go about doing a setup. :)

Codfather 03-06-2020 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooly (Post 6270812)

Very surprised they wore out.
Are you working in a high volume repair shop?(100+guitar setups per year)

redir 03-06-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool555 (Post 6310116)
Hi Wooly, Are the Stewmac nut files easy to use?

Yes but I have had problems with them too till I changed my method. What I used to do with my needle files was shape a nut nice and square and fit then measure and cut the slots to a pencil line marked at fret height. Then I would shape the top of the nut leaving the slots only just deep enough for the strings.

What I found with the Stew Mac files, particularly on the Low-E string, was that it was easy to crack the edge of the nut off when filing a deep slot. So what I do now is shape the top of the nut very close to it's final height - then measure and cut the slots.

What was happening is that when filing deep slots the file would bind and crack the bone.

I hope that makes sense.

Cool555 03-06-2020 11:28 AM

Hosco Nut Files

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 6310262)
Yes but I have had problems with them too till I changed my method. What I used to do with my needle files was shape a nut nice and square and fit then measure and cut the slots to a pencil line marked at fret height. Then I would shape the top of the nut leaving the slots only just deep enough for the strings.

What I found with the Stew Mac files, particularly on the Low-E string, was that it was easy to crack the edge of the nut off when filing a deep slot. So what I do now is shape the top of the nut very close to it's final height - then measure and cut the slots.

What was happening is that when filing deep slots the file would bind and crack the bone.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Redir for your feedback! :up:

I just ordered a set of 6 nut files from Stewmac. It will take about 1-4 weeks to reach me as I’m outside the US.

I may give my feedback here after I’ve tried lowering the action. Hope it will be a pleasant endeavor. :)

Rangerdave1 03-07-2020 07:23 AM

Sounds like it is too late but Lee Valley has some nice nut files... Canadian retailer too..

They are Hiroshima Yasuri, japanese files. I have them and they are nice but can not comment on durability yet.. about $20 each CDN

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...slotting-files