The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Slotted Headstock Tuner winding direction (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563006)

Dane Johnson 11-07-2019 01:07 AM

Slotted Headstock Tuner winding direction

I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but I’m pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?

runamuck 11-07-2019 01:36 AM

All strings should wind over the top of each post.

Quickstep192 11-07-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane Johnson (Post 6205030)
I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but I’m pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?

Yep, that’s how they are and it’s a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, I’d expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.

JonWint 11-07-2019 09:05 AM

On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.

merlin666 11-07-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickstep192 (Post 6205173)
Yep, that’s how they are and it’s a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, I’d expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.

Yes that confused the heck out of me. I have a slotted headstock 12 string guitar that I was used to, then last year got two ukuleles with friction tuners where I tend to turn the tuners in the "wrong" direction ...

Dane Johnson 11-07-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonWint (Post 6205249)
On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.

Thank you for clearing this up. I can’t see how any of the tuners could wind any other way than over the top and way from the Nut, as mentioned in an above post.

I’m curious why they have been designed in this fashion. It lends to the numerous other forum questions that start “I’ve restrung the wrong way, does it matter?”