The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can't attach new guitar strap :( (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88953)

SherriA 11-06-2006 02:15 PM

Can't attach new guitar strap :(

I received a nice Levy's guitar strap this past weekend and when I went to attach it the button on the bottom of the guitar popped out :( When I put the strap on first and then put the button back in, it just popped right back out... almost as if it couldn't handle having a strap (which would defeat its purpose, right?!)

What am I doing wrong, or is there a way to work around this? Also, is it possible to have a button attached to the base of the neck so I don't have to use the tie-thing?

Randal_S 11-06-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherriA (Post 1041309)
I received a nice Levy's guitar strap this past weekend and when I went to attach it the button on the bottom of the guitar popped out :( When I put the strap on first and then put the button back in, it just popped right back out... almost as if it couldn't handle having a strap (which would defeat its purpose, right?!)

What am I doing wrong, or is there a way to work around this? Also, is it possible to have a button attached to the base of the neck so I don't have to use the tie-thing?

Assuming that this guitar has a standard tapered end pin, you may try wrapping a bit of masking tape around the pin to make it a bit larger. Then, the pin should be tight enough to hold the strap without popping out. Word of caution... you probably won't need much tape. Also, don't force the pin if it's too large after adding tape... remove tape as necessary. if you try to force it, you may split the end block or crack the guitar.

Yes, you can have a strap pin added to the base of the neck. I recommend having a tech at the shop do this, as they'll likely have experience and know where the pin should be placed to avoid damaging the neck joint.

ljguitar 11-06-2006 02:45 PM

Hi Sherri...

A few winds of dental floss will do the trick to help you tighten it. Just wind several tightly wrapped revolutions with large gaps. The wax & string will help hold it withoutout leaving residue on the end peg.

Put it in with a twist to seat it, then pull straight out on it to see if it is holding.

mjz 11-06-2006 06:55 PM

Sherri:

Is it dry where your guitar presently lives? Sometimes this phenomenon is a sign that your guitar is thirsty.

mz

AndrewG 11-06-2006 08:31 PM

You can easily fit a strap button on to the treble side of the heel. Make sure you drill a pilot hole first to avoid splitting the wood and fit a felt washer between the button and the heel. Don't fit it on the base of the heel or the guitar will tip forward and away from you on a strap.