The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New original "Airborne" dedicated to those affected by COVID-19 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576093)

Dustinfurlow 03-25-2020 06:16 AM

New original "Airborne" dedicated to those affected by COVID-19
 
Hey AGF fam, this will be a long intro, so bear with me.

I began composing this piece entitled “Airborne” almost two weeks ago before this pandemic became a tangible reality for so many of us - The working title was “Peace and Tension” and since then it has evolved and revealed a lot of very important, profound truths to me. It took more than a week for me to realize that what I was really composing about was fear, or more accurately anxiety, which perpetuated from being cut off from the things and people I love, having to sell 3 guitars because of the likelihood of not having gigs for 2-3 months, even feeling pressure as a professional performing artist to do constant live-streams to stay relevant or make tips.

I’ve refrained from posting any thoughts on the coronavirus situation as I’m aware of how congested everyone’s head is about it, including my own. What became clear to me yesterday when I finished this song is that I've been coping with the tension by writing, and that not everyone is lucky enough to have a healthy or even efficient coping-mechanism in this time. I acknowledge that I don’t have it as bad as many of you or your loved ones. All I have to offer is this song, it is a dedication to loved ones who have been affected by COVID-19, in one way or another.

It should be stated that the most profound truth I realized from composing this song is that music is all I have - and ever will have to offer this world…I think my guitar has been telling me during our abundant, late-night conversations lately that it needs to be offered more now than ever in my 26 years on this rock. Music is the great communicator and the most important gift we have in this life other than the ability to love and care for eachother in our brief time here. I hope this song can move or ease the minds of at least a few of you. If you deem it worthy of a share, please do so. Later today this guitar is being shipped out to a fellow forum member and capturing this song has felt like a way of saying “goodbye" and "thank you” to it. I enjoyed my time with it so much.

https://youtu.be/ogsYFl_fjT4

islandguitar 03-25-2020 10:44 AM

Dustin....great job( listened a couple of times now).....so much emotion and textures to your new piece. Of course, wonderful playing. I really like the triplets beginning around 2:33 a nice treat for the ears right in there!
Sorry to learn you're having to let go of this Goodall.......and more........not an easy time, for sure!
I know AGF would like and appreciate hearing about any online work you're doing, so we can join in and support you. Let us know??
Be well and take good care,
Fred

reeve21 03-25-2020 02:39 PM

Well said, and well done, Dustin.

You have rare gifts, and "the right stuff" to get the most out of them.

I'm confident you will come through this better than ever!!!

Thanks for sharing that.

Dustinfurlow 03-26-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 6328403)
Dustin....great job( listened a couple of times now).....so much emotion and textures to your new piece. Of course, wonderful playing. I really like the triplets beginning around 2:33 a nice treat for the ears right in there!
Sorry to learn you're having to let go of this Goodall.......and more........not an easy time, for sure!
I know AGF would like and appreciate hearing about any online work you're doing, so we can join in and support you. Let us know??
Be well and take good care,
Fred

Thank you so much Fred, it was tough selling the Goodall but as one chapter ends another begins! Iím using this time to write a lot and actually am not doing the livestream or teaching thing currently. We will see if that changes

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeve21 (Post 6328661)
Well said, and well done, Dustin.

You have rare gifts, and "the right stuff" to get the most out of them.

I'm confident you will come through this better than ever!!!

Thanks for sharing that.

Thank you so much man, I appreciate the encouragement. I sold three guitars to be safe do feeling like I may be in a better spot now. Just itching to perform! This is the longest Iíve gone without a gig since I was maybe 21!

cedartop52 03-26-2020 07:46 AM

What a fantastic and moving composition! You've expressed yourself so effectively through your music and in your farewell dance with the Goodall. I found this very inspiring on several levels...thanks Dan

The Doc... 03-26-2020 09:49 AM

This was...
 
Wonderful...Beautiful...Uplifting...Moving...Brill iant...Soothing...Comforting.

Much thanks for posting this.

Jeremy 03-26-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 6329420)
Wonderful...Beautiful...Uplifting...Moving...Brill iant...Soothing...Comforting.

Much thanks for posting this.

Couldn't say it better myself.

Dustinfurlow 03-27-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedartop52 (Post 6329249)
What a fantastic and moving composition! You've expressed yourself so effectively through your music and in your farewell dance with the Goodall. I found this very inspiring on several levels...thanks Dan

Iím really happy to hear that, brother. Hope all is well in this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 6329420)
Wonderful...Beautiful...Uplifting...Moving...Brill iant...Soothing...Comforting.

Much thanks for posting this.

And many thanks for listening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 6329520)
Couldn't say it better myself.

Thank you Jeremy

Glennwillow 03-28-2020 06:24 PM

Lovely composition and beautifully played Dustin!

I really enjoyed that!

- Glenn

Dustinfurlow 03-29-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6331958)
Lovely composition and beautifully played Dustin!

I really enjoyed that!

- Glenn

Thank you Sir!

started with 1 03-29-2020 04:38 PM

Thanks for the music and the introduction. Both are great.

Beakybird 03-29-2020 06:12 PM

Dustin: You have impeccable timing and a great feel that goes from punchy to tender.

The guitar/mic combo is perfect.

You got another fan.

SprintBob 03-29-2020 07:18 PM

Wonderful, thanks for sharing with us. Always inspiring.

Dustinfurlow 03-31-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by started with 1 (Post 6332833)
Thanks for the music and the introduction. Both are great.

Thank you very much for listening for a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 6332921)
Dustin: You have impeccable timing and a great feel that goes from punchy to tender.

The guitar/mic combo is perfect.

You got another fan.

Wow, thank you! Yeah for a rosewood guitar that Goodall had some really great microphone manners. There was no eq on this recording, just a splash of reverb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6332957)
Wonderful, thanks for sharing with us. Always inspiring.

Thanks Bob, Iím very glad you enjoyed it

Treenewt 04-02-2020 08:46 AM

Dustin,

Thank you for sharing...the song and your thoughts. Really uplifting to listen/read both.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=