The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   “Gluten Free”: Overblown? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533596)

Wadcutter 01-04-2019 05:41 PM

“Gluten Free”: Overblown?
 
What do you guys think of all this 21st Century gluten phobia going down all around us? Is gluten REALLY all the food allergy problem that it’s ginned up to be or is this some kind of bull crap to gouge the consumer into paying more for “gluten free” products? And man those products are WAY more expensive than stuff with gluten in it. Maybe it is legit, I don’t know, but it sure seems to send my red flags a flyin’.

fumei 01-04-2019 06:03 PM

Well, for SOME people gluten is seriously bad, but the number of these people with diagnosed issues is tiny.

There does seem to be some general issues with wheat itself, although the science is not definitive.

I personally think it is overblown, except again for those who indeed DO have gluten intolerance. For them, yeah, it is a real thing.

Ozzy the dog 01-04-2019 06:11 PM

For those genuinely affected by this it is a very serious pain but unfortunately this is set aside by those who find it fashionable to be gluten intolerant.

Some people are gluten for punishment.

Denny B 01-04-2019 06:14 PM

I actually read an article recently about the number of people who are allergic to gluten and it said there weren't any really hard numbers, but they estimated that it was only about 0.6% of the American population.. serious problem if you have it, but I'm not sure that justifies the media hype surrounding the topic...

I also heard a comedian say that people in California were so afraid of gluten that you could hold up a bank with a bagel... :)

jonnyd 01-04-2019 06:14 PM

Gluten for punishment, good one!

Scootch 01-04-2019 06:17 PM

If you have celiac disease, avoidance of gluten is an absolute must.

If you do not have celiac disease you are probably better off with gluten in your diet.

If you know someone without celiac disease and they swear how much better they after dropping gluten from their diet, it’s probably because they are eating healthier over all.

eatswodo 01-04-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootch (Post 5938628)
If you have celiac disease, avoidance of gluten is an absolute must.

If you do not have celiac disease you are probably better off with gluten in your diet.

If you know someone without celiac disease and they swear how much better they after dropping gluten from their diet, it’s probably because they are eating healthier over all.

I couldn't agree more. My mother was diagnosed as celiac some 20 years ago - she's 91 now. Her sister (my aunt) is also celiac. I know, from first-hand experience, how serious this is for them. My first question for anyone who has self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant is 'have you been tested?'

RedJoker 01-04-2019 07:48 PM

I have a friend that is a celiac and she loves it. She has WAY more options now. For those that aren't truly allergic but are avoiding it and eating healthier, good for them too. I'll gladly put up with additional items in the grocery store for those benefits.

Blueser100 01-04-2019 07:58 PM

My brother changed to gluten free and it changed his life. Lost 25 lbs, and no more IBS symptoms.

henryrobinett 01-04-2019 08:34 PM

Going gluten free changed my life.

buddyhu 01-04-2019 08:52 PM

The sometimes unkind speculation, and always unhelpful innuendo about the "reality" of someone else's health problems is much more overblown, IMO.

Unless someone posting here is in a position to diagnose or to treat a health problem that is claimed to be gluten related, it is really NONE OF OUR BUSINESS!!!

And the history of medicine has proved time and again that something is "all in the patient's head" until a new specialty dawns, and new specialists develop a diagnosis (and, if they are lucky, they eventually discover an effective treatment), as well as demonstrating that treatments that are not understood are labeled "placebos" until they are proven effective (acupuncture for pain is a fine example).

:mad::mad::mad::sick::sick::sick:

fazool 01-04-2019 09:12 PM

Do you remember in the 50's when doctors used to advertise cigarettes as good for you? They did. Why? Because there was a tobacco industry making a lot of money off it.

Do you remember in the 90's when Ritalin was the most prescribed drug in America and doctors were pumping it down kids throats in shocking percentages? Why? Because there was a pharmaceutical industry making a lot of money off it.

Do you remember when Americans were convinced that regulated and safest drinking water in the world was dangerous and they had to buy and landfill plastic bottles of water eight times a day? Why? Because there is a bottled water industry making a lot of money off it.

you get my point......

Anywhere someone can latch on to rare problems to make money and they will.

Otterhound 01-04-2019 09:16 PM

Prudence , my Airedale , has a serious allergy to gluten . Long story short , it nearly killed her .

1neeto 01-05-2019 01:40 AM

I know about celiac disease, it’s serious stuff. But gluten-free has been sold to customers as a healthy alternative “gluten is bad for you”. It’s all nonsense. Those who go gluten-free and claim to have lost weight because of it, is mostly because they cut off most simple carbohydrate foods off their diet after realizing that things like gluten free bread, pizza, and beer tastes terrible, and decided to also get off the couch and move a bit more.

Neil K Walk 01-05-2019 01:51 AM

The gluten free diet is a common treatment for those suffering from Celiac's disease and leaky gut syndrome.

My son has autism and for a time we consulted with a neurodevelopmental pediatrician who had us get blood drawn for a number of tests for a biomedical treatment plan. Among them was the IgG antibody test for elevated antibodies. I don't completely understand the theories behind this but it was my understanding that the presence of these antibodies indicated an intolerance to the gluten protein found in most wheats, as well as the casein protein in dairy, as well as a sensitivity to soy which is also a common allergen. While Celiac's was not a concern, leaky gut syndrome was. It was shown via blood test results that my son's antibody count was elevated beyond the norm and that doctor's belief that it was causing a sort of autoimmune response that was literally eating holes into his intestinal tract. This is turn was believed to be causing an inflammation in his gut that was also causing inflammation in his brain via the vagus nerve, leading to delayed development in speech and causing him emotional distress.

I should also add that in addition to cutting out gluten, casein and soy from his diet we were also told to give him magnesium, DHA Omega 3 fish oil and probiotics - in addition to other supplements such as vitamin D3 and CoQ10 and vitamin B12.

So for a year we did the gluten/casein/soy free diet and it helped briefly but not significantly so we ended the diet after about a year. FWIW, we do notice that our son can overcome a viral illness in hours, so I do believe that his immune system is indeed overstimulated but we have also since stopped advising with that doctor.

Do I think the gluten free diet was helping? Probably. Would I have done it without a blood test? No.

In our case though, it was not a fad and I don't think it's for everybody. Do I think that it's overblown? Not any more than any other placebo that the desperate turn to.

Maryc-k 01-05-2019 04:47 AM

I can honestly tell you that being gluten free is a real pain. I can also tell you that there is a big difference between celiac and having an allergy to wheat. While I do not have the celiac marker, scratch testing revealed and confirmed my wheat and milk issues after the elimination diet I was on pointed in that direction.

Gluten free foods have their own issues, so I avoid these when I can. As an avid food ingredient label reader, I am amazed at what is actually in a lot of foods, and that casein (which is a milk protein product) and wheat can be found in a lot of things you’d hardly expect.

Is it all hype? Not for me, but then again, given the choice of being sick or following a special diet and feeling good is a no brainer.

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 5938665)
I couldn't agree more. My mother was diagnosed as celiac some 20 years ago - she's 91 now. Her sister (my aunt) is also celiac. I know, from first-hand experience, how serious this is for them. My first question for anyone who has self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant is 'have you been tested?'

Exactly. My daughter-in-law thinks she’s “gluten intolerant” and has never been medically tested.

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1neeto (Post 5938862)
I know about celiac disease, it’s serious stuff. But gluten-free has been sold to customers as a healthy alternative “gluten is bad for you”. It’s all nonsense. Those who go gluten-free and claim to have lost weight because of it, is mostly because they cut off most simple carbohydrate foods off their diet after realizing that things like gluten free bread, pizza, and beer tastes terrible, and decided to also get off the couch and move a bit more.

My thought as well. I think they lost weight because they went “carb free,” not “gluten free.” But I could be wrong. I’m certainly no doctor or scientist, just a guy reading the news and reacting.

RedJoker 01-05-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5939008)
My thought as well. I think they lost weight because they went “carb free,” not “gluten free.” But I could be wrong. I’m certainly no doctor or scientist, just a guy reading the news and reacting.

So just curious, do you think this is a bad thing? I guess I don't see the harm. If folks want to spend more money for gluten free, they are free to do that.

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJoker (Post 5939013)
So just curious, do you think this is a bad thing? I guess I don't see the harm. If folks want to spend more money for gluten free, they are free to do that.

No, RJ, I don’t necessarily see it as a “bad” thing, I’m just naturally suspicious when it comes to the commercial food industry and their propaganda machine. As you said, if folks want to spend their money on gluten free products, hey, have at it folks, no sweat off my brow as they say.

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil K Walk (Post 5938865)
The gluten free diet is a common treatment for those suffering from Celiac's disease and leaky gut syndrome.

My son has autism and for a time we consulted with a neurodevelopmental pediatrician who had us get blood drawn for a number of tests for a biomedical treatment plan. Among them was the IgG antibody test for elevated antibodies. I don't completely understand the theories behind this but it was my understanding that the presence of these antibodies indicated an intolerance to the gluten protein found in most wheats, as well as the casein protein in dairy, as well as a sensitivity to soy which is also a common allergen. While Celiac's was not a concern, leaky gut syndrome was. It was shown via blood test results that my son's antibody count was elevated beyond the norm and that doctor's belief that it was causing a sort of autoimmune response that was literally eating holes into his intestinal tract. This is turn was believed to be causing an inflammation in his gut that was also causing inflammation in his brain via the vagus nerve, leading to delayed development in speech and causing him emotional distress.

I should also add that in addition to cutting out gluten, casein and soy from his diet we were also told to give him magnesium, DHA Omega 3 fish oil and probiotics - in addition to other supplements such as vitamin D3 and CoQ10 and vitamin B12.

So for a year we did the gluten/casein/soy free diet and it helped briefly but not significantly so we ended the diet after about a year. FWIW, we do notice that our son can overcome a viral illness in hours, so I do believe that his immune system is indeed overstimulated but we have also since stopped advising with that doctor.

Do I think the gluten free diet was helping? Probably. Would I have done it without a blood test? No.

In our case though, it was not a fad and I don't think it's for everybody. Do I think that it's overblown? Not any more than any other placebo that the desperate turn to.

Very interesting post Neil. Thanks for joining the discussion. And as a side note, awesome gaggle of axes three bro!

Maryc-k 01-05-2019 09:47 AM

Just because it’s gluten free food, does not mean it’s heathy. Read the labels. Lots of this food is high in sodium and other, not so healthy ingredients, that make it palatable and stick together. Balance is the key to healthy eating.

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryc-k (Post 5939062)
Just because it’s gluten free food, does not mean it’s heathy. Read the labels. Lots of this food is high in sodium and other, not so healthy ingredients, that make it palatable and stick together. Balance is the key to healthy eating.

It is amazing the amount of sodium in food today.

Basalt Beach 01-05-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5939068)
It is amazing the amount of sodium in food today.

When you cook from scratch, like my grand parents, parents and like my better half & I do today, you can control the amount of sodium. We rarely purchase processed foods.

We have a good friend who was tested and he becomes quite ill when having anything with gluten in it. There are some who may try to exploit the issue of gluten for personal or corporate gain, however for some individuals, it is very serious health concern. If it works for those who desire to lose weight, then so be it. The selection availability and price may be worth the quality of life improvement and potential health savings to those folks

Separately, John Pinette incorporated "gluten free" into his routine (1 min 20 second mark) back back in 2011, so the topic has been relevant for some time.


Wadcutter 01-05-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basalt Beach (Post 5939091)
When you cook from scratch, like my grand parents, parents and like my better half & I do today, you can control the amount of sodium. We rarely purchase processed foods.

We have a good friend who was tested and he becomes quite ill when having anything with gluten in it. There are some who may try to exploit the issue of gluten for personal or corporate gain, however for some individuals, it is very serious health concern. If it works for those who desire to lose weight, then so be it. The selection availability and price may be worth the quality of life improvement and potential health savings to those folks

Separately, John Pinette incorporated "gluten free" into his routine (1 min 20 second mark) back back in 2011, so the topic has been relevant for some time.


Now that was a FUNNY video!

Basalt Beach 01-05-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5939097)
Now that was a FUNNY video!

Here is the full routine....

Nymuso 01-05-2019 11:18 AM

It's the current Big Thing until the next Big Thing.

Edgar Poe 01-05-2019 11:45 AM

For the past 5000 plus years people have eaten Gluten bread. Now it's bad for you ?
Bread and wine have been served for millennium.

Ed

muscmp 01-05-2019 11:47 AM

what may not affect you may affect others.

my sister has MS and she has cut gluten from her diet. this won't stop the MS but she says she feels better and that is all that matters.

i am skeptical about natural vs. organic and whether or not that is a benefit. the bananas all look the same to me.

play music!

Wadcutter 01-05-2019 12:06 PM

“she says she feels better and that is all that matters.” Your darn right. If eating gluten free helps her then more power to her I say.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=