The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Enjoying the Spire Studio (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502715)

benjamin1884 03-28-2020 01:03 PM

Hallelujah, New lyrics by Cindy Benjamin

Cindy rewrote the lyrics. She wanted an uplifting message to this beautiful music Leonard Cohen wrote.
Hope you enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/1552067488/...1008486192486/

Captain Jim 04-06-2020 06:57 PM

I recorded some tracks with my Spire on Saturday, and sent them off to my music partner. Took Sunday off. Today, I went into my music room, turned everything on, and the large diaphram condenser mic I had plugged into the top preamp of the Spire wasn't disconnecting the onboard mic. (???) I tried a dynamic mic into that same preamp - no go. I tried a different XLR cable. Then another. I put a 1/4" cable into it, and it worked fine. I tried the first mic again... nothing.

I sent an e-mail off to iZotope and got a response in about an hour... pretty impressive, considering what is going on in the world these days. The guy at the other end of the e-mail told me there has been some issues with XLR cables that have "slightly smaller diameter pins in the male part of the XLR, not activating the cut-out for the onboard mic."

That sounded like a bit of a reach to me, but there was another track I wanted to get recorded and sent off today. I tried a third XLR cable - same results. I tried a fourth cable and... it worked! I marked that cable.

Now for full disclosure, the first XLR cable was fine on Saturday, and it was the same cable in the same preamp on the Spire. No idea why it was fine on Saturday, but wouldn't work today. Testing all the cables into my mixer - they're all fine. :confused:

The upside of this: iZotope Support on the Spire was right on my inquiry. I think my issue is solved, and I'm ordering a couple new XLR cables (not easy to find quality cables in short lengths). I have used the Spire a lot in the last couple months. I wondered if I might be wearing the internal female XLR connections in the Spire, but my new best friend from iZotope said that was very unlikely.

We'll see if it all works tomorrow.

Captain Jim 04-07-2020 08:17 AM

Another Spire Studio project, this time a cover of the Beatles song Yesterday. I have always enjoyed that song, but didn't learn it until about 10 days ago, right before we left Arizona. Mark and I did a scratch track. Once home in Texas, I used the new sE mic for the first time to record the vocals. I have used the built-in condenser mic on the Spire, but this was the first time with an external large diaphram condenser mic for me. Obviously, the technique is different, and I will have time to experiment with it.

I recorded acoustic guitar, bass, percussion, and vocals; sent the tracks to Mark where he added piano and strings (synth).

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j_UPjioP6...7MarkJimCU.jpg

Captain Jim 04-25-2020 06:41 AM

My music partner Mark wrote this one - it takes me back to our rock roots. Not acoustic, we both played electric guitar on this one, as well as the other instruments. We shared vocals. Once again, the Spire Studio makes the collaboration easy. Mark also wrote the clever lyrics. Hope you enjoy this one...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ldc4Tooca...0/JimMarkE.jpg

Acousticado 04-26-2020 12:55 PM

Well, after continued study of numerous threads and having decided that video isn’t a priority for me at the moment whereas simplicity of recording with good audio is, I just took the plunge and ordered a Spire from BestBuy Canada for Cdn$239 (US$169) + tax.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and others with your own learning journey with various devices and recordings. I am a benefactor and it is appreciated.

Acousticado 04-26-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6341149)
Another Spire Studio project, this time a cover of the Beatles song Yesterday. I have always enjoyed that song, but didn't learn it until about 10 days ago, right before we left Arizona. Mark and I did a scratch track. Once home in Texas, I used the new sE mic for the first time to record the vocals. I have used the built-in condenser mic on the Spire, but this was the first time with an external large diaphram condenser mic for me. Obviously, the technique is different, and I will have time to experiment with it.

I recorded acoustic guitar, bass, percussion, and vocals; sent the tracks to Mark where he added piano and strings (synth).

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j_UPjioP6...7MarkJimCU.jpg

Hey, I have a name suggestion for your duo...”The Goatees”:) Seriously...well done boys! Obviously, you’re having a blast. Nice that technology so easily facilitates.

Captain Jim 04-26-2020 02:55 PM

That's a good deal on the Spire Studio, Tom! I think most places in the US are still at $299 these days. Enjoy... and let us know how it's going.

raysachs 04-26-2020 03:39 PM

Here's my most recent Spire song. My usual rough, funky, HIGHLY unpolished Stones cover. This is pretty much what I do with it. A guitar/vocal track, sometimes a second vocal track. And another guitar track wth a little bit of lead playing. Actually two, because the mixer is too limited to raise and lower the volume of a track dynamically, so there's one track lower down for the background leads fils and another, louder one for the more prominent lead parts at the beginning and end of the tune.

A quick little ditty:

reeve21 04-26-2020 04:44 PM

Nice work, Ray!

rmoretti49 04-28-2020 11:00 AM

While my new Spire is pretty intuitive to use, and there are various videos on using it, I have not located a printed instruction manual. Does one even exist?

Captain Jim 04-28-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmoretti49 (Post 6363265)
While my new Spire is pretty intuitive to use, and there are various videos on using it, I have not located a printed instruction manual. Does one even exist?

Closest I could find...

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/9-q...re-studio.html

This thread is a good place to ask if you have any specific questions.

Mike Mandel 04-29-2020 01:08 PM

You guys got me, after playing with just the phone app and phone mic, ordering the studio. Amazing how simple it is

As for manuals I found this
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1unHjuukcL.pdf

But the videos here seem to do the trick
https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us...ideo-Tutorials

Acousticado 04-29-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6361403)
That's a good deal on the Spire Studio, Tom! I think most places in the US are still at $299 these days. Enjoy... and let us know how it's going.

Haha! The day after I ordered the Spire this past Sunday for Cdn$239 (US$169), Bestbuy lowered the price by another $40 to Cdn$199, so my price has now been adjusted to the equivalent of U.S. $143. What a deal! Shipping indicates it should arrive to my door today. Not here yet, so hopefully tomorrow.

Captain Jim 04-29-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 6364530)
Haha! The day after I ordered the Spire this past Sunday for Cdn$239 (US$169), Bestbuy lowered the price by another $40 to Cdn$199, so my price has now been adjusted to the equivalent of U.S. $143. What a deal! Shipping indicates it should arrive to my door today. Not here yet, so hopefully tomorrow.

Screaming hot deal! Looking forward to you usage.

Mike Mandel 05-01-2020 04:44 PM

Question

Having the issues where my XLR cable is not really connecting and not shutting off the internal mic. Anybody know a fix to this? thx

Acousticado 05-01-2020 06:32 PM

I received my Spire yesterday and spent some time this afternoon playing around with it. Very cool device! I have a long way to go with this recording thing, but I do feel that the Spire makes what can be a complex process as intuitive as it gets. I managed to get a basic guitar and vocal recorded. As time goes on, I’ll try adding other tracks, and learn better set-up in terms of guitar and vocal proximity to the built-in mic, use of the effects, some room treatment, etc.

I wanted to follow the process all the way through to learning how to upload to Soundcloud, so here’s my first effort, warts and all...it sounds so much better with my headphones connected to the Spire, but I guess for the free standard SC account with it’s reduced quality, it’ll have to be good enough for now. I just hope I’m not embarrassing myself. Oh well, here goes...

This song is an original, “Sincerely Yours”. I may post it in Show & Tell, but I first hoped to get some feedback that the recording is at least presentable. Thanks!

reeve21 05-01-2020 06:43 PM

Sounds great, Tom! Gave it a like on SC. Nice song :)

Acousticado 05-01-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeve21 (Post 6366860)
Sounds great, Tom! Gave it a like on SC. Nice song :)

Thank you, Bob. Much appreciated.

Captain Jim 05-01-2020 08:29 PM

Sounds good, Tom! Welcome to the "puttin' out there on Spire" group! Keep 'em coming. :up:

Acousticado 05-01-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6366935)
Sounds good, Tom! Welcome to the "puttin' out there on Spire" group! Keep 'em coming. :up:

Thanks Jim. Somehow, I have to control my fingers hitting the pickguard...I didn’t realize I was doing that so much. I also have to practice singing more...take air deep and push from the gut. I think I have better power. Have to work on that.

There are so many variables to capturing good recordings, including to factor how to make the published piece sound decent compared to the home recording. Experiment, experiment, I guess. You’re doing so well with both the Spire audios and the Shure videos. I guess once you find what works, it becomes easier. Hope so!

I’m using an older iPad Air. Maybe a dumb question, but will this affect recording quality?

Does anyone here subscribe to paid SC and if so, is the sound capability that much better?

Captain Jim 05-02-2020 06:55 AM

Hi Tom. I have a couple different iPads (from an older Mini to a Pro) and don't hear any difference in the quality of the output. It is more about learning to use the capability of the Spire: mic placement, adjusting the Spire effects (Spaces, Amps, Vocals), and EQ/effects on instruments before you plug into the preamp connections. The Spire is easy and intuitive, but there are plenty of options for how you record.

I am still using the free SoundCloud. I just eliminate older recorded stuff before adding new, so I can't offer any advice on that.

Keep using it. Your first effort was way ahead of mine. OK, that may have more to do with talent and ability than Spire usage. ;) Have fun!

raysachs 05-02-2020 07:23 AM

That's a REALLY good first effort - it's really good for any level of "expertise" with the Spire (in quotes because the whole point is you don't really need much expertise).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mandel (Post 6366768)
Question

Having the issues where my XLR cable is not really connecting and not shutting off the internal mic. Anybody know a fix to this? thx

Can anyone help Mike with this? I've never used an external mic with this, so no attempt at using the XLR jack. I've plugged an electric guitar straight in to the #1 mic jack, though, and it did what it was supposed to - killed the internal micv and got a really good guitar sound... Not sure if you're problem is just a bad jack (which I've read of a few units having) or if it's XLR specific...

-Ray

Mike Mandel 05-02-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6367134)
That's a REALLY good first effort - it's really good for any level of "expertise" with the Spire (in quotes because the whole point is you don't really need much expertise).

Can anyone help Mike with this? I've never used an external mic with this, so no attempt at using the XLR jack. I've plugged an electric guitar straight in to the #1 mic jack, though, and it did what it was supposed to - killed the internal micv and got a really good guitar sound... Not sure if you're problem is just a bad jack (which I've read of a few units having) or if it's XLR specific...

-Ray

Thanks for the assistance raysachs. I talked with some other people on this form, and got some feedback from the company (great customer service)

It seems some cable's pins don't connect correctly with the device. Another poster recommend some diff cables, and i'm going to try these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have one more question: Guessing you can only pick one effect at a time, like you can't choose an amp model AND effects pedal at the same time? Or spaces effect AND amp at the same time? Thx

raysachs 05-02-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mandel (Post 6367174)
Thanks for the assistance raysachs. I talked with some other people on this form, and got some feedback from the company (great customer service)

It seems some cable's pins don't connect correctly with the device. Another poster recommend some diff cables, and i'm going to try these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have one more question: Guessing you can only pick one effect at a time, like you can't choose an amp model AND effects pedal at the same time? Or spaces effect AND amp at the same time? Thx

Yeah, seems to be the case. I sort of have one go-to effect for recording acoustic guitar or acoustic guitar and voice. And one for vocal-only tracks. And for electric, I'm running the signal through my pedal board before it gets to the Spire, so I use those effects and don't add anything on the Spire.

I did, for the first time, recently export some Spire tracks and opened them up in Garage Band just to do a couple of splices (left a couple open verses to play some electric lead over and couldn't come up with a good part, so I wanted to get rid of those verses and get a clean splice). It was pretty easy to do. I mean Garage Band is kind of confusing to me to begin with, but once you get the tracks in there and lined up and remember how to do basic stuff, doing the splices were really pretty easy. And, once in Garage Band, it's also pretty easy to add effects AFTER THE FACT, which is one of the limitations of the Spire. You could also do the mixing there and do a dynamic mix where the volume of a single track changes during the run of the tune, another thing you can't do on the Spire. I realize the Spire was designed primarily for simplicity and I love that about it. I always found setting up and recording multiple tracks in Garage Band and trying to use it's various features a real PIA. So I doubt I'll use it for editing often. But it's good to know its not particularly tough to do, so if you ever want to export to a DAW for any sort of "post-production" editing, it's not particularly difficult to do.

-Ray

Mike Mandel 05-02-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6367273)
Yeah, seems to be the case. I sort of have one go-to effect for recording acoustic guitar or acoustic guitar and voice. And one for vocal-only tracks. And for electric, I'm running the signal through my pedal board before it gets to the Spire, so I use those effects and don't add anything on the Spire.

I did, for the first time, recently export some Spire tracks and opened them up in Garage Band just to do a couple of splices (left a couple open verses to play some electric lead over and couldn't come up with a good part, so I wanted to get rid of those verses and get a clean splice). It was pretty easy to do. I mean Garage Band is kind of confusing to me to begin with, but once you get the tracks in there and lined up and remember how to do basic stuff, doing the splices were really pretty easy. And, once in Garage Band, it's also pretty easy to add effects AFTER THE FACT, which is one of the limitations of the Spire. You could also do the mixing there and do a dynamic mix where the volume of a single track changes during the run of the tune, another thing you can't do on the Spire. I realize the Spire was designed primarily for simplicity and I love that about it. I always found setting up and recording multiple tracks in Garage Band and trying to use it's various features a real PIA. So I doubt I'll use it for editing often. But it's good to know its not particularly tough to do, so if you ever want to export to a DAW for any sort of "post-production" editing, it's not particularly difficult to do.

-Ray

Great advice, thanks so much. Just curious what is your go-to effect for acoustic guitar and acoustic guitar/voice?

I love how you can send an acoustic (or with me Taylor GS Mini bass) through the bass/guitar amp with a cable AND record it acoustically at the same time, then separate the tracks left and right and play with them in the mix.

Kind of like how Brian Wilson would record P Bass, Stand Up Bass, and Danelectro bass, and put them together in the mix with the Wrecking Crew.

Lkristians 05-02-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 6366849)
I received my Spire yesterday and spent some time this afternoon playing around with it. Very cool device! I have a long way to go with this recording thing, but I do feel that the Spire makes what can be a complex process as intuitive as it gets. I managed to get a basic guitar and vocal recorded. As time goes on, I’ll try adding other tracks, and learn better set-up in terms of guitar and vocal proximity to the built-in mic, use of the effects, some room treatment, etc.

I wanted to follow the process all the way through to learning how to upload to Soundcloud, so here’s my first effort, warts and all...it sounds so much better with my headphones connected to the Spire, but I guess for the free standard SC account with it’s reduced quality, it’ll have to be good enough for now. I just hope I’m not embarrassing myself. Oh well, here goes...

This song is an original, “Sincerely Yours”. I may post it in Show & Tell, but I first hoped to get some feedback that the recording is at least presentable. Thanks!

Outstanding, Tom! Doing the "Mod Squad" proud!

raysachs 05-02-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mandel (Post 6367307)
Great advice, thanks so much. Just curious what is your go-to effect for acoustic guitar and acoustic guitar/voice?

Acoustic shaper for guitar or guitar/voice. Warm voice for just vocals. Played around with "Rowdy" on a vocal track recently (I guess it was in one of the recent updates) and sort of liked the slightly crunchy sound of it. But I fundamentally can't sing, so sometimes disguising that is the least bad options when I insist on trying!

-Ray

Acousticado 05-02-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6367437)
Acoustic shaper for guitar or guitar/voice. Warm voice for just vocals. Played around with "Rowdy" on a vocal track recently (I guess it was in one of the recent updates) and sort of liked the slightly crunchy sound of it. But I fundamentally can't sing, so sometimes disguising that is the least bad options when I insist on trying!

-Ray

Thanks for sharing that, Ray. I think that’s what I chose with my two tracks, though I think I should’ve backed off the guitar effects, more clean. I guess a lot of it has to do with getting the guitar/voice proximity to the mic just right.

Question for you or anyone else. Once you “enhance” the tracks as the final step before sharing, it seems that you can’t upload the song to SC until you reactivate your home wifi (which deactivates the Spire’s wifi). Am I correct in assuming that once you’ve enhanced the song, it stays with the recording? I would think so, but I found it hard to tell because when reentering the Spire app and listening to the song it doesn’t sound enhanced compared to what I’d last heard upon doing it, and even enhancing again sounds better than what may or may not have already been enhanced. I hope I’ve properly explained this.

raysachs 05-02-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 6367452)
Thanks for sharing that, Ray. I think that’s what I chose with my two tracks, though I think I should’ve backed off the guitar effects, more clean. I guess a lot of it has to do with getting the guitar/voice proximity to the mic just right.

Question for you or anyone else. Once you “enhance” the tracks as the final step before sharing, it seems that you can’t upload the song to SC until you reactivate your home wifi (which deactivates the Spire’s wifi). Am I correct in assuming that once you’ve enhanced the song, it stays with the recording? I would think so, but I found it hard to tell because when reentering the Spire app and listening to the song it doesn’t sound enhanced compared to what I’d last heard upon doing it, and even enhancing again sounds better than what may or may not have already been enhanced. I hope I’ve properly explained this.

Yeah, getting the single mic in the right place seems to be the hard part and it's a little different with every guitar. Since I'm down to one acoustic now, I think I should be able to get it dialed in. And in terms of backing off on the effects, you'll be fine. Because you can sing! I, OTOH, need all the help I can get with whatever I try to pass off as "vocals". What I usually do is record two vocal tracks, aiming to make them the same (and always failing by at least enough), and running the second one much lower in the mix. To the point that you have to listen kind of closely sometimes to realize there are even two voices (though sometimes it's painfully obvious), but having that second track somehow seems to smooth out the worst of the problems with the original. And when it works, it gives it a little bit of a chorus-y effect.

The "enhance" thing does NOT stay with the project. Obviously, if you enhance it before exporting it, the exported version has the enhanced sound. So if you put something up on Soundcloud that was enhanced, it sounds enhanced. But then if you go back into the song to edit or add tracks or something later, you have to "RE-enhance" when you want to export it again. It's just like a finishing treatment, not part of the recording. And since enhance is not an all or nothing proposition - you set how "enhanced" you want it, you kind of have to try to aim for about the same spot the next time you want to export it because it's not gonna remember that for you.

In terms of getting it to Soundcloud, that is a funny thing and a flaw with connecting to your phone or tablet using wi-fi - you can't be on both the Spire's wifi and your home wifi at the same time. So what I've been doing is just saving the enhanced song to my Memos app on the iPhone (which is what I use as the controller - it's got the most memory of my IOS devices). And, once I'm back on my home wifi system after I shut the Spire down, THEN I can upload to Soundcloud or do whatever. Since my Memos app shares data between all of my devices on iCloud, by the time I get over to my desktop Mac, the track is generally available there too and I find it easier to upload to Soundcloud from my Mac than from my iPhone if it's not going through the Spire app...

-Ray

Acousticado 05-02-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6367481)
Yeah, getting the single mic in the right place seems to be the hard part and it's a little different with every guitar. Since I'm down to one acoustic now, I think I should be able to get it dialed in. And in terms of backing off on the effects, you'll be fine. Because you can sing! I, OTOH, need all the help I can get with whatever I try to pass off as "vocals". What I usually do is record two vocal tracks, aiming to make them the same (and always failing by at least enough), and running the second one much lower in the mix. To the point that you have to listen kind of closely sometimes to realize there are even two voices (though sometimes it's painfully obvious), but having that second track somehow seems to smooth out the worst of the problems with the original. And when it works, it gives it a little bit of a chorus-y effect.

The "enhance" thing does NOT stay with the project. Obviously, if you enhance it before exporting it, the exported version has the enhanced sound. So if you put something up on Soundcloud that was enhanced, it sounds enhanced. But then if you go back into the song to edit or add tracks or something later, you have to "RE-enhance" when you want to export it again. It's just like a finishing treatment, not part of the recording. And since enhance is not an all or nothing proposition - you set how "enhanced" you want it, you kind of have to try to aim for about the same spot the next time you want to export it because it's not gonna remember that for you.

In terms of getting it to Soundcloud, that is a funny thing and a flaw with connecting to your phone or tablet using wi-fi - you can't be on both the Spire's wifi and your home wifi at the same time. So what I've been doing is just saving the enhanced song to my Memos app on the iPhone (which is what I use as the controller - it's got the most memory of my IOS devices). And, once I'm back on my home wifi system after I shut the Spire down, THEN I can upload to Soundcloud or do whatever. Since my Memos app shares data between all of my devices on iCloud, by the time I get over to my desktop Mac, the track is generally available there too and I find it easier to upload to Soundcloud from my Mac than from my iPhone if it's not going through the Spire app...

-Ray

Ahhh, thanks for that! The Spire does have some idiosyncrasies. I’m going to have to mess around like you suggest because my uploaded recording did not retain the enhancement.