The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Marshall or Fishman amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253731)

jleeasc 06-02-2012 06:13 AM

Marshall or Fishman amp?

I can't decide between the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Marshall AS50D. Love the sound and features of both. Any good or bad experiences you have had with either?

ljguitar 06-02-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleeasc (Post 3060829)
I can't decide between the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Marshall AS50D. Love the sound and features of both. Any good or bad experiences you have had with either?

Hi jlee...

What do you plan on doing with it?

Toby Walker 06-02-2012 07:34 AM

I've got the Fishman Loudbox Mini which use when playing instrumental music in small rooms. It brings out the true sound of my higher end acoustics quite well... and I'm pretty fussy about that.

jleeasc 06-02-2012 10:16 AM

Larry-

I will mainly use it for now to amplify my practice, learning, and just overall enjoyment. I just purchased a 314ce and want to experience it's full sound. I'm sure at some point I will perform for my family, friends, and hope someday to perform on a small scale but I am not close to that level yet.

Thanks Toby- I'm leaning to the Fishman but guess I wanted a Marshall just to have a Marshall. Not a very good reason.
jlee

ljguitar 06-02-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleeasc (Post 3061071)
Larry-

I will mainly use it for now to amplify my practice, learning, and just overall enjoyment. I just purchased a 314ce and want to experience it's full sound. I'm sure at some point I will perform for my family, friends, and hope someday to perform on a small scale but I am not close to that level yet.

Thanks Toby- I'm leaning to the Fishman but guess I wanted a Marshall just to have a Marshall. Not a very good reason.
jlee

Hi jlee...

Both are nice amps, and the Marshall is a heavy beast! It's twice the weight of the Fishman, and it's equipped with a pair of 8'' speakers which will produce a better bottom end for the guitar than the 6.5'' single speaker in the Fishman Mini.

For fun either will do...and you can probably find a Marshall used out there somewhere fairly easy.

chitz 06-03-2012 05:00 AM

Fishman for sure.

Bob Womack 06-03-2012 06:41 AM

I for one love the Marshall.

Bob

RockerDuck 06-03-2012 11:34 AM

The Marshall AS50D is not a heavey beast weighing about 35lbs. That's not much to me to carry. It has better low end than the Loudbox mini. You can sing through it with no problem, playing along with an Ipod at the same time through the 1/8" connector. The built in reverb and chorus makes it a no brainer choice.

Sasquatch51 06-03-2012 09:31 PM

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist LBX600. It's a compact amp, it weighs in at about 25 lbs and delivers about 120 watts biamped. It's LOUD. The effects sound great, it gives my acoustic guitars a very natural sound. I haven't had any experience at all with the little Marshall, but I can't imagine it would be bad....after all, it's a Marshall.

ljguitar 06-03-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerDuck (Post 3062075)
The Marshall AS50D is not a heavey beast weighing about 35lbs.

Hi RockerD...
Many 50 watt acoustic amps speakers made these days weigh in at around 20-25 pounds, and with a weight restriction due to an injury for life, the difference was enough to cause me to research and opt for a great sounding lower weight of amp.

The Marshall is a good solid sounding amp, up there in the same weight class as tube electric amps. If you are built sturdy, it can be a great amp.

I like other amps with a tweeter/high frequency driver...but an 8'' cone does magic things to the tone of an acoustic. And the Marshall has 2 of em...and some genuine 'reach out and touch' capability.

There were just too many pro grade acoustic amps with adequate power under 25 pounds for me to consider something in the 35 pound weight class.

Sasquatch51 06-04-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 3062661)
Hi RockerD...
Many 50 watt acoustic amps speakers made these days weigh in at around 20-25 pounds, and with a weight restriction due to an injury for life, the difference was enough to cause me to research and opt for a great sounding lower weight of amp.

The Marshall is a good solid sounding amp, up there in the same weight class as tube electric amps. If you are built sturdy, it can be a great amp.

I like other amps with a tweeter/high frequency driver...but an 8'' cone does magic things to the tone of an acoustic. And the Marshall has 2 of em...and some genuine 'reach out and touch' capability.

There were just too many pro grade acoustic amps with adequate power under 25 pounds for me to consider something in the 35 pound weight class.

Yeah, one of the things I really like about the Fishman Artist is that it has an 8" woofer as well as a 1" tweeter. The 1" tweeter can be controlled separately, which gives you the capability of completely rescaping the sound. IIRC the power distribution is 100w to the woofer and 20w to the tweeter.

SMan 06-04-2012 06:46 AM

I own one of each and love them both. For portability I really like the Loudbox Mini and for its size has a big sound. The Marshall although not that heavy is bulkier. It is my favorite overall and works well with vocals.

That said, given your criteria, the Fishman would be my choice (and its a bit cheaper).

Sasquatch51 06-04-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMan (Post 3062754)
I own one of each and love them both. For portability I really like the Loudbox Mini and for its size has a big sound. The Marshall although not that heavy is bulkier. It is my favorite overall and works well with vocals.

That said, given your criteria, the Fishman would be my choice (and its a bit cheaper).

Don't get the Fishman Loudbox Mini confused with the Fishman Loudbox Artist....two different amps.

drunkinminer 06-25-2012 03:28 PM

jleeasc

I know how you feel I can't decide between as well but the more I look into it, it looks like the Marshall is winning out. But I'll be watching what people have to say here before I make my decision.

mutantrock 06-25-2012 04:36 PM

Both good amps! I played the Marshall live and it was good. I played the Fishman mini in a shop and was shocked how natural a sound it had while being small.
The Ultrasound DS4 is another one that many including myself love. Very natural and full sounding.

Cheetotoe 06-25-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantrock (Post 3087523)
The Ultrasound DS4 is another one that many including myself love. Very natural and full sounding.

I agree. In fact, I now have a DS4 after not one, but TWO Fishman loudbox minis were returned for being defective.

247hoopsfan 06-25-2012 07:24 PM

I have the Marshall. As others have said, it is great, with nice effects. Nothing like having 2 8" speakers....this thing has volume. I have used it at outoor weddings and it carried to the back row and beyond. It is great for vocals too.

ChrisDowning 01-22-2018 01:30 PM

Marshall

I had a Marshall amp in 1964 and didn't have another one till quite recently. I suppose I though of Marshall as loud big rock amps. And of course they are - as that's what Marshall markets to us all. However.

The AS50D is a whole different beast and with its dual 8" speakers and 1.5" tweeter it certainly packs a low punch. Not super loud as you might need for a 200 person audience but plenty for a group of say 100 who don't want to be blasted. So for the average acoustic wedding gig where you find yourself playing what is essentially background mood music and singing, or a coffee shop gig - just fine. (More than that and there's a Marshall 100).

The AS50D isn't really a 50 watt amp as its rated at 50 into 4 ohm - which is a bit of a cheat because most of us rate amp's power as into 8 ohm - so it roughly halves the loudness. But its plenty loud enough for my work and singing, and you could always DI out to a PA if needed.

Chorus and Reverb are on hand and whoever worked out those channel controls knew what a gigging musician would want - they are both channel assignable - chorus with a switch button and reverb with a balance knob. And these's also a notch filter to keep feedback under control.

The AS50D is well though through and for the price a good starter pack for anyone going live for the first time. I know there are better amps out there for a lot more money - but hey - if you are a working musician you need to be making money not spending it all. After all, very few members of an audience can tell you are playing a $1500 amp anyway - so why buy one?

Hotspur 01-22-2018 02:15 PM

I went through the whole acoustic amp choice thing not that long ago, considered the Marshall, ended up with a Loudbox Artist.

It seems to me that the Loudboxes have really nailed the combination of price, portability, and good-enough tone. I'm sure if I was spending a ton of money on a higher-end pickup and signal chain that I'd be running into the limits of the Fishman, but with an UST it's clearly not the limitation I'm dealing with.

(I picked the Artist over the Mini mostly because I wanted the bigger speaker for vocals.)

This doesn't exactly solve your problem, but between the Marshall and the Mini, my sense is that the Marshall sounds a (very) little bit better, is more expensive (especially when you consider that you can usually get a mic/stand/cable deal with the mini. Somebody's always offering that deal for no extra money), and is a lot less portable.

If you already have a mic/cable/stand, and don't plan on taking the amp anywhere, I'd probably grab the Marshall. But I also really value low weight in amps, so if I was expecting to take it places, I'd get the Fiashman.

That being said, I don't think the sound improvement is particularly meaningful with a typical mag or UST pickup. If you've got a dual source, or a Tonedexter, or any of that stuff, maybe it is.

windfall 01-22-2018 02:56 PM

I had the Marshall 100 for a few years. I auditioned Fishman Loudbox Mini and Artist at the same time alongside it. Last year, I sold my Marshall and bought a Loudbox Artist. The Marshall definitely has a slightly more natural tone than the Fishman (to my ears) but the size and weight of the Marshall had become a real problem.

I miss its warmth, but not its weight or general inconvenience!

Nailpicker 01-22-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 3061820)
I for one love the Marshall.

Bob

+1

I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie Rosette amp, but I really struggled with myself to do so. I like my Marshall AS50 so much, I thought, why not save $750 and just get another Marshall? Part of my plan is going thru two amps through a Radial ABY box. I play guitar, I don't sing, so I can't say about vocals thru any amp. But for guitar playing the AS50 is IMO wonderful. I can only hope that when it arrives the Rosette is at least somewhat better sounding (to my ear), even if not $750 better. If not I may just return it and get a second AS50.