The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Any thoughts on Kremona hybrids? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416611)

dickbarbour 01-25-2016 08:47 AM

Any thoughts on Kremona hybrids?

I'm seriously looking for a narrow-neck nylon string. I've got the Kremona Fiesta FC, a standard classical with cedar top. I like it a lot but I'm starting to play a lot more non-classical such as ragtime and Chet-type tunes on it, that I had been playing on steel string. "Saturday Night Shuffle" and such just sound great to me on nylon.

I've been looking for reviews online and other than a few Youtube selections, haven't found much on the Kremona hybrids in the $1000-$1500 range. Can't find any locally to try either, as apparently Guitar Center is the only dealer in this area and they don't have the Kremona hybrids in-store. I did play a couple of lower-priced Cordobas and others there but nothing too exciting, so it looks like I will be buying online. I've read a lot of the recommendations in this forum and elsewhere for other guitars, but I'm pretty sure I want to stay with Kremona as more of a known quantity. The ones I've seen in my price range are:

Kremona Sofia S63CW (cedar top)

Kremona Fandango FG63CW (spruce top)

I'm leaning toward the Fandango because of the better appointments that come with the higher price, and I think I would like the spruce for a little more punch than my current cedar Fiesta. Anyone have experience with these guitars?

mr. beaumont 01-25-2016 09:31 AM

I'm not sure how the Kremona hybrids measure up, but generally, I don't like the necks too skinny...remember, nylon strings are actually a good deal wider than steel in the trebles...get them too close together, and it's a mess.

Overall, though, I've liked the Kremona models I've played. Very nice quality/price quotient.

dickbarbour 02-08-2016 09:05 AM

Ordered the Kremona Fandango

I managed to find the Sofia model locally to try. (Well, almost locally; my wife and I drove 140 miles to GuitarTex in San Antonio, Texas, so I could play it. Luckily we have some relatives there, so we combined a nice visit with the guitar excursion.) I found the Sofia very comfortable to play with the hybrid neck and short scale. In fact it was all I had hoped for in that respect. It didn't sound as good unplugged as my Fiesta FC, but that was to be expected. The build quality was good, but I didn't like the Sapele laminated back and sides and don't particularly want another cedar top. I did like it better than the similar Cordoba models I had played. Long story short, I ordered the Fandango model online. It has a solid bubinga back and spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge and the same neck as the Sofia, so I'm hoping I will be happy with it. This will be my first time to buy a guitar without playing it first, so am a little apprehensive. Will report back when it arrives.

mr. beaumont 02-08-2016 09:14 AM

I hope it works out, should be a nice guitar.

I was able to play a Cordoba cutaway flamenco negra last week...it has a lot of the comfort features a crossover has--lower action, cutaway, electronics, and the neck felt somewhat slimmer at the nut--but I didn't measure.

Anyway, I'm throwing it out as another option, because it was an OUTSTANDING guitar and value.

dickbarbour 02-08-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 4819623)
I hope it works out, should be a nice guitar.

I was able to play a Cordoba cutaway flamenco negra last week...it has a lot of the comfort features a crossover has--lower action, cutaway, electronics, and the neck felt somewhat slimmer at the nut--but I didn't measure.

Anyway, I'm throwing it out as another option, because it was an OUTSTANDING guitar and value.

Jeff,
I was able to play a Cordoba Studio with the cutaway and hybrid neck, and thought it was excellent for the price, quite a bit less than the Fandango I ordered. I've just been so pleased with the Kremona Fiesta I think I was determined to not like anything else as well. :)

mr. beaumont 02-08-2016 11:54 AM

Post a review and pics when it gets here. I think you're in for a treat.

Yeah, that Cordoba though. I've been rationalizing the need for another nylon string...

dickbarbour 02-11-2016 03:31 PM

Got it; it's wonderful

I received the "Kremona Fandango FG63CW Cutaway/Electric Hybrid Neck Nylon String Guitar" yesterday and am very pleased with it. The workmanship and wood are both excellent, and the sound both unplugged and plugged in are very good. I was expecting that the unplugged sound wouldn't be quite as good as my Fiesta FC model due to the cutaway and internal electronics package, but it is at least as good if not better. The narrower neck and short scale make it very comfortable to play. Highly recommended if you are in the market for this type of guitar.

Edit: I had an email exchange with KremonaUSA support and found out that the production run of Fandangos for the U.S. was limited and they are no longer being imported. They are hard to find already.

Guest 928 10-23-2020 06:32 PM

I found that Kremona will make some custom changes. I've just ordered a Sophia S63CW with a spruce top, no electronics, and a Fiesta rosette. I'll have a Barbara pickup installed. Life is good.

Skip Ellis 10-23-2020 07:51 PM

Glad to hear that Kremona build quality is right up there as I've been looking at both the Kremona Romida (cedar) and Alhambra 7P (cedar). I know that Alhambra is usually pretty good but have no experience with the Kremona. I'll have to make up my mind and put in an order - absolutely NO chance of playing anything decent around here (sw Florida) - mostly just Cordoba. I had a GK Studio for a while and it was OK but I'm looking for something with a regular classical ebony fretboard and NO electronics.

Guest 928 10-26-2020 05:50 PM

I had not heard of the Kremona until its mention on this forum. In looking at a multitude of reviews I see two primary narratives.

One narrative suggests that Kremona makes a great beginners guitar, a good guitar at a reasonable price. This narrative implies a high standard of comparison, but does not offer up what that high standard might be(in general).

The second narrative is that Kremona is putting out work worth at least double its price. The second narrative often comes with specific reference to the comparison guitars.

On the basis of the second narrative I have ordered a Kremona. The nice thing about the order is that I have been able to customize my Sophia S63CW with no electronics, with a spruce instead of a cedar top, and with a rosette of my choice. I'm looking forward to this order. My comparison points will be instruments like my brother-in-laws Ramirez and Taylors nylon string guitars.

ClaptonWannabe2 10-30-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbarbour (Post 4802250)
I'm seriously looking for a narrow-neck nylon string. I've got the Kremona Fiesta FC, a standard classical with cedar top. I like it a lot but I'm starting to play a lot more non-classical such as ragtime and Chet-type tunes on it, that I had been playing on steel string. "Saturday Night Shuffle" and such just sound great to me on nylon.

I've been looking for reviews online and other than a few Youtube selections, haven't found much on the Kremona hybrids in the $1000-$1500 range. Can't find any locally to try either, as apparently Guitar Center is the only dealer in this area and they don't have the Kremona hybrids in-store. I did play a couple of lower-priced Cordobas and others there but nothing too exciting, so it looks like I will be buying online. I've read a lot of the recommendations in this forum and elsewhere for other guitars, but I'm pretty sure I want to stay with Kremona as more of a known quantity. The ones I've seen in my price range are:

Kremona Sofia S63CW (cedar top)

Kremona Fandango FG63CW (spruce top)

I'm leaning toward the Fandango because of the better appointments that come with the higher price, and I think I would like the spruce for a little more punch than my current cedar Fiesta. Anyone have experience with these guitars?

If asking about Kremona in general? An Austin guitar shop had a steel string Kremona that ALMOST had me breaking out the plastic. Amazing amount of guitar for the asking price.

Guest 928 11-10-2020 07:12 PM

I hope you all will forgive me for going on about kremona. I learned of Kremona on this forum and I was amazed. I had, when I was younger, gone through more than 40 nylon strung guitars, looking for the one for me. I had never heard of Kremona.

In looking at Kremona I see a maker that has been in the business for a long, long time. For a long time the company was behind an iron curtain and did not become available to the west until the 90s. Europe was the first frontier from behind the curtain, and now the U.S. is on the screen.

I'm liking what I see with Kremona: Locally sourced woods, dedicated traditional understanding of guitar sonic, what looks like incredible craftsmanship, and a strong sense of aesthetics.

Mine is on the way and I am looking forward.......................................

Rapido Eduwardo 11-28-2020 02:40 PM

A few years back there was a you tube video of a young guy playing Pachelbel's Canon in D solo. He was superb, but made a comedy skit of it. His skill was really superb. I read the comments and someone asked what brand of guitar he played and his girlfriend proudly replied a Kremona (hope I spelled it right). It was apparent this was a high end guitar. Ans that is the extent of my knowledge.
an't find the you tube video. Sorry