The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   R.I.P. - Neil Peart - Rush drummer (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568875)

Brucebubs 01-10-2020 05:10 PM

R.I.P. - Neil Peart - Rush drummer

Very sad to see Neil Peart has passed away - aged 67.

Guest 33123 01-10-2020 05:17 PM

That one hurts. RIP.

fazool 01-10-2020 05:23 PM

Wow....OMG that's tragic. I am a huge Rush fan...he had such tragedies in his life and retired due to an inability to play at the same level.

This is so terrible.

fitness1 01-10-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Doug (Post 6261639)
That one hurts. RIP.

Those were my very words when I read it about a half hour ago.

I'm so thankful I saw him up close and personal so many times. One of the true heroes of rock and roll. He had a tough road the last 10 years or so with family issues etc.

"The Professor" will live on forever in my book.

David Eastwood 01-10-2020 05:33 PM

This one hit me like a ton of bricks. My eldest son, Matt (now 28), and I learned to love Rush together - I'd lost track of them since the late 80s (Hold Your Fire, Presto), and we both got seriously back into them after I started to introduce Matt to my music collection when he was about 12. He became a huge Rush fan, and re-awakened all that in me as we explored rock music together.

We saw them live twice together - Minnesota State Fair in 2010, and then again in 2015 on the last, R40 tour. The first was one of the best live concerts I've ever seen - and the second, even though Geddy's voice was shot, was just amazing, especially knowing it would be the last.

RIP, Neil. You were truly one of the greats.

tbeltrans 01-10-2020 05:42 PM

To me, Neil Peart was one of the best drummers in rock. He cared enough about his craft to really learn to play well. There are a few others such as Micky Hart and Michael Shrieve, but so many just pound pound. It is a shame to lose one of the best.

Tony

Kerbie 01-10-2020 05:48 PM

I was a little blindsided by that news and I hated to hear it. I didn't realize he was so sick. Amazing drummer and he will be missed.

steelvibe 01-10-2020 06:01 PM

I know his style of prog rock isn't everybody's cup o' joe, and I'm not a huge RUSH fan myself, but that man is an atomic human metronome. Goodness he can play the drums.

Thanks for the tunes Neil and your influencial contributions to modern rock!

guitargabor 01-10-2020 06:12 PM

He was one of my mother's favorite authors.After reading all of his books I understand why.In a way, his philosophy about life mirrors mine.

I think I would have been a bona fide Rush fan if not for Geddys vocals...

Neil was extremely well read and despite not finishing high school attained a high literary level.

Ozzy the dog 01-10-2020 06:12 PM

Very sad to hear this news. Always considered him one of the best drummers and always came across as a genuinely nice guy.

One of my stand out memories from early concerts is seeing Rush play in a cattle market. The straw covered floor to soak up the cow waste from the day's trading just added to the atmosphere.

Will be very much missed.

Treenewt 01-10-2020 06:14 PM

This one hit me hard. I was a drummer before I ever got into guitar. I spent hours wood shedding to Rush albums as a teenager, and thought “I have ARRIVED” when I could play Tom Sawyer. Got to see the twice in the 90s and have never seen so many air drummers in one place. It was amazing.

Neil was an amazing musician and lyricist. He went through such heart wrenching loss and came back to Rush with that incredible intro on “One Little Victory” from “Vapor Trails” like a man possessed. His book “Ghost Rider” is a great read, and gives a little insight into that painful period of his life.

I just did a little air drumming of my own to “Tom Sawyer” for old time’s sake.

RIP Mr. Peart

Rockysdad 01-10-2020 06:27 PM

Just thought I’d browse open mic and then I read about Neil Peart passing
Wow, I’m shocked, he was a great drummer.
It is very saddening to learn of this, brain cancer is horrible.

Daniel Grenier 01-10-2020 06:46 PM

Very sad news. Especially considering Neil died of cancer on the very day I was informed I have skin cancer myself (albeit the mildest non-life threatening kind).

nitram 01-10-2020 06:52 PM

A quintessential Canadian-powerful yet understated.Let your canon speak for you forever.RIP. Neil.

Tracerbullet 01-10-2020 07:27 PM

RIP
I spent years riding BMW motorcycles. He was an avid rider of the marque and was well known within that community. Met him once at a rally. Super down to earth man