The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Notation Question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604577)

Merak 01-21-2021 09:05 AM

Notation Question

What does a number inside a square mean? It goes in order of 1, 2, 5, 6.

rick-slo 01-21-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merak (Post 6610501)
What does a number inside a square mean? It goes in order of 1, 2, 5, 6.

Most likely it indicates a harmonic. Symbols in different tab programs can vary somewhat.

BlueStarfish 01-21-2021 10:40 AM

What kind of notation system? Can you post an image? I can think of at least two different interpretations (one for standard notation, one for Nashville Number System notation). And both of my guesses could be wrong, it could be something else...

In standard notation, a number inside a box could be used as a measure marker or rehearsal marker. “Let’s start it again at section 2.” Might also be denoted as a circle instead of a box, and / or, a letter instead of a number. This kind of rehearsal marker is often used in choral and band arranagements (situations where there is an an ensemble playing and behing rehearsed by a conductor).

In Nashville Number System, if there are two chords in a measure, it’s common to see them with a box around them (so you know it’s a single measure). For example a common turnaround progrsesion would be, in jazz lead sheet chord symbols:

iii vi | ii V | I

In NNS you might see, for the same progression:

[3m 6m] [2m 5] 1 (with the brackets being a box in the hand written version)

Merak 01-21-2021 02:38 PM

Its a blues tune for guitar, the squared number is located between the standard notation and the tab. I would post a picture but its a PITA on this site, hoping the description is enough.

BlueStarfish 01-21-2021 09:29 PM

Well you’ve stumped this chump. I can’t say I know the answer. I spent five minutes flipping through my stack of method and song books and could not find anything that seemed like what you describe. I did see notation for harmonics but that was more of a diamond, and it was on the tab lines, not between the tab and staff.

My last guess would be that somehow the arranger is trying to signal what string to play a note on? But you said it’s both standard notation + tab so that seems redundant...

Cecil6243 01-21-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merak (Post 6610771)
Its a blues tune for guitar, the squared number is located between the standard notation and the tab. I would post a picture but its a PITA on this site, hoping the description is enough.

If you can email me the picture I can post it for you. I pm'd my email address.

Merak 01-23-2021 08:45 AM

I replied to your pm

Cecil6243 01-24-2021 11:09 AM

Here is what Merak is referring to

My apologies for the delay Merak!

https://i.imgur.com/Uwoyek7.png

Andyrondack 01-24-2021 11:29 AM

Is it the bar number relating to notes elsewhere?

Gitfiddlemann 01-24-2021 11:33 AM

This is just a guess:
It might be the transcriber's way of splitting the tune into parts or chunks that are similar. For learning purposes.
I've seen it done in other music, but usually with letters instead of numbers.

But only a small snippet was provided in the pic, so I'm not sure if this guess makes sense.
I don't think it's a very common practice in any case.

NormanKliman 01-24-2021 01:16 PM

That's my guess, as well. It looks like they refer to sections of the composition.

BlueStarfish 01-24-2021 02:19 PM

Now seeing the notation example, am agreeing it looks like a rehearsal mark.

Merak 01-24-2021 02:36 PM

Thanks for looking at it, and to Cecil for posting the picture for me, many thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a detail on how the piece is to be played.