The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tabs for online guitar lessons recommendations (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604763)

Jonny0276 01-23-2021 07:39 AM

Tabs for online guitar lessons recommendations

Hi, I’m still a beginner and I’ve been using Guitar Tricks as my main learning resource. It’s very good up until the play along lessons where they have the video on one side of the screen showing the teacher play and the tablature on the other side which auto scrolls along with the song. As you can imagine it can be very hard to follow the teacher and tablature at the same time and is a clunky system to use.

This is especially annoying when trying to learn off a small tablet or phone.

So with that in mind, does anyone know of any lessons that have the tabs appear line by line within the video at the same time the teacher is playing them? Kind of like subtitles.

Only stipulation is nothing on YouTube as I find a software/app is better for tracking progress and keeping on course.

Thanks!

TRose 01-23-2021 09:12 AM

Jonny,
I’m a beginner as well. I find printing the tablature off works best for me. Jerry of Jerry’s Guitar Bar has video lessons that , for me, are super easy to follow along with while having the printed tablature displayed next to my tablet.
Here’s a link.

https://www.jerrysguitarbar.com/

Good luck and I hope that is helpful.

-Tom

NormanKliman 01-23-2021 12:23 PM

Hi Jonny,

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re basically asking to learn by being spoon-fed and making the least possible effort. I’m not saying you have to suffer to learn. It’s just that the best-looking teaching material is probably not going to be the best method or material.

Cecil6243 01-24-2021 12:28 PM

I'm partial to Justin Sandercoe's website Justinguitar.com where there are tabs for songs, but he also has an entire course free of charge, of which part of it is ear training. That said I do make a donation.

der Geist 01-25-2021 07:55 AM

I have been learning online for a couple of years now. Guitar Tricks is one I have not used. I can say that I very much like the sound slice videos. TrueFire.com uses them now and I find them very useful. You can slow them down and repeat them or continuous loop them. The same is with jamplay.com. True fire has a lot of sales and you can always find beginners courses for $5 or so. I really like the the guitar pro app for my iPad. You can loop 1 phrase at a time and slow it down. Same goes for ultimateguitar.com. Their system is pretty similar but It is a yearly subscription where guitar pro is one time (under $10). One other thing I do is is hook my tablet up to a large monitor. The cables are pretty inexpensive.

Cecil6243 01-25-2021 09:32 AM

I cancelled guitars tricks. Their entry level course which I went through, to fill in any gaps I have with strumming --due to being a finger picker from the beginning -- bored me to tears as the instructor only included songs she had written herself and her soprano voice graded on me. That said she was a good instructor. Apparently the format of the course does not use any popular songs for entry level instruction. I can see that wisdom in that but...

Riverwolf 01-25-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanKliman (Post 6612675)
Hi Jonny,

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re basically asking to learn by being spoon-fed and making the least possible effort.

I mostly disagree.
After watching Roger Waters play "Money" on The Making of Dark Side of the Moon, I decided to learn a slow single acoustic version.
I have watched almost all of the Youtube teaching videos and acoustic covers.
I have printed out many versions of the tab.
I see no reason to figure this out on my own when others already have.
Either way it is still a lot of time and effort to the finished product.

Andyrondack 01-25-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil6243 (Post 6614641)
I cancelled guitars tricks. Their entry level course which I went through, to fill in any gaps I have with strumming --due to being a finger picker from the beginning -- bored me to tears as the instructor only included songs she had written herself and her soprano voice graded on me. That said she was a good instructor. Apparently the format of the course does not use any popular songs for entry level instruction. I can see that wisdom in that but...

Is that not due to copyright infringement which would be a issue with any online course
wanting to use pop songs?

Cecil6243 01-25-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyrondack (Post 6614764)
Is that not due to copyright infringement which would be a issue with any online course

Yes it must be. OTOH I see lots of others using pop songs so not sure how they get away with it but perhaps they pay some kind of royalty?

But my God her songs were soooooooo boring.

dhalbert 01-25-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyrondack (Post 6614764)

I had a JamPlay subscription for several years, and now mostly use TrueFire lessons. JamPlay does have copyrighted song lessons on their site; I assume they pay a license fee. TrueFire has not used real songs in their lessons, except for traditional ones presumably out of copyright or never copyrighted. I like the TrueFire lessons somewhat better but I wish it was not just licks and etudes for most courses: i itch to learn some real, familiar, songs.

Andyrondack 01-26-2021 02:38 AM

I have the same issue with activemelody.com there are two or three great lessons on how to improvise around a familiar tune using stuff like Jingle Bells and Happy Birthday which I found very usefull but most of the lessons are based on progressions rather than melodies which is not so much what I like to do.

NormanKliman 01-26-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwolf (Post 6614758)
I mostly disagree

I don’t really understand your post. What are you disagreeng with?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwolf (Post 6614758)
I see no reason to figure this out on my own when others already have.

Transcriptions have improved in the last 20 years or so, but when the music gets just a little challenging, transcribers are bound to make mistakes. I think those who can learn to do it are better off transcribing things themselves. Aside from accuracy, it develops musical skills in another way.

Tracerbullet 01-26-2021 05:27 AM

I really like Fender Play. It is a subscription service but I like the layout and the customization ability

Riverwolf 01-26-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanKliman (Post 6615475)
I don’t really understand your post. What are you disagreeng with?

Transcriptions have improved in the last 20 years or so, but when the music gets just a little challenging, transcribers are bound to make mistakes. I think those who can learn to do it are better off transcribing things themselves. Aside from accuracy, it develops musical skills in another way.

Spoon fed as a bad thing.

Life is short and very few of us will be any more than couch or backyard players.
Why on earth always take the hard road?
What will that really get you in the end?
Some here just want to learn a song, play it and move on.

I do agree modern tabs still leave a lot to be desired.
That is why I look at so many different ones.
And watch so many different versions.
It is still a process and a lot of time and work.

NormanKliman 01-26-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwolf (Post 6615696)
Spoon fed as a bad thing.

Life is short and very few of us will be any more than couch or backyard players.
Why on earth always take the hard road?
What will that really get you in the end?
Some here just want to learn a song, play it and move on.

I do agree modern tabs still leave a lot to be desired.
That is why I look at so many different ones.
And watch so many different versions.
It is still a process and a lot of time and work.

Whatever works for you, dude. Hard work and discipline is what works for most people. Let's stay on topic. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to send me a private message and we can take it from there.