The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   My Seagull is grounded, replacement tuners are unavailable (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534774)

Birdbrain 01-15-2019 10:12 PM

My Seagull is grounded, replacement tuners are unavailable

It's been one month since the G-string tuning head broke on my Seagull SWS Mini Jumbo. The gear slips, and it can no longer pull up to proper tune, leaving the G an uneasy third below normal. I contacted Godin, and was told they are on back order. That was a week before Christmas, and no delivery is in sight.

The stock SWS tuner looks identical to those on my new electric, a Godin Montreal Premiere. Those are listed as "Graph-Tech Ratio Tuned." So as far as I know, all top-shelf Godin guitars may be at risk for sudden vacations. Take care of your tuners, folks!

I love these instruments and the history of the brands, but I'm increasingly uncertain about their future. The neck and scale changes don't suit me anymore, and the looks seem to designed to attract the pseudo Hank Williams in every crowd of millennials. And now this, which is really disappointing to someone who just bought his first brand new acoustic.

bnjp 01-16-2019 06:32 AM

Those are pin-lock tuners and I don't think there is an aftermarket version to buy. Why don't they have them? I would upgrade those tuners anyway. Gotoh 510's would be a good option, you'll need to drill holes for the screws, but they'll be a nice upgrade.

ManyMartinMan 01-16-2019 08:15 AM

I would ask them to send me a set of what they do have in stock and replace all 6. Even if I had to purchase them.

dhalbert 01-16-2019 08:46 AM

There are used Seagull tuners available on Reverb and eBay. Not sure if they match yours. If it's a GraphTech tuner, those are available retail as well, and if it's just a matter of the decoration on the cap, maybe you can buy a generic set and replace the cap with the one from the broken tuner.

Birdbrain 01-16-2019 01:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...

I guess I would replace or upgrade if it became the only option. But would be a $80-150 option, for what should be a no-cost warranty claim. As time passes, this won't be only my problem, and I do expect them to become available sometime.

I'll be very interested in seeing rear views of the new Godin acoustics, to tell what tuners are used.

phavriluk 01-16-2019 01:42 PM

A thought...

Is there a possibility that the connection between the tuner shaft and the tuner button has worn or fractured so that the button is spinning on the shaft? One screw is removed and all is revealed (don't lose the little washers and O-rings). Dirt-cheap fix if that's the case. And taking apart a good tuner will provide an example of what a healthy shaft looks like and a comparison can be made between the known-good shaft and the shaft on the failed tuner.

A trip to OP's favorite local luthier, assuming there's one that can be visited without packing a lunch, might also turn up a usable replacement tuner. Buttons can be swapped so that the eye isn't drawn to any mismatches. And factories aren't good sources for repair parts for anything, but repair folks are.

John Arnold 01-16-2019 07:07 PM

I suspect the very high ratio of the G tuner is the problem. That means really small gear teeth, unless the gear is made much larger (it's not). The low E has a similar ratio.

Monsoon1 01-17-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phavriluk (Post 5950353)
Is there a possibility that the connection between the tuner shaft and the tuner button has worn or fractured so that the button is spinning on the shaft? One screw is removed and all is revealed (don't lose the little washers and O-rings). Dirt-cheap fix if that's the case. And taking apart a good tuner will provide an example of what a healthy shaft looks like and a comparison can be made between the known-good shaft and the shaft on the failed tuner.

A trip to OP's favorite local luthier, assuming there's one that can be visited without packing a lunch, might also turn up a usable replacement tuner. Buttons can be swapped so that the eye isn't drawn to any mismatches. And factories aren't good sources for repair parts for anything, but repair folks are.

And if the button is spinning on the shaft, it might be fixable with an adhesive.

John Arnold 01-17-2019 11:08 AM

Those are enclosed tuners with a removable button. The screw through the button adjusts the tension. If the button truly is spinning on the shaft (which I sincerely doubt), then the button has failed and must be replaced. In my experience, this cannot be repaired with glue.

Quickstep192 01-17-2019 06:27 PM

"But would be a $80-150 option, for what should be a no-cost warranty claim"

Did you tell them it was for warranty work? It seems to me, they should make good on a warranty claim. Perhaps there's an authorized Seagull repair center nearby that might have some more clout.

But, I doubt you'd regret replacing them.

By the way, StewMac has a set of Gotoh tuners on closeout for $30

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...d3_Tuners.html

Birdbrain 01-17-2019 11:05 PM

About the Gotohs...

That's a good suggestion. I know Gotoh is a respected brand, but tehse aren't their best, are they? They're half the price of a Godin set, so why can I assume they're better?

I'm going to sit this out a few more weeks, at least. I see it more as a consumer issue, and a warning to other owners. It's like you bought a new car and blew a tire. No other tires are available to match it. Do you go buy a whole new set of tires for your new car?

phavriluk 01-18-2019 11:28 AM

price of lunch - - - personal opinion

Here's an unsolicited personal opinion: Thirty bucks, the price of lunch, and a problem is solved responsibly with an upgrade? If it was my storebought guitar, I'd do it in a minute. Those S-M tuners are branded, from a respected source. I can't believe that an unbranded OEM tuner has higher quality than the Gotoh set on sale.

After I figured out what's wrong with the misbehaving tuner.

Pura Vida 01-18-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdbrain (Post 5951900)
That's a good suggestion. I know Gotoh is a respected brand, but tehse aren't their best, are they? They're half the price of a Godin set, so why can I assume they're better?

I'm going to sit this out a few more weeks, at least. I see it more as a consumer issue, and a warning to other owners. It's like you bought a new car and blew a tire. No other tires are available to match it. Do you go buy a whole new set of tires for your new car?

If I wanted to drive my car, then yes, even though I might not be happy with it. I hope you find a suitable replacement and are playing again soon.

Birdbrain 01-18-2019 01:35 PM

Plenty more in the garage...

What makes this all easier to bear is that I just received an early birthday present, a Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme. It's a singlecut, hollowbody maple electric with humbuckers, and I have my hands full with that.

Problem is, it looks to use the same tuners!

John Arnold 01-18-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

I know Gotoh is a respected brand, but these aren't their best, are they? They're half the price of a Godin set, so why can I assume they're better?
Once you achieve a certain minimum quality standard, price has very little to do with it. I have been using Gotoh tuners since the early-1980's, and never had a stripped gear.
IMHO, having different ratios for the different strings is of dubious value, and like I said before, a high ratio in a gear of limited size invites this type of failure.
I think the main reason for the high asking price is the 'innovation'.

Quote:

I can't believe that an unbranded OEM tuner.....
The brand is Graph-Tech.