The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   McKnight Guitars - Olive wood / Redwood siblings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402354)

Tim McKnight 09-28-2015 07:11 AM

McKnight Guitars - Olive wood / Redwood siblings

We are building a very unique pair of guitars for our customer using a rather odd and obscure wood that I have always wanted to build with, but have never had the opportunity until now, Olea europaea or Olive wood. I have searched for years for this wood but it was so difficult to find, especially sets large enough to build a guitar with and that had the quality to meet my expectations.

Most Olive wood on the market has been imported from the Mediterranean region of Europe and the wood that was available was either too small or riddled with internal imperfections that rendered it unusable for lutherie. However, a few years ago I stumbled across some domestic Olive wood grown on an Olive farm in Northern, CA. The farmer was culling out some trees that were no longer productive and we were able to procure a few pieces of Olive wood for this project.

For this build our customer chose to use as many West coast native woods as possible so these guitars will be mostly made of domestic woods. The body for the acoustic guitar will be our popular SDG shape of CA Olive and he chose an old growth reclaimed 1950 coastal California Redwood top. Bindings will be CA curly Claro Walnut.

Please join us for this exciting journey of this West coast guitar project.

Olive wood back:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K...2/IMG_2512.JPG

Super tight, old growth Redwood top:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K...2/IMG_2516.JPG

SJ VanSandt 09-28-2015 07:50 AM

Can't wait to see this one come together! I like the idea of an all-California guitar, but what are you going to do about the neck? Would a Claro Walnut neck be to heavy?

Doubleneck 09-28-2015 08:30 AM

That is awesome looking wood. Tim is destroying my guitar collection. Ever since getting one of his guitars this year I tend to play nothing else. I'm at the beach and took the McKnight rather than a logical carbon? May end up with a few less guitars now.

nacluth 09-28-2015 09:54 AM

Looking forward to another McKnight guitar. Steve and I were just wondering when we'd get to watch another one. We've been sitting on a set of Olive wood, but it will be nice to see someone go first :) I think this will be an excellent combo.

Btw SJ, I have a walnut neck on my walnut guitar and it's great.

Mary 09-28-2015 10:48 AM

I like the fragrance of the shop when Tim is sanding the Olive wood. :)

nootis 09-28-2015 11:11 AM

I have an Olivewood and Sinker Redwood on an early Stehr, and I really like the wood combination. My opinion might not mean much, but I think Olivewood acts a lot like a Rosewood. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

In fact it is the guitar that got me hooked on the AGF and boutique luthiers, and I think in Tim's hands, this wood combo will be a gem.

Tim McKnight 09-28-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt (Post 4655263)
Can't wait to see this one come together! I like the idea of an all-California guitar, but what are you going to do about the neck? Would a Claro Walnut neck be to heavy?

Stay tuned ...

Tim McKnight 09-28-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nootis (Post 4655539)
I have an Olivewood and Sinker Redwood on an early Stehr, and I really like the wood combination. My opinion might not mean much, but I think Olivewood acts a lot like a Rosewood. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

In fact it is the guitar that got me hooked on the AGF and boutique luthiers, and I think in Tim's hands, this wood combo will be a gem.

Hi Nootis,

Olive has an interesting tap tone and it does lean more towards the Rosewood spectrum, at least to my ear. The sustain isn't quite as long as some RWs but its no slouch either. The Olive wood is quite dense, similar to a RW but I can't offer any opinion to its final tone quite yet.

Tim McKnight 09-28-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 4655324)
That is awesome looking wood. Tim is destroying my guitar collection. Ever since getting one of his guitars this year I tend to play nothing else. I'm at the beach and took the McKnight rather than a logical carbon? May end up with a few less guitars now.

Perhaps we should talk Steve? One McKnight might not be enough :lol: Enjoy your vacation!

Tim McKnight 09-28-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 4655447)
Looking forward to another McKnight guitar. Steve and I were just wondering when we'd get to watch another one. We've been sitting on a set of Olive wood, but it will be nice to see someone go first :) I think this will be an excellent combo.

Btw SJ, I have a walnut neck on my walnut guitar and it's great.

Ryan,
Looks like Joel beat us to it. Like Mary said, the aroma in the shop is just heavenly.

TomB'sox 09-28-2015 02:27 PM

Wonderful to have another McKnight build to watch and with such interesting wood choices. Anxious to see what you and Mary come up with!!!

Cocobolo Kid 09-28-2015 04:53 PM

McKnight

Tim,

I grew up in N. California and think this is a great concept. I can't wait to see this guitar take shape.

Cheers.

Tim McKnight 09-29-2015 08:51 AM

Hey Tom & John.

We are looking forward to this build as much as you are. I wish you could smell the Olive's wafting around the shop. Its awesome.

yoni 09-29-2015 09:10 AM

This is so cool and can't wait to see the other wood choices involved. I would also say if you were ever looking for more olive wood I would say try contacting the Queen Creek Olive mill in Arizona.

Rod True 09-29-2015 10:28 PM

Oh following this one for sure!! That olive wood looks great!