The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   YouTube Guitar Teachers (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565974)

Crazyguitardj 12-09-2019 12:52 AM

YouTube Guitar Teachers

I've been watching several guitar videos lately, and after watching way too many "sit on the couch and show you how to play Hound Dog" videos, Who is your favorite (professional-ish) guitar teacher on YouTube?

Revel 12-09-2019 01:06 AM

Paul Davids is one, don't really consider him a teacher, but I just enjoy watching his videos.
Another Youtube channel is vvxoFingerstyleTab, also don't consider him a teacher as he just makes covers of popular songs, and then plays them while showing the tab on the screen. When I first started learning guitar, I learned his songs because of how good they sounded despite being so easy. He also gives his tabs out for free. Really helped me get over that initial learning curve. I really enjoy this style of "teaching" just play it once for me and give me the tabs, no excessive nonsense or excessive talking, just show me how it's supposed to sound, give me the tabs, and I'm good.

Glennm 12-09-2019 02:13 AM

Marty Schwartz at Marty Music and Steve Stine are two that come to-mind quickly.

brianlcox 12-09-2019 02:37 AM

JustinGuitar

I got to the "post-intermediate" stage with JustinGuitar. Unlike most he actually developed a program to follow with a great structure. Sure I use others to learn songs from, but I view Justin as my teacher. His stuff is free, so I make a point of buying something from his store every year- I probably wouldn't beplaying right now if it wasn't for him.

Steel and wood 12-09-2019 02:43 AM

The instructor from LickNRiff easily.

PaulRF 12-09-2019 02:48 AM

Nate Savage. Watch a lot of his youtube videos.

Paul

Steel and wood 12-09-2019 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennm (Post 6233791)
Marty Schwartz at Marty Music and Steve Stine are two that come to-mind quickly.

Steve Stine is great with theory!

RalphH 12-09-2019 03:00 AM

Justin

He also has a pretty extensive and completely free (!) guitar course on his website.

www.justinguitar.com

Glennm 12-09-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel and wood (Post 6233801)
Steve Stine is great with theory!

I agree. I’ll utilize Marty to steal his Breakdowns/ideas on specific songs and Steve Stine has some great theory explanations that compute in my thick skull...I think I’ve watched one of his pentatonic exercise vids at least 50 times.

island texan 12-09-2019 05:01 AM

Here's a second for Licknriff. Somewhat limited songs from which to choose but directed at the intermediate fingerstyle player. If you play with your fingers, his methodology leads you to an ability to use mostly two - 3 note chords as you develop your own versions of songs. Keep in mind his objective is to teach you to be an instrumentalist, not versions to sing along.

Peepaw 12-09-2019 05:55 AM

I like Justin, Steve Stine, Shane Simpson and Marty.

I seem to get the most out of Justin and Shane.

AllanAnd 12-09-2019 06:45 AM

Robert Renman has some goodies once in a while.

Also Brian from “Active Melody” does nice lessons.

Riverwolf 12-09-2019 08:52 AM

David Potts at songnotes.com

Rob Swift at swiftlessons

I finished Justin's beginner and intermediate courses.

When learning a song I will go to youtube and combine several lessons into one version.

srick 12-09-2019 08:57 AM

Brian from Active Melody.com has a lot of free stuff. He can be fast-paced, but includes theory too.

Toby Walker delivers a free monthly lesson (Littletobywalker.com) and has many excellent videos\courses available for reasonable prices.

AdamHinson 12-09-2019 09:31 AM

I definitely still rank myself in the beginner category and Matt McCoy aka CountrySongTeacher has some great beginner videos out there for people like me.

When I first started, I really struggled at first with the basic chords shapes (G, C, D, Em). It wasn't that I couldn't learn them, just I hadn't developed the muscle memory/dexterity to be able to move freely from chord to chord.

He teaches G, Cadd9, Dsus4, and Em7 variants as the first 4 chords. Super easy to play as you only need to basically move 2 fingers. That got be playing a lot of songs until I could develop the dexterity to use other chords.