The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Can You Play Any Tracks From Eric Clapton Unplugged? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184874)

daza152 05-18-2010 02:48 AM

Can You Play Any Tracks From Eric Clapton Unplugged?

:)Well can you? I'd love too but maybe its still out of my level of expertise so to speak....What would say is the easiest one to learn off that album? I'm not trying to take the easy way out, just I believe with doing things well gives you confidence to go on to bigger and better things....just MHO. so Please if you know some that are not too differcult let me know where to start... Thanks.

Daza.:)

Hendra 05-18-2010 03:42 AM

The first song that figured out in the album without any tab involved is Layla followed by Tears In Heaven, San Francisco Bay. I remembered when that album firstly came out, I have only being playing for 2 years ??? So I told myself I’ll never be able to play any of the songs (being a self-taught). So off I go learning something else. Every once in a while I’ll go back listening to the album and try playing along. As I grow on my playing, everything start to fall into places and I start to figure out how it is played. I never finished learning all the song in that album but am pretty sure today that I should be able to play it now if I am willing to give it some time.
So the key here is keep on practicing, you’ll get there some day. Especially with YouTube and free tab all over the internet, it will even be easier. If you want to start now look for “Deltabluestips” channel on YouTube.He teach some of the song and technique used in EC’s unplugged album.
Happy learning…..

rhancox 05-18-2010 04:05 AM

I think the easiest one would be Alberta. Simple song in C-F-G, repeating lines, only 3 verses, no chorus.

I did this version using a backing track I found on the internet. I supplied 12-string.

SF Bay Blues is pretty easy too but it's longer, has more verses/words. Running on Faith is simple, chords/words-wise too.

RevGeo 05-18-2010 09:14 AM

'Before You Accuse Me' is a good, pretty easy tune. 'Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out' is also a good one to learn for a tune with several chords. It really is no harder than a 3 chord tune since you already know your open chords. Challenge yourself.

Rev George

dberch 05-18-2010 09:32 AM

I worked up "Hey, Hey" and still play it. I've also worked up "Tears in Heaven" and trasnposed it to open G so this mere mortal can sing it. Got tab for it around here somewhere...

I've also played around with a couple others, but never got them to performance level.

Jhengsman 05-18-2010 11:05 AM

Give Old Love a try. It just took a second to figure out his bass run after that its a simple pattern and a few changes in the energy level as the vocal handles the song

Short Balding G 05-18-2010 11:41 AM

Like DBerch I have worked up a version of Hey, Hey. Clapton's version of Big Bill Broonzy's song is different. I looked the Clapton song over and then started on BBB's song.

BBB working up a steam playing Hey, Hey;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1qt...eature=related

Here is a link of Doug Jones, Little Brother's vid on YouTube that has 3 teaching vids. It is PERFECT for learning this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5tQ0...os=1j3URJFImJE

Big Bill Broonzy's Pig Meat Strut was essentially an earlier version (recorded earlier) than Hey, Hey. He played with Frank Broswell on the recorded version that I worked from. Woody Mann has some good material on his BBB DVD, Grossman website, that works thru both songs. I reccomend it! You can work up both and have two songs or mix and match them for a real work-out.

Since Clapton speaks about looking backward at the blues masters he picked up a lot of his songs from. I think it may be good advise.

Best in your playing, Eric -

David Hilyard 05-18-2010 12:59 PM

The opening track on that CD, "Signe", isn't very hard when you break it down. It's mainly a progression of chords with lead notes and runs in between, played in a bossa kind of rhythm. It might take some time to get it up to speed, but it's a pretty cool little tune.

http://www.davidhilyard.com/downloads/Signe_Draft_1.mp3

fatt-dad 05-18-2010 01:04 PM

Yeah, I play, "Hey, Hey" as a Big Bill Broonzy tune, but I've not quite worked the singing together with the playing. These things take time, eh?

f-d

Short Balding G 05-18-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatt-dad (Post 2229158)
Yeah, I play, "Hey, Hey" as a Big Bill Broonzy tune, but I've not quite worked the singing together with the playing. These things take time, eh?

f-d

FD - Boy do I know that! I thought that Hey, Hey would be easy. Not many lyrics, not many complex stuff - but man it is soooo subtle. Not to mention keeping the Broonzy thumb going along with melody and singing is truly like learning to juggle. The good thing about this example is that it is possible, I can juggle.

That said, when it works, I feel so darn proud of myself. I seek more of those moments.

Eric -

RikMish 05-18-2010 03:01 PM

unplugged

I've learned "Nobody Knows You When Your Down and Out" fingerpicking and just strumming. What a great cover. I love to watch his live video on you tube even though my voice, IMHO, sounds like sandpaper in comparison.

Martin D-17
Lyle 12string

daza152 05-18-2010 05:46 PM

tHANKS GUYS PLENTY THERE TO GO ON WITH AND I'LL THEM ALL....

DO YOU THINK IT WOULD SOUND ALRIGHT ON A DREAD TOO?

DAZA.

Bevelman 05-19-2010 03:58 PM

That's the album that really got me started playing acoustic blues! From the Unplugged tab book, I learnt
Signe
Before You Accuse Me
Hey Hey
Tears in Heaven
Alberta
SF Bay Blues
Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
Walking Blues

I used to play Malted Milk, Running On Faith and Lonely Stranger but would have to relearn them now.

Get the tab book and learn it out of there or watch Deltabluestips channel on Youtube, I think his lessons are some of the best out there. Good luck with it! You'll have a lot of fun! Alberta's probably the easiest to start with followed by SF Bay Blues. Hey Hey is fine once you get used to playing the opening riff and the monotonic bass afterwards.

By the way, I was playing them on a dread and they sounded fine.

daza152 05-19-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevelman (Post 2230474)
That's the album that really got me started playing acoustic blues! From the Unplugged tab book, I learnt
Signe
Before You Accuse Me
Hey Hey
Tears in Heaven
Alberta
SF Bay Blues
Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
Walking Blues

I used to play Malted Milk, Running On Faith and Lonely Stranger but would have to relearn them now.

Get the tab book and learn it out of there or watch Deltabluestips channel on Youtube, I think his lessons are some of the best out there. Good luck with it! You'll have a lot of fun! Alberta's probably the easiest to start with followed by SF Bay Blues. Hey Hey is fine once you get used to playing the opening riff and the monotonic bass afterwards.

By the way, I was playing them on a dread and they sounded fine.

Thanks where did you find the tab book?

ewalling 05-20-2010 05:07 PM

Mmm, I kind of wonder if Eric Clapton can really play the songs on 'Unplugged'! ;)