The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   question about Rainsong (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430964)

AsianGuy 05-25-2016 03:17 AM

question about Rainsong

Having “missed out” on the Canadian Amazon deal of the day for a Rainsong last week (1 - not from Canada and 2 - not in town to see the forum post), I decided to do some research on Rainsongs in case one of these deals should pop up again for us in the states.

Very rarely does a music store around me stock Rainsong. Can anyone describe the difference between the all carbon fiber construction vs. the hybrid carbon-fiber/glass-fiber construction? Be it sound, durability, or even feel?

Also an additional side question, can these things get scratched (I’ve always been told carbon fiber doesn’t dent…it shatters)? I’m not so much worried about minor cosmetic damage, but I’ve been told from friends who work with carbon fiber that the splitters are insanely painful and even harder to resolve medically. I guess I’m curious just how ‘carbon fiber’ these carbon fiber guitars are.

Finger Stylish 05-25-2016 03:48 AM

I've owned my Rainsong for 4 years. It has no dings or dents, that if it had been wood; would. My Martin and Taylor are battle scarred and they have been carefully used by me since their first strum. As far as splinters from carbon fiber. I think "Chicken Little" might have the answer. ;)

Song 05-25-2016 04:05 AM

http://www.rainsong.com
For very thorough descriptions of construction and tone of Rainsongs you should call Dave or customer service @ 800-788-5828 Dave can explain these things better than I can.

Also Ted can help you out with a guitar and advice https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....g-guitars.html

Unless you plan on using your Rainsong as a sledgehammer I wouldn't worry about shattering it. It is as carbon fiber as all carbon fiber. You're not gonna get splinters.
I will get scratched but you're: "not so much worried about minor cosmetic damage"

Mbroady 05-25-2016 04:40 AM

I have had a hybrid rain song for a little over a year.
In retrospect I would have chosen the non hybrid. The guitar sounds good with nice sustain but the hybrid has a dampaining of the high end sparkle associated with the non hybrid line. I got it because I was hoping for a more wood-like sound. But now, I feel that having that high end sparkle would have been a nicer addition to the guitars I already have.

Still, it is well made, plays like butter and overall is a fun guitar.

llew 05-25-2016 05:02 AM

I have a Rainsong "Smokey" 12 fret hybrid that I think sounds great. It has the dual source Baggs Anthem system and works very well plugged in.It sounds a little more like a wooden guitar to me. The voice is clean and very resonant. No bracing what-so-ever in this model. Not sure about the others. Maybe partially due to it's 12 fret design? Very comfortable to play but it is a deep body guitar. I've never put a pick scratch own mine. But I don't worry about that either? Ted @ LA Guitar Sales is very knowledgeable and was helpful when I bought mine from him. Best of luck!

MC5C 05-25-2016 05:24 AM

Carbon fiber construction like that is extremely strong. It won't shatter as much as splinter and crush when it comes apart, but it would take an extreme event (like running over it with a car) to do that. Carbon fiber shards can be sharp, and a splinter is a PITA, but you won't get that from a guitar. Google pictures of F1 nose cone crash testing to see exactly what carbon fiber does when tested to destruction.

There are 3D printers now that can print carbon fiber construction. The possibilities are endless...

teleamp 05-25-2016 05:25 AM

Unless you can find a dealer dumping them at cost, that type of deal won't happen again.

gfa 05-25-2016 10:03 AM

I have a Rainsong hybrid, and I'm a bit opposite Mbroady above. I prefer the sound of the hybrid series to the sound of the full CF body. To my ear, the hybrid top mitigates the tendency of full CF to sound overly sparkly, even shrill. I discovered the hard way that you can dent the hybrid top. The burst finish, which I have, is painted on, and can be scratched, but is much less susceptible to scratching than a wooden guitar.

Earl49 05-25-2016 01:13 PM

The hybrid construction is fiberglass instead of carbon fiber, IIRC. It has a mellower, warmer sound compared to the so-called crystalline tone of all-CF versions, and was intended to hit a lower price point (CF is quite expensive for both material and labor). A halfway point is the CO "concert" series which uses uni-directional carbon fiber instead of woven fabric. They reportedly have a more woody tone because of the top.

The glossy bodies are finished with buffed out automotive clear coat, so they are quite durable. I happen to like the appearance of the CF weave, so I do not own a painted body. My fifteen year old WS-1000 has no scratches or dents at all. Dents or damage beyond cosmetic scratches would basically require a hammer blow or an "El Kabong" style impact using the guitar as a club. I put a clear pickguard on mine mostly for when I let others try it, but the pickguard is not necessary - for me.

Kray Van Kirk 05-25-2016 03:07 PM

The top can dent - I have a WS3000 with a dent in the top, but the finish was not cracked and there are no splinters or any other problems with it.

I've not played the newer hybrids, but I have an older AWS1000 which was an early glass-carbon mix top (if I recall correctly) and I agree with gfa above - at least with the older model, the sound is very rich while keeping the overtones in the upper registers, even when capoed at the 7th fret.

SpruceTop 05-25-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianGuy (Post 4947970)
Can anyone describe the difference between the all carbon fiber construction vs. the hybrid carbon-fiber/glass-fiber construction? Be it sound, durability, or even feel?

Also an additional side question, can these things get scratched (I’ve always been told carbon fiber doesn’t dent…it shatters)? I’m not so much worried about minor cosmetic damage, but I’ve been told from friends who work with carbon fiber that the splitters are insanely painful and even harder to resolve medically. I guess I’m curious just how ‘carbon fiber’ these carbon fiber guitars are.

I've found that given the same model structure, WS1000 for example, the "all carbon fiber" models tend to have more crystalline tone and ring to them compared to the combination carbon fiber/fiberglass models which usually sound darker (less open).

RainSong and likely all carbon-fiber guitars have the same general type of finish as Taylor guitars: polyurethane. This finish can scratch and get dinged as would a wooden guitar's finish.

Carbon-fiber guitars are formed by imbedding the carbon-fiber cloth in resin. RainSong guitars tend to be lighter in weight because RainSong uses pre-impregnated carbon-fiber cloth which is more uniform compared to the slather-on-the-resin and scrape the excess off methods of some other makers. So, because of the resin binding the carbon fiber, if hit with a forceful blow, the carbon fiber will not shatter all over the place but be contained pretty much to the guitar structure.

Captain Jim 05-25-2016 05:59 PM

Some people equate carbon fiber with "bullet-proof." Nope. Definitely tougher than wood, less of a concern with environmental changes, and (in the case of the RainSong Shorty) a piano-like tone that I really like. (since you specifically asked about RainSong)

The 12-fret design adds nice depth, and the unidirectional top is compared by some to a tight grain spruce.

What this means to me is a comfortable size guitar (comparable to an OM or a Grand Concert), that plays great and sounds great.

Mine came with a very nice hard shell case... that sits empty most of the time. I bought a gig bag for it - the guitar is light weight and the gig bag makes it a delight to cart around. I have an all mahogany Grand Concert that I wouldn't carry around in that same gig bag... for concern that it would get dinged up. I don't have that concern with Shorty (thanks to the carbon fiber).

I have not seen or heard of any carbon fiber guitar shattering, resulting in dangerous shards. I recall seeing one that took a serious impact which left a hole in the side.

For the record, I have wood guitars, too. They sound great. I have two carbon fiber guitars - they also sound great. And travel easier. I am careful with all my guitars, but my take is the CF guitars are more durable. And I really like the carbon fiber weave. Try some CF guitars with an open mind (and ears). Just like wood guitars, different CF manufactures offer a variety of sizes and shapes. And speaking of shapes, carbon fiber gives the manufacturer options that would be more difficult with wood. I consider my Shorty a more "traditional" carbon fiber... the Emerald X7 I have is certainly less traditional, with an off-set soundhole, and truly sensuous curves that make the guitar an ergonomic delight.

Options. Lots of options. And interesting finishes to be had on all of them.

steelvibe 05-25-2016 09:04 PM

Hi Asianguy. I've played the classic full carbon weave and own a Shorty. I think body size and string choice matter more than the materials that the guitars are built with. Just my 2💰

Saltamontes 05-26-2016 05:55 PM

What was this Amazon deal all about? I am in Canada and I'm contemplating purchasing a carbon fiber guitar, obviously I missed it too

ukejon 05-28-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

What was this Amazon deal all about? I am in Canada and I'm contemplating purchasing a carbon fiber guitar, obviously I missed it too
About six different Rainsong models were being sold for $949 Canadian, which is about $730 USD. I bought an OM1000N2 that typically sells for $2349 USD online and in stores ($3132 list), so close to 70% off.