The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Going from the giant binder to the iPad... I should have done this sooner! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549613)

big jilm 06-15-2019 12:05 PM

Going from the giant binder to the iPad... I should have done this sooner!

I know this is old news, but this thing is awesome.

I am traveling to Greece this summer, and will be jamming songs on my GS Mini mahogany with my nephew, who has an acoustic bass. We are going to wander around the ruins of ancient Sparta and play music at the ancient amphitheater. I dreaded packing and carrying this:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5or5QdRl.jpg[/IMG]

So I broke down and downloaded Songbook Chordpro for my iPad. I know this is old news to a bunch of you, but this thing is awesome! So much easier to carry this:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/8h0pXSvl.jpg[/IMG]

You can download songs from the internet, or work on them in a .txt file (typing in Songbook format which is easy) and put them in your Dropbox which syncs with your tablet. Auto scrolling for the time you input, pausing, transposing keys, creating set lists, etc. Adding a Bluetooth pedal is an option for scrolling as well. Such a cool app!

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/GPifttZl.jpg[/IMG]

It's taking me awhile to get all my songs in there, but I am getting faster and faster as I mess with it. I'm still learning how to use it, but I can't believe how great this thing is. My iPad will fit in the front pocket of my GS Mini gig bag along with my harmonica case and neck rack, picks, capo, tuner, etc. I dreaded lugging that binder around!

Anyway, as I said it's old news - but it's new news to me! I am really glad I took the plunge on the app.

Happy playing!

golfreggie 06-15-2019 12:15 PM

Congrats on taking the plunge into modern technology! I am afraid I am too fearful of making mistakes, losing information, etc. I have 7each 3-ring binders with lots of hymns and songs that I love. (I have hundreds memorized enough to not have to access them very frequently). It sure sounds great, but my courage level is low when it comes to gadgets, etc. I only started texting and using an iPhone about 2-1/2yrs ago! I hope you get a great benefit, and conrats again!

Tadpole 06-15-2019 12:19 PM

That looks like a great gadget. I, alas, remain in the binder era. Someday I will take the plunge. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

tippy5 06-15-2019 12:31 PM

I remember 25 years ago with the advent of the internet. Then Ultimate Guitar and Chordie came around. I spent days and weeks acquiring, annotating and printing binders of 440 songs, mostly from my youth in the 60's. I would realtime play along with the song and put the chord (corrected, or added, subtracted chord) right over the proper phrased syllable. I still have a CD of these WORD 3.0 documents. My band mates enjoyed playing all kinds of songs. Although balancing binders in a rock band was not good for a small room. I also had jams and dinner parties where the binders would come out with two music stands and a coffee table or two. Music was accessible to one and almost all.

I bought an IPad for my Keyboard MIDI control. Maybe I should get the mic stand mount and start editing online covers again? It looks like fun after the last 5 plus years of originals and other music.

rokdog49 06-15-2019 12:46 PM

Our duet was binder-bound for just a very brief time until my friend Lee discovered "On Song" for out IPads.
That was two years ago plus and I couldn't imagine doing the binder thing again.
Congrats and welcome to 2019.

penname 06-15-2019 01:02 PM

I went digital this year also. Newzik, ForScore and GuitarPro on the new iPad Pro 12.9 inch, with H&M tablet holder and PageFlip Firefly. I have some of the sheet music & tab on the iPad but have a lot more stored on a MyCloud storage device accessible over the public Internet. I don’t miss my old collection of binders at all.

AndrewG 06-15-2019 01:33 PM

Brave man. Batteries, I don't trust them!:D

CoryB 06-15-2019 02:02 PM

I'm slowly migrating my papers to ForScore on an iPad. I like that I can crop the pages to take out the margins and enlarge the actual score and lyrics, but then again, I'm still on my old 9" iPad right now.

My wife got a new, larger iPad and we're moving her "vintage" - I just call it old - piano and accordion music to it. Lots easier carrying one iPad than 8-10 books.

The Kid! 06-15-2019 02:23 PM

It’s great. I have the app on my phone as well in case I don’t want to deal wth the iPad or if I ever forget it. Everything syncs to Dropbox. It’s a game changer.

robj144 06-15-2019 02:43 PM

It's not related to lyrics, but I teach with a tablet. It has digital ink and I've been using it for 15 years now. I basically have 15 years of classes and all important notes and work on my computer... including my own music notes I've written down. I can search through it and it only take up about 5 gigabytes, so I back it up all the time. It would probably be 100's of notebooks or binders full of material.

It's so much better digitally.

Earl49 06-15-2019 03:08 PM

I'm still a dinosaur stuck firmly in the paper binder mode. My wife uses a large iPad with ForScore and GoodReader as PDF apps for her flute music notation - and loves it. When she upgrades her iPad, I will no doubt inherit that one and convert over my songbooks at that time. Everything is on my computer and most of it is PDF already, plus formatted on the page just the way that I like. I resisted until the big iPad came out that could display a full 8½ x 11 page at a time (or close enough). Anything smaller is too little for my aging eyes to read.

As it stands now I have four different 1½" thick binders targeted at different uses, assembled over many years. There is a binder for holiday music, another for luau and Hawaiian music, my primary songbook, and a catch-all binder. I have memorized about 300 or so regularly played songs. I previously used vinyl sheet holders, but a couple of years ago reprinted everything double sided and without the vinyl page thingies. That cut a 3" binder down to about 1" thick right there, and cut the weight in half.

The only drawback I've seen when looking onto someone else's iPad at a jam is glare and reflections. That would not be a problem for my own, as it would be positioned for me. But sometimes I end up looking on to someone else's device.

MikeBmusic 06-17-2019 06:29 AM

I'm still dinosauring it as well, just updated my main binder, pulling out a couple of dozen old songs I no longer play (or have forgotten) and replacing them with others I have learned more recently. 2-1/2 hour of playing yesterday and I only made it to the 'L's. The sheets are all in plastic sleeves, and mostly are lyrics-only.
I've been reluctant to switch to a tablet because of the cost of a large screen version - I print all my lyric sheets in 26 font so I can read them without glasses!

rokdog49 06-17-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 6087381)
Brave man. Batteries, I don't trust them!:D

Buy an IPad then. It's re-chargeable.
Welcome to 2019. ;)

619TF 06-17-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 6088509)
Buy an IPad then. It's re-chargeable.
Welcome to 2019. ;)

Yeah, rechargeable BATTERIES. Welcome to 2019 where people assume you'll have access to electricity at all times (especially the most inappropriate times when your batteries are most likely to die), where people believe that their tech will always work, that they'll never drop or otherwise damage their device, and where they're willing to share all their data and location with their corporate tech "partners". ;)

Earl49 06-17-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 619TF (Post 6088583)
....people assume you'll have access to electricity at all times....where people believe that their tech will always work, that they'll never drop or otherwise damage their device, and where they're willing to share all their data and location with their corporate tech "partners". ;)

These are the reasons why I advocate having at least five songs committed to memory with titles written on a 3x5 index card in your guitar case. You won't have your music stand, binder, and adequate lighting when you really want it. Five songs will get you five times around the song circle without needing ANY binder or device. Even solo around the campfire, five songs will give you ~20 minutes of play time.