The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD - Tak TNV460SC (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576236)

jwhelan56 03-26-2020 10:13 AM

NGD - Tak TNV460SC

Well, not today but a few weeks ago...........with the craziness going on right now just haven't had a chance to post.

I recently acquired this (used) after finding it on Reverb from a dealer called Guitar Riot. I made an offer that they accepted, and BOOM! New guitar day for me!!

I had been looking at both TNV360SC's and TNV460SC's. I decided that rather than a dreadnought with the 360, I would go with the small jumbo shape of the 460. These series of guitars featured really nicely bear clawed Sitka tops, and very nice straight grained EI Rosewood. Of course it has the Takamine Cool Tube preamp system, this one having the CTP-2 preamp.

I had also bought a brand new P5NC a few months ago, and as nice as it was I could not get used to (or my left hand didn't like) the 1 11/16"nut width and string spacing. Even though I don't have really large hands or fingers, it just didn't suit me so I sold that. The TNV460SC has a 1.77" nut width. The neck is a little chunky, but not so much that it still isn't really nice to play.

I love the tone and volume of the guitar, in addition to it's good looks. About the only thing I need to do is tweak the truss rod for slightly lower action, and might change the plastic with abalone dot bridge pins to either bone or Ivoroid.

So, with that said............here she is! With all of her Bear Claw beauty!! :)

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...74f5e83a_c.jpg20200326_090043 by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...97073098_c.jpg20200326_090055 by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8a83288e_c.jpg20200326_090111 by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...19343fb4_c.jpg20200326_090157 by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c1a48452_c.jpgTakamine TNV460SC model-serial label by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

Dbone 03-26-2020 10:18 AM

BOOM :) Very nice. Big Tak fan here generally speaking.

Enjoy in good health.

YamahaGuy 03-26-2020 11:27 AM

Wow! Nice. The nut is narrow on the P5DC, relative to the chunky neck (I just bought a P5DC). I highly recommend getting the Takamine transducer pickup if you play plugged in.

doodahdoug 03-26-2020 11:42 AM

NGD

Congratulations on your new Takamine Jim, enjoy it in good health!

thechoochlyman 03-26-2020 12:49 PM

Very, very nice. I'm a big Tak fan as well, and that's a fabulous instrument.

Looks like it may be a MIRC refub, judging from the new serial number on the soundhole label. Is there a "used" stamp anywhere on the back of the headstock? Is the original serial number tag still present on the neck block?

jwhelan56 03-26-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechoochlyman (Post 6329624)
Very, very nice. I'm a big Tak fan as well, and that's a fabulous instrument.

Looks like it may be a MIRC refub, judging from the new serial number on the soundhole label. Is there a "used" stamp anywhere on the back of the headstock? Is the original serial number tag still present on the neck block?

Hey, good eye there.........I did not notice right away that stamped on the back of the headstock is indeed a ''used" imprint. The original serial number tag was not in the case. The ad for the guitar did not list it as a refurb......

What does MIRC stand for? I think I got it for a reasonable price, but since this is a discontinued model I have no idea what the original MSRP or "street price" was for this guitar. Thoughts??

Birchtop 03-26-2020 01:25 PM

Congrats, that’s purty!

Happy NGD to you! :guitar:

BluesBelly 03-26-2020 01:26 PM

Congratulations JW56! Nice looking rig!
You can’t go wrong with Takamine Nashville series. The NEX body shape is attractive while producing quality sound. Top grade solid top and solid back woods. The Pro-Series Takamine guitars that I have, and have had, are all equipped with Gotoh tuners. The playability is great and the action can be set low.
At one point I bought a new Takamine TSF48SC with Cool Tube 2. This is similar to your TNV460 but with the Santa Fe’ southwestern theme. As mush as I liked that guitar I could not get used to the 1-11/16” nut and so I sold it, eventually replacing it with. Martin M-36 with 1-3/4” nut.
If you have any questions about your Takamine check out www.Takamineforum.com
Enjoy!
Blues.

thechoochlyman 03-26-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhelan56 (Post 6329674)
Hey, good eye there.........I did not notice right away that stamped on the back of the headstock is indeed a ''used" imprint. The original serial number tag was not in the case. The ad for the guitar did not list it as a refurb......

What does MIRC stand for? I think I got it for a reasonable price, but since this is a discontinued model I have no idea what the original MSRP or "street price" was for this guitar. Thoughts??

MIRC is the Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation, located in Franklin TN. From my understanding they purchase new, damaged instruments and repair them and resell to their distributors. Apparently they do personal instruments as well, and you can have them quote your job. From what I can tell they do phenomenal work, I just truly despise how the remove the original serial number and stamp "USED" on the headstock. I understand they have legitimate reasons for it, but I think it's just too much.

As for the value of the guitar itself, Nashville series Taks seem to go between $1200 and $1500 depending on condition and how bad the seller wants to part with it. :)

EDIT: Along with the Takamine Forum, you can join our Facebook group with 14,000 members. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TakamineGuitars/

I've only been seriously playing Taks for the last four or five years, but in that time I've owned around 25 Japanese models of all kinds and set up/repaired about 60 more. They're definitely my favorite large-scale guitar manufacturer, and will always have a special place in my heart. I know you're going to love your TNV460, it's a great body shape with the best tone woods.

jwhelan56 03-27-2020 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6329554)
Wow! Nice. The nut is narrow on the P5DC, relative to the chunky neck (I just bought a P5DC). I highly recommend getting the Takamine transducer pickup if you play plugged in.

Thanks YamahaGuy!

Can you expand on using the transducer pickup and the differences/benefits of adding this pickup?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

jwhelan56 03-27-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesBelly (Post 6329685)
Congratulations JW56! Nice looking rig!
You can’t go wrong with Takamine Nashville series. The NEX body shape is attractive while producing quality sound. Top grade solid top and solid back woods. The Pro-Series Takamine guitars that I have, and have had, are all equipped with Gotoh tuners. The playability is great and the action can be set low.
At one point I bought a new Takamine TSF48SC with Cool Tube 2. This is similar to your TNV460 but with the Santa Fe’ southwestern theme. As mush as I liked that guitar I could not get used to the 1-11/16” nut and so I sold it, eventually replacing it with. Martin M-36 with 1-3/4” nut.
If you have any questions about your Takamine check out www.Takamineforum.com
Enjoy!
Blues.

Thanks for the comments and the referral to the Takamine Forum! Cheers!!

jwhelan56 03-27-2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechoochlyman (Post 6329689)
MIRC is the Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation, located in Franklin TN. From my understanding they purchase new, damaged instruments and repair them and resell to their distributors. Apparently they do personal instruments as well, and you can have them quote your job. From what I can tell they do phenomenal work, I just truly despise how the remove the original serial number and stamp "USED" on the headstock. I understand they have legitimate reasons for it, but I think it's just too much.

As for the value of the guitar itself, Nashville series Taks seem to go between $1200 and $1500 depending on condition and how bad the seller wants to part with it. :)

EDIT: Along with the Takamine Forum, you can join our Facebook group with 14,000 members. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TakamineGuitars/

I've only been seriously playing Taks for the last four or five years, but in that time I've owned around 25 Japanese models of all kinds and set up/repaired about 60 more. They're definitely my favorite large-scale guitar manufacturer, and will always have a special place in my heart. I know you're going to love your TNV460, it's a great body shape with the best tone woods.

This is great info, so thank you kindly! Also thanks for the referral to the Takamine Facebook page. I have already signed on. All the best to you!!

YamahaGuy 03-27-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhelan56 (Post 6330240)
Thanks YamahaGuy!

Can you expand on using the transducer pickup and the differences/benefits of adding this pickup?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

With your preamp, you should have an RCA phono jack that allows for an auxiliary pickup to be added. There is a magnetic soundhole one available, as well as the transducer one. If you play using percussive tones for looping or any other reason, you should consider the transducer pickup. It picks up the tapping on the body and adds a more transparent sound to the plugged in tone. Though the palathetic pickup itself sounds good, to me it still sounds like a piezo, surely not as quacky as most, but it still sounds like a piezo. I bought the transducer pickup off a guy on Reverb for $129 and it's worth every penny. It simply sticks onto the soundboard. It essentially is like 1/3 of a K&K pure mini with a phono RCA plug on it that plugs directly into your preamp. The guitar's plugged in tone will sound way more natural with this pickup.

thechoochlyman 03-27-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6330334)
With your preamp, you should have an RCA phono jack that allows for an auxiliary pickup to be added. There is a magnetic soundhole one available, as well as the transducer one. If you play using percussive tones for looping or any other reason, you should consider the transducer pickup. It picks up the tapping on the body and adds a more transparent sound to the plugged in tone. Though the palathetic pickup itself sounds good, to me it still sounds like a piezo, surely not as quacky as most, but it still sounds like a piezo. I bought the transducer pickup off a guy on Reverb for $129 and it's worth every penny. It simply sticks onto the soundboard. It essentially is like 1/3 of a K&K pure mini with a phono RCA plug on it that plugs directly into your preamp. The guitar's plugged in tone will sound way more natural with this pickup.

Do you happen to also have a cooltube in your guitar? Cooltubes in general tend to sound more quacky than any of the other preamps, especially if the tube isn't fully engaged.

If you can swing the cash, I'd highly recommend getting a CT4-DX. It's the best preamp Takamine makes, doesn't have a tube, and also has dual inputs. For just using the palathetic, the CT4BII is excellent, and I'd personally recommend it over any of the cooltubes.

YamahaGuy 03-27-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechoochlyman (Post 6330348)
Do you happen to also have a cooltube in your guitar? Cooltubes in general tend to sound more quacky than any of the other preamps, especially if the tube isn't fully engaged.

If you can swing the cash, I'd highly recommend getting a CT4-DX. It's the best preamp Takamine makes, doesn't have a tube, and also has dual inputs. For just using the palathetic, the CT4BII is excellent, and I'd personally recommend it over any of the cooltubes.

Yes, my P5DC has the CTP-3 preamp. I'll put the CT4-DX on my short list. Thanks.