The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone try these Schertler Tuning machines? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293247)

John How 04-25-2013 10:25 PM

Anyone try these Schertler Tuning machines?

Anyone try these Schertler Tuning machines?
Just wondering how they are.

Howard Klepper 04-25-2013 10:31 PM

Excellent.

John How 04-25-2013 10:42 PM

Thanks Howard, how have you been?

M Sarad 04-25-2013 11:14 PM

I have Schertlers on my Brondel. I prefer them to the Waverlys on my Merrill.

Kyle Burner 04-26-2013 08:08 AM

I agree with Howard. We just used them on our last guitar and I love them.

Kent Chasson 04-26-2013 08:19 AM

They've become my recommended tuner. Light, easy to install, smooth action, no problems yet.

Bruce Sexauer 04-26-2013 09:34 AM

I have used eight sets and will be using them again on my current build. They don't look good to me on my Martinesque work, but look great on more modern designs.

Boston34 04-26-2013 09:55 AM

I'm lucky enough to have that last guitar from Burner Guitars that Kyle Burner mentioned, and the tuners look great and work perfectly. Very impressed. I prefer them to my Gotoh 510's and Waverly's for look and feel thus far.

Howard Klepper 04-26-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John How (Post 3448939)
Thanks Howard, how have you been?

Very well, and you? I thought you went back to your high-tech gig and were not building.

theEdwinson 04-26-2013 05:19 PM

I recently bought a set of the Schertlers for slotted headstock, and another set of standard, solid headstock tuners, for a couple of guitars I'm working on right now. They are excellently machined, absolutely no slop in the action, and the finish work is as good as it gets. These are my new favorite tuners.

pgilmor 04-26-2013 11:02 PM

I had a set of these put on a nylon string crossover and they are as bad or worse than the cheapest tuners on the cheapest guitar I've ever seen. Over 90 degrees slop on one of them. I must have got a bad set since so many others have had such good luck. Or maybe they need to be under more tension to operate well.

Bruce Sexauer 04-27-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgilmor (Post 3450062)
I had a set of these put on a nylon string crossover and they are as bad or worse than the cheapest tuners on the cheapest guitar I've ever seen. Over 90 degrees slop on one of them. I must have got a bad set since so many others have had such good luck. Or maybe they need to be under more tension to operate well.

I found this review so unlikely that I had to make sure they actually make classical tuners. Or maybe there is a knock off with a similar name. I have never seen even a hint of slop in a single one of the Schertler tuners I've handled, and since they are made on a cast base I guess I imagined that a bad one wouldn't exist.

runamuck 04-27-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

"...over 90 degrees slop..."

Let's see a photo of that.

Island Mfg. 04-27-2013 10:11 AM

Do any of you know if the Schertler buttons are interchangeable with Gotoh/Schaller or any other off the shelf button?

Howard Klepper 04-27-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

I'm having trouble believing this. 1/4 of a rotation with no engagement of the gears? You would need a tooth missing.