The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Post your recording acoustic setup (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273107)

j3ffr0 11-22-2012 12:09 AM

Recorder:
Tascam 2488 Neo

Pres:
M-Audio DMP3
Presonus Eurkea

Recording Mics:
KSM-44
AT4021
AKG460B

Traps - GIK Acoustics:
1 6"x2'x4'
4 4"x2'x4'
6 2'x2'x4' (I keep a few of these unmounted for ad-hoc isolation.... works well)

Monitors:
KRK Rokit 5"
AKG K240 (Original phones)

Signal Processing:
Drawmer DL241 (Use it mainly for bass... sometime Vox and guitar)
Roland Dep-5 (reverb for drums mostly)
A few other things, but nothing that gets used much.

I usually record using a space pair configuration.... One near the 12th fret and one somewhere between the bridge and end pin. Sometimes I'll do an XY with the SDCs. Have thought about getting another AT4021 for XY configuration, but I doubt out hear much of a difference.

Best money I spent (bang for my buck):
GIK Traps
DMP-3 Pre-amp
AT4021

BoneDigger 11-22-2012 06:26 PM

Post your recording acoustic setup

I use the following equipment:
1) Zoom H4N
2) Samson C02 mics (x2)
3) Two boom mic stands
4) Martin D28 (generally rhythm), Blueridge BR140a (generally lead acoustic), Johnson Las Vegas (archtop, electric rhythm and lead), Roland Microcube amp, Deering Goodtime 2 banjo, gretsch mandolin

I have the Zoom set up with the two Samson mics as lines 1 and 2. I use the two of them on the same mic stand with x setup (facing in). I use these to record the guitar parts. I use the built in mics for recording vocals. I always record each part separately and mix in Reaper.

I record on the stereo setting with the two mics and also for the voice recording.

When recording electric guitar I play through the amp and record using the Samson mics.

My setup is very basic but works well enough. It is also easily moved from room to room. I usually record in a room in my house that is generally acoustically neutral. But I also have a room with some echo that I use for vocals.

Todd

anton 11-23-2012 05:32 PM

Great idea for a thread. Here is what I have at the moment, and I'll try and post some pics soon. Hopefully we will be moving soon and I will have my own dedicated music room.. :)

What's your studio/recording space like?
Small extra room that is also my wifes home office. So I can't really leave my mics sitting out for long periods of time.

What are your goals for recording your acoustic music?
Be able to have a final product that is good enough to sell at gigs. I would like to be able to do basic tracking and editing at home, then have someone else mix and master.

What kind of music do you like to play/record?
Largely solo guitar, but also doing some ensemble stuff. Mostly acoustic instruments like guitar, flute, banjo, bouzouki, mandolin. Though I did just get a Telecaster ;)

Is your studio space treated? How?
Three of the corners are partly treated with acoustic foam. I need to do more. Plan to build some of Fran's broadband absorbers once we move.

What's in your mic locker?
Two ADK A6's.
Two Line Audio CM3's I will probably sell.
Just bid on a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's for $610, we'll see if i end up getting those.

Computer-based or standalone recorder?
Computer based, iMac and Logic Pro 9. Presonus Firestudio Mobile. KRK RP5 monitors. AKG K240 headphones

Favorite mic pattern/placement for recording acoustic guitar?
Spaced pair seems the most consistent for me at the moment.

New gear you have your eye on?
Room treatment, and always more mics of course...

How has home recording evolved for you?
From experimenting more the past few months I have realized that acoustics, room, and outside noise matter so much. I have more or less given up on getting better results in our current house due to living on a busy street/bus line.

Rick Shepherd 11-24-2012 09:46 AM

Hi Chris!

A carpeted 20'x15'x9' room.

The continue to learn and record songs that challenge my abilities, record songs that I have learned to share with family and friends, and play for people who appreciate listening.

Solo guitar as well as popular cover tunes from the 70's and 80's mostly, like James Taylor, John Denver, Jim Croce, etc.

I have some 3'x5' fiberglass panels that I place around me while I record, with foam panels and auralex foam for extra treatment, nothing too elaborate!

Gefell M300 matched pair
Peluso 2247 LE LDC
B.L.U.E. Kiwi
Shure SM7b
Shure SM58
Neumann KMS 105
Shure Beta 87 (1980's)

Computer based, Macbook Pro and Logic Pro 9.
Component rack setup includes: Avalon AD2022 Pre, UA LA-610 recording channel, UA2192 AD/DA converter, Lexicon PCM92 Effects, M-Audio Profire 610 interface to connect the signal to my laptop via the firewire 800 port. It's killer!

Spaced pair seems the most consistent for me at the moment also. I like to mix things up using both matched pair and LDC/SDC.

Nothing at the moment

It has been painful and rewarding! I think I have improved over time. :)

mccallum 11-24-2012 09:54 AM

Great thread alohachris!

After a ton of question asking and re-budgeting this is what I currently use:

Microphones:
Rode NT1-A
Samson C01
Shure PG81
Shure PG58
Shure SM58
AKG D 8000M
Audix OM-5

Mic Preamp:
Focusrite Voicebox (Class A)

Equalization:
DOD SR231Q (31 band)

Signal Processing:
BBE 428i
Behringer DSP1100P (used as digital 31 band EQ)

DAW:
Reaper w/ Audacity

Headphones:
(1) AKG K 240 studio
(1) Sennheiser HD201
(2) AKG K 44
Beyerdynamic DT252 (wishlist)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (wishlist)

Monitors:
JBL

Mixer:
Behringer Xenyx X2442USB

Digital Recorder:
Fostex MR-8mkII

Amps:
DRIVE CD300
CRATE FlexWave 15R

Line Effects:
Digitech RP90
DI Box

Instruments:
Acoustic:
Taylor: 410ce-SL (Spruce/Koa)
Dean: EAB (Bass / Spruce/Mahogany)
Epiphone: AJ35S (Dreadnought / Spruce/Mahogany)
Takamine: EG523EC (Jumbo / Maple)
Cedar Creek: Mountain Dulcimer
Ibanez: M510-DVS Mandolin

Electric:
Spectrum Strat Replica
Ibanez RG2EX2

Keyboard:
Casio LX220

Percussion:
Percussion Plus 2 1/2 octave Bell Kit (F to C)
Cajon
Macho / Hembra Bongos
Foot Tambourine
Piccolo Cabasa
Mouth Harp

Favorite recording techniques on acoustic guitar I place the PG81 and SM58 on a bar at 90deg approx 8" - 12" away from the guitar. The PG81 I have aimed at just below the 12th fret and the 58 at the neck. Occasionally I will also add an additional track with a 58 placed behind the body of the guitar to help capture bass.

I have recently started recording an 8 course Lute and I use the C01 approx 12" above and 3' away with the PG81 about 8" away aimed where the neck meets the body.
For Vocals I use the C01 into the Focusrite into the X2442. I use an insert to route the signal to the DOD for additional control.
Everything is routed out of the X2442 via subs to the Fostex recorder and then mixed in Reaper.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSCF6538.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSCF6552.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSCF6542.jpg

dhar 12-13-2012 11:11 AM

Just a stereo pair of SM81 mics into a Duet 2 into my MacBook with Logic. Super simple, relatively inexpensive, and more than enough to record solo fingerstyle stuff for family and friends.

The Colonel 12-13-2012 02:51 PM

Eastman AC-812 into Rode NT4 stereo mic, into Tascam US-800 a/d interface, into Mac -Garage Band.

I record in a basement office that has a lot of tile and too little carpeting, so I have a problem with sound bouncing off floors and walls. For what it's worth, here's a clip of the sound I can achieve with that fairly simple set up in a not particularly good recording space:

https://soundcloud.com/#da-colonel/blackbird-cover

stevecuss 12-13-2012 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=alohachris;3248954]Aloha Friends,

What's your studio/recording space like? Front office in our house. Wood floor, normal ceiling height. I have to setup for each recording, rather than using an established setup room. It takes about 30 minutes to get everything in place

What are your goals for recording your acoustic music? Some family members kindly started a guitar fund for me, with which I purchased a preowned Mcilroy Acoustic. I recorded an "album" as a way of saying thanks and to keep my need for fastidious hobbies alive.

What kind of music do you like to play/record? singer/songwriter acoustic driven music

Is your studio space treated? How? a pair of Fran Guidry style Acoustical Panels, some curtains and comforters as well.

What's in your mic locker? one ADK A6 and one CAD M9. I prefer the A6 for instruments, the M9 for vocals and I use both in stereo for acoustic fingerstyle

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc. Reaper on Mac with Reaper and Garage Band Plugins. Mics into previous version of Apogee Duet into the Mac. CAD Headphones for mixing and mastering. Having mixed with headphones, I totally get why people say to buy monitors. .

Favorite mic pattern/placement for recording acoustic guitar? A6 12 - 15" off the 12th fret. M9 over the shoulder, 18" or so off the body.

New gear you have your eye on? My budget does not allow for a wandering eye :)

How has home recording evolved for you? I went from complete novice to very much a novice. I've learned a great deal from many of you and other forums. I have a long way to go to truly use EQ and compression well. I've thoroughly enjoyed the learning curve

Thanks Chris - you were instrumental in my gear choice.

Jeff Scott 12-13-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohachris (Post 3248954)
Aloha Friends,

Just for fun, what recording signal chains are you currently playing through at home?

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc. Whatever you use.

Let it all hang out, gentleman! I'm just curious, that's all.

Mahalo a nui!

alohachris

What's yours? ;)

KevWind 12-14-2012 08:51 AM

oh Chris has a nice set up. But I agree, hey Chris how about some photos ?

So here is where I am now after moving from Wyoming to Colorado a year and 1/2 ago.
I ,as they the said on the the TV show "The Jeffersons" was "Moving on up" went from a basement to the attic.

When we bought the place
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...pics/Attic.jpg

Now shows the desk with KRK V8 monitors behind, the Mac 27" Cinema display. The Mac Pro under the left side desk and the front end rack under the right. And the Edirol midi controller keyboard left. You can't tell very well from the pic but there is about 9 feet from the monitors to the back wall
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...SuriStudio.jpg

The desk with the Bricasti M7 2 channel reverb in the right desk slot
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0pics/Desk.jpg

The Rack with An A Designs MP2A 2 channel tube pre and Avid OMNI interface w/ Pro Tools HD Native, and a Monster power conditioner. Also shows ( behind rack right side ) the Sound Anchor speaker stands for the monitors
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...pics/Rack2.jpg

P.S. Mics are a Brauner Phantom V, LDC for vocals and guitar and a Schoeps CMC6 w/ M4 capsule, SDC for guitar.

Doubleneck 12-14-2012 09:12 AM

Just posted my first Utube with this kitchen table studio, set up this month. Learning curve about 2 hours. Easy, fun, and sounds pretty good.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../recording.jpg

secondstring 12-14-2012 11:25 AM

A studio (apartment), so no fancy treatment or anything.

Keeping track of my progress, writing and recording originals

Acoustic singer/songwriter stuff. Keeping it mostly vocals / guitar. I experimented with adding a cajon and some other shakers for percussion, but I'm starting to think that I'd rather just get better at guitar than trying to spread myself thin trying to fake being a drummer.

It's not the limiting factor for me :)

CAD GXL 3000 (on sale at Musicians Friend) which I used for almost everything, SM57, which I don't really use anymore.

Tascam DP008 for doing the actual recording, Garageband and a 2007 Macbook for editing

Recorder? DAW? Interface? Preamp? FX? Plug-in's? Ext. HD's for storage? Monitors? Headphones? Power amp? Controller/mixer or completely ITB? Cables? Mic stands? etc.
Yamaha HS50 monitors, a Toneport UX2 to drive them (which I used before I got a Tascam DP008). Standard cables, $20 over-the-ear Sony headphones for multitracking.

I usually just put the large diaphragm condensor somewhere near the 12th fret - or I just record the guitar direct if I'm feeling particularly lazy (and I can't remember how to play the song without singing the vocals)

Recording wise, I wish I had the Zoom 8-track recorder instead of the Tascam because transferring finished files is a pain. But I'll probably just stick with the Tascam for now.

The Tascam has been a big step up in productivity for me. I have it always plugged in and ready to go instead of having to plug cables / microphones into my Toneport + Macbook (which for room layout reasons is inconvenient). My Macbook is now slow enough that I can't record without the fan kicking in. I can't surf the web on the Tascam, so I can focus much more easily while using it. I also find the lack of options on the Tascam better for focusing and laying down tracks.

I tried recording on an Ipad for a while, but I like the fact I can punch in easily (and cheaply) with the Tascam's footswitch. Harder to do on a stock ipad without any of the fancy interfaces.

Some samples can be found at https://soundcloud.com/tamphan (both covers and originals)

alohachris 12-14-2012 01:30 PM

Aloha Friends!

Aloha Friends,

Man, there are some nice recording rigs of all sorts listed. Thank you for sharing them.

Kev, having seen both your basement & 'Jeffersons' studio's now, I can say that you really know how to set up a high quality, great pro level, & very esthetically pleasing recording space in any kind of space. Nice work!

Of course, I am thrilled, after last summer's close call (unreal: within feet of his house) with the Colorado fires, that you even have a recording studio, let alone a home. Ha! Talk about blessings.

In that domestic regard, my situation has dramatically changed as well. I had to leave my great, mountaintop, rainforest home of many years last summer. Personal reasons. Just had to.

That meant breaking down & putting into storage a whole house, a full-on guitar-making shop & most of my recording studio until my next home finds me. House-sitting at the beach for a friend on sabbatical now.

But here is my rig:

Computer: 2009 IMac - 3.06 Hz, 8 gigs of RAM, 21.5" screen

DAW: Logic Pro 9.1.8

Interfaces: Apogee Ensemble or Duet1

Vocal LDC Condenser Mic's
: Microtech Gefell UM-900 multi-pattern, Vintage Neumann U87 multi, Mojave MA-200 cardioid's.

Guitar Condenser Mic's
: Schoeps Matched CMC6 SDC's with MK41 (hyper), MK4 (cardioid), MK2 (omni) & MK8 (ribbon) capsules. Pair of vintage U87' LDC multi's (early 70's). AEA R84 ribbon, JW-modded AKG 460 SDC's, Peluso Matched P-28 tube's, ADK A6's. Mojave MA-200's for strumming tracks.The Schoeps 641's are my "go-to's" for fingerstyle.

Preamps: Pendulum Audio MDP-1a tube, A Designs Pacifica, Pendulum SPS-1, & the Apogee's (which have great mic onboard preamps

External Storage HD's: Glyphs

Plug-in's: Waves Bundle (mixing, mastering), Altiverb 6 (convolution reverb) & Logic Pro's plug-in's & FX are very good too

Monitors: Adam A7X (near-field), Custom Koa Daedalus 803's (mid-range), Alpine car stereo

Headphones: AKG Studio 240's

External Compressor: (for vox tracks only - rarely used) UA 1176

Cables: Mogami, Canare/Neutrik

Room Treatment: Essential for using mic's & all recording. 22 self-made, portable, 4"x2'x4' broadband absorbers. I put them where I need them, creating a 'room-within-a-room' type of control of early & bass reflections.

I trap the four corners & wall-to-ceiling joints (in front), treat the room itself & also create a treated tracking space or vocal booth using the absorbers. The best part is I can put them away when not in use & it's not permanent or expensive.

Check out Fran Guidry's site for great tips on how to make your own treatment cost-effectively. It will increase your miking/recording options & definitely improve your acoustic recordings (off the soapbox again):

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

Gear I'm Lookin' At? : Schoeps newest capsule: the MK22 open cardioid.

Truthfully,I really have too many quality tools for home recording at this point - much more than I need for what I do. Therefore, I'm going to start selling off a lot of it. It was truly fun putting together these choices. At least I know my limitations in recording are not caused by the gear. The room treatment, UM900, CMC6's & caps & probably the MDP-1a & basic's, I'll keep forever.

Evolution
I've been around recording & studio's off & on for a long time, & have been a regular gigger for many decades. So I have some knowledge about mic placement, mic's & the front end. I can make a decent track. I can mix & achieve an open, natural sound. But mastering....?

Many great guys at AGF have helped me learn about DAW's & computer-based recording in the last 10 years. There is lots to learn & the learning curve has been steep.

One thing I have learned is that home DAW recording is not for everyone or every personality. It uses a different side of the brain than does the playing & the creative music side of things.

For example, it is very easy for me to become distracted by my limitations on the gear/recording side - at the expense of the music side of the equation. Gear obsession can lead to flat performances when it's time to play. So I've been working on ways of of fixing that issue, slowly.

There is a reason why pro ME's are good at what they do - they've put the time in. Most of us acoustic players simply will never get to that level in home recording.

Therefore, my goal for my simple, live, decisively non-commercial projects has been to create great tracks that can be mixed by a pro ME. I know my limitations & also that I've run out of time to gain that knowledge & experience. I was always a gigger first. Rarely, did I even think about recording my own music - until recently. But it sure is fun. And what you learn in a studio is VERY useful for live situations as well.

Mahalo for your great posts, friends. Anymore home rigs to share?

alohachris

PS: Every instrument on my recordings I played or mic'ed in real-time. No VST's, samples, drum's I don't play, loopers, etc.. Like many players in my generation, I still feel that adding stuff you don't play is a bit dishonest & "plastic" on acoustic mixes. I take more of a classical music approach. In that regard, I don't take advantage of any of the million+ samples provided by Logic Pro, nor will I ever. Depends of course on your goals. -alohachris-

Doug Young 12-14-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohachris (Post 3277757)
PS: Everything you hear on my recordings I played, mic'ed in real-time. No VST's, samples, drum's I don't play, loopers, etc..

So Chris, when do we get to hear this stuff?

alohachris 12-14-2012 02:02 PM

Never! Ha!

Aloha Doug,

Nice try. As you know, I don't know how to share music (easily), pictures or video online. Too much humbug for my brain. I guess I won't be doing it anytime soon. Youtube is not a goal for me (though yours are so beautiful from your latest CD).

Right now, it's bad enough that I can't use any of that equipment I have accumulated (in storage). Everything for me is on hold.

But sharing the music wasn't the aim of this thread. I was just trying to help players see what recording gear works for other players; to have them ask the question, "Why?" Wasn't even going to share my rig until someone asked.

A Hui Hou!

alohachris