The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   AGF Classifieds - Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2010 R.T2 Slot Head 12 Fret. EX+! SOLD AGF. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547651)

Guitars44me 05-24-2019 10:59 AM

2010 R.T2 Slot Head 12 Fret. EX+! SOLD AGF.

SOLD, AGF!

On her way to O.C.

Once again Offering my R.Taylor Style 2. 12 fret slot head. Cedar/Mahogany

I WAS Asking what I believe is a very reasonable $3,850

Beautiful Flamed Koa binding and backstrip. ($500 upgrade)

The Slot Headstock was a $600 upgrade, too.

Originally listed for $4,450 plus the $1,100 in upgrades. $5,550!

Recently inspected, buffed and dialed in by Tim Luranc, who was the Head Luthier in charge of R.T. For the entire six years and 1200 or so guitars they built! Bob Taylor put him in charge on day one of RT. He was Taylor Guitar's FIRST employee! Serious mojo...

Now has a K&K Pure Mini installed by Tim Luranc. Sounds HUGE AND FAT PLUGGED IN! Fantastic amplified tone.

Excellent Plus Condition! VERY NEAR MINT!!!

Feather Light. One of the lightest steel strings I have ever played. Feels alive in your arms... :)

24.75" Short Scale,

1.75" Bone Nut, 2 3/16" spacing at RT compensated Bone Saddle

Standard Carve neck is sleek and fast!

R.T guitars are rare enough anyway, but in the more expensive 12 fret slot head configuration are rare as hens teeth.

Tim L. is my good friend (lucky me) and was my Tech before his recent retirement. He LOVES THIS ONE, and is urging me to keep it...
But I recently got this back in a trade from my good friend Steve (shorthand on AGF) and I really need a cutaway and a Slim Carve for my old small hands.
Plus, I am overloaded and have a new custom on John Kinnaird's bench.

NO ISSUES ON THIS ! READY TO ROCK!!!

Original Ameritage case in excellent condition.

Always kept cased with Boveda Humidipaks when not being gently played fingerstyle. No flatpicks allowed. :)
Never gigged

Happy to answer any questions or just yak about fine guitars!

619-445-1189. 9 AM to 9 PM West Coast time.

Cheers

Paul

NewPicker 05-24-2019 11:05 AM

(sigh) if I could have them all...

I'm sure this is magnificent, and I envy the next owner. Best of luck with the sale.

fazool 05-24-2019 11:10 AM

I will not buy this and am in no position to buy a $4K guitar.

This is however, my dream guitar. Absolutely beautiful guitar that checks every box I ever imagined in the guitar world.

joe white 05-24-2019 03:40 PM

Man, I still have the peg-head shot of this guitar saved from when it sold in 2014 and it rotates in quite often as a screensaver on my computer. Seems that the binding was cocobolo though?

Guitars44me 05-24-2019 04:44 PM

7 Attachment(s)
This one is Koa binding and back strip. Very similar to Joe's pic otherwise.Attachment 22955Attachment 22956Attachment 22957Attachment 22958Attachment 22959Attachment 22960Attachment 22961

Thanks all! This is as close to a new RT as I have ever found and I have played over 50 or 60! Owned 13 over the years...
COME GET IT. I don't think it will last long, even in this bum market.

CHEERS
Paul

edward993 05-24-2019 06:15 PM

These are seriously wonderful, toneful guitars that few folks know about (and those who think they know often deride). As an owner of a Style 2 (as well as a Style 1), I unabashedly attest that RTs are very special guitars whose sonic lushness and aesthetic beauty make them keepers for me. Had I the means, I'd add this to the stable in a heartbeat.

Free bumperoonie, and a hearty GLWTS of a truly fine instrument!

Edward

Guitars44me 05-26-2019 11:26 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks to all for the kind comments. This is quite a NICE ONE!!!

R. Taylor was Bob Taylor's personal guitar playground. It truly was a small shop just outside of a huge factory! I was fortunate to get a couple tours of the R.T. Shop when commissioning a couple of special instruments. Bob and a small team of Taylor's most experienced luthiers, headed by Tim Luranc, built 200 guitars a YEAR for six years for a total of about 1,200. In contrast, The two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per DAY.

R. Taylor was a luthier's dream while it lasted. All the advantages of the world-class Taylor factory, and all the time necessary to build world-class Luthier style guitars. Nice to be able to walk next-door and help yourself to the cream of Bob's super wood stash! Or the most beautiful abalone.... R.Ts luthiers spent three times as much time on each instrument as Taylor does! Time to hand select the wood, tap tune the pieces, shave the braces, etc. The workmanship is flawless. I have it on good authority that if they ever reopen the R. Taylor shop the guitars will be a LOT more expensive!!!

A FUN SUNDAY to all

Paul

joe white 05-26-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6069837)
This one is Koa binding and back strip. Very similar to Joe's
Paul

Wow! I had no idea. Very similar indeed.

Guitars44me 05-28-2019 10:16 AM

More RT info

THIS BOSS RT STYLE ONE NEEDS NOTHING AT ALL...

R.Taylor was a COMPLETELY SEPARATE COMPANY from Taylor guitars.

Bob Taylor selected Head Luthier Tim Luranc, and the half dozen luthiers of RT to show what they could do in a small shop.
Think Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Huss and Dalton, or maybe the Martin Custom Shop, etc! I toured the shop on the edge of the enormous Taylor campus in El Cajon, when custom ordering, and it was about the size of a four car garage.

R.T guitars took about three times longer to make than ANY Taylor, due to extensive individual voicing, tap tuning, and A LOT of handwork. Unfortunately they turned out to be in competition with Taylor's Build To Order and custom guitar programs. They ceased production at the end of 2011. I have it on good authority from the folks I know who worked at R.T. that if they ever start up production again the guitars will be a lot more expensive!

R.Taylor only made about 200 guitars a year for six years. In contrast the two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per day!

R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made lighter and braced lighter. That needs to be done by hand, resulting in more volume, and better tone!
Also, the "snake head" headstock yields smoother tuning due to a straighter string angle over the nut. The different bridge design has quite a bit less mass. And the Gotoh 510 tuners cannot be beat!

Cheers

Paul

mountainguitar 05-28-2019 10:59 AM

I played this guitar a week ago and it almost went home with me. It's a stunningly gorgeous guitar and so lightweight and easy to play with beautiful tone! I loved looking at that beautiful cedar top. It's an impressive instrument- one of among many that Paul has stashed. These R. Taylor's are something special! And Paul's guitars have all been carefully inspected by the best techs in San Diego, so there really are never issues. I'm particular about who I buy guitars from, and I have one of Paul's old John Kinnaird's. He's a great seller!

If only I weren't guitar rich and cash poor.... Although being guitar rich is a very good thing! :)

Good luck with the sale, Paul!

beth

Shorthand 05-29-2019 10:33 AM

Sweet

This is a really beautiful guitar. It is small and incredibly light. When you park this in your lap to play, you can wrap your arms around it, snuggle up and feel the vibrations. Like all Paul's guitars, it has been through the Tim Luranc "are you worthy" screening and is in near perfect condition. The tone and playability is mindboogling.

palolowarrior 06-01-2019 12:21 AM

Paul is selling his private stash.
Prices are too low!
What are you guys n gals waiting for!

Guitars44me 06-03-2019 10:24 PM

Thank You All

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and endorsements! Much appreciated.

Please reach out with any questions and feel free to make an offer. The worst I will do is say no thanks...

Someone will be thrilled

Paul

Carmel Cedar 06-12-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6082245)
Good one here!

Understatement of the week! This is a great guitar, kept in Paul's 'inner circle' of the best in his home for many years. Looks like a superb Style 2, which are the culmination of Taylor skills and sound of recent era. I've owned two and they are a delight! As is Paul, whether you buy from him or just call to talk guitars, you gain a friend either way. :)

rcalcutta 06-15-2019 11:39 AM

Man, I wish I had room for this one.

Awesome guitar offered by an outstanding individual. Paul is as good a guy as they come.