The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   NMD Pair of AEA N 22 Ribbon Mics (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519773)

KevWind 08-26-2018 08:40 AM

NMD Pair of AEA N 22 Ribbon Mics

So here is literally a first try at recording ( 1 and only pass) using a pair of AEA N22 Ribbon mics I just got .
I thought I would post this raw recording with no editing or processing, other than a high pass filter set at about 80 hz. I even left in the two miss hits towards the end as this was for sonics not technique
I was fairly impressed with how quickly and easily I was able to set up and record a reasonable sound, Even with older going dead stings and an unrehearsed song out of my gigging set list.

This is a spaced pair config. one about 6-8 inches out from the 13-14 fret, and the other is centered at the bottom of the bridge also 6-8 inches out.

More info from website https://www.aearibbonmics.com/products/n22/

KevWind 08-26-2018 08:51 AM

These are interestingly enough phantom powered ribbon mics

https://i.imgur.com/PuVbW0f.jpg

rick-slo 08-26-2018 09:01 AM

Congrats. Sounds good. What's your opinion so far?

Doug Young 08-26-2018 02:03 PM

I got a pair of these a while back, and they're very interesting. Great to have a ribbon that has hot output, good frequency response, and that is meant to mic really close. They seem to me to sound like a cross between a normal ribbon and a condenser. You track sounds good to me!

KevWind 08-26-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 5819270)
Congrats. Sounds good. What's your opinion so far?

I am quite impressed (but I may just be enamored with finally having a pair of the same mic's)

They are fixed figure 8 pattern
I have also tried a singer songwriter style recording with the mic's in a horizontal config so the rejection sides are facing the other mic. One at mouth height and one at the guitar 14th fret
I 'll post that also.

I think that they are perhaps a bit less detailed but perhaps more natural sounding (to my ears anyway) than either my Schoeps or my Brauner (or perhaps just less critical of any flaws in my technique :hmm:) and better suited for my style which is flatpicking stum and fills... Also they are said to be excellent for mic'ing the speakers on an electric amp cab. Which I will be trying also .

KevWind 08-26-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 5819556)
I got a pair of these a while back, and they're very interesting. Great to have a ribbon that has hot output, good frequency response, and that is meant to mic really close. They seem to me to sound like a cross between a normal ribbon and a condenser. You track sounds good to me!

Yes apparently the phantom power helps with a hotter signal, (although I noticed I still had to crank the MP2-A mic pre a fair bit higher than with either of my other condenser mics), like from between 12:00 and 1:00 with condensers, to about 2:45 to 3:00

SpruceTop 08-26-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5819256)
So here is literally a first try at recording ( 1 and only pass) using a pair of AEA N22 Ribbon mics I just got .
I thought I would post this raw recording with no editing or processing, other than a high pass filter set at about 80 hz. I even left in the two miss hits towards the end as this was for sonics not technique
I was fairly impressed with how quickly and easily I was able to set up and record a reasonable sound, Even with older going dead stings and an unrehearsed song out of my gigging set list.

This is a spaced pair config. one about 6-8 inches out from the 13-14 fret, and the other is centered at the bottom of the bridge also 6-8 inches out.

More info from website https://www.aearibbonmics.com/products/n22/

Sounds Good To Me! Thanks.

KevWind 08-27-2018 07:05 AM

As an additional side note

Had a chance to do a vocal mic shootout with two ADK Z-Mod mics at Wind Over the Earth's studio.

First we imported one of my pre recorded sessions that already had the vocal done with my Brauner Phantom V

And then we tracked the session again for two more vocal takes
#1 ADK Custom Shop Z-Mod -Z- 67
#2 ADK Custom Shop Z-Mod- Z- 251

While I had anticipated and was all set to love the 67,.... on my voice the 251 was actually the better fit.
And while all three mics were perfectly acceptable and obviously the Brauner is the sound I am used to hearing, there was just something extra with the 251 on my voice
So it will in fact be my next mic purchase

So now it seems I will be selling both my Schoeps CMC6-MK4 and My Brauner Phantom V (Both purchased new and both in mint condition BTW, used on maybe 30-50 recordings in my home studio )

I will try to post some clips from the shootout later

DupleMeter 08-27-2018 08:43 PM

Sounds good - i would use "meaty" to describe the sound. Big mids, without sounding muddy, and a pronounced roll-off.

I bet they take EQ well & a nice musical EQ would add some beautiful sheen. Something API-ish would be my first choice.

Doug Young 08-30-2018 11:06 PM

You inspired me to dig my NS22s out and play with them a bit tonight. I think I ended up with the same setup as I have before, putting the mics as spaced pairs, but horizontally (a bit unstable because of the shockmount, but it works), and really close, 2-3 inches. Backing up to 8-10 inches, I started to get a bit of a honky midrange, at least with the guitar I was using. Have you tried yours that close?

KevWind 08-31-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 5823541)
You inspired me to dig my NS22s out and play with them a bit tonight. I think I ended up with the same setup as I have before, putting the mics as spaced pairs, but horizontally (a bit unstable because of the shockmount, but it works), and really close, 2-3 inches. Backing up to 8-10 inches, I started to get a bit of a honky midrange, at least with the guitar I was using. Have you tried yours that close?

No not 2-3 the closest has been maybe 6-8 The recording above was done probably 8 maybe 12 I can't remember .
I am away from the studio and wont be back until after the 10th and even then getting a new roof so my attic studio will be a no go for a week or so

muscmp 09-01-2018 12:57 PM

sounds great to me.

i have cascade fathead ribbon mics but i'm sure they don't compare to anything made by aea.

play music!

Al Acuff 09-01-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5819602)
Yes apparently the phantom power helps with a hotter signal, (although I noticed I still had to crank the MP2-A mic pre a fair bit higher than with either of my other condenser mics), like from between 12:00 and 1:00 with condensers, to about 2:45 to 3:00

The signal boost comes from the transformer not the phantom powered electronics which are buffering (not boosting) the signal.

A pair of N22s in Blumlein sounds pretty magical on acoustic guitars. Try a vertical (standard) Blumlein array placing them 6-10 inches from the guitar and roll off a little low end. Your spaced pair sounds great too Kev. Have fun with your N22s!

FWIW I have wood floors which transmit sound to the mic stands and I've found the included N22 shockmounts to be lacking. The Rycote shockmounts (with the red springs) work well with N22s and work with the mounting bar for Blumlein stereo as well.

And these are a well kept secret that can make a positive difference for very little money even if you are using a shockmount. An easy way to lower the noise floor. Primacoustic Tripads

FrankHudson 09-02-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5819593)
They are fixed figure 8 pattern
I have also tried a singer songwriter style recording with the mic's in a horizontal config so the rejection sides are facing the other mic. One at mouth height and one at the guitar 14th fret
I 'll post that also.

Looking forward to hearing that sample as well. Can you, (or anyone) show or link to a picture of this style of array with figure 8 mics in use with guitar/vocal too?

jim1960 09-02-2018 10:08 AM

I recently picked up this used Mesanovic Model 2S. I was in the market for their active version, the 2AS, but this showed up at a price so low that I couldn't pass it up. I haven't tried it yet except to make sure it actually works. I'm in the process of packing the house to move and I probably won't put this to any good use until I relocate, but I'm happy to have added this to my mic locker.

https://i.imgur.com/mIEN4ff.jpg?2