The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Played an HD-28 with wild Indian Rosewood - Aaahhh (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534668)

Beakybird 01-14-2019 08:34 PM

Played an HD-28 with wild Indian Rosewood - Aaahhh

It just sounded more alive than my dread, deeper bass, the neck, while it had the same nut width, just felt like cream in my hands. Gorgeous overtones. The wood in back was absolutely exquisite. Anyway, maybe someday I'll be able to afford a used one. I wanted to get lost in the experience, but the salesman was standing over me and not going to leave me alone.

They happened to have a Fender PM-1 - a solid spruce/solid mahogany dreadnought made in China. I couldn't believe how light it felt. I was ready to get my mind blown, but on the first strum, it felt dead. Anticlimax.

Then I played a Taylor Academy series, and it sounded very bright and brash. IMO, it felt refined, but it sounded like a cheapie.

Maybe I'll save for a Martin. My friend convinced me to invest in prunes. He said I'll have a good run for my money.

Sloplay 01-14-2019 09:13 PM

Haha..."...run for the money." Have two Martin's, both are X-series, but both sound good, and they play smoothly. Would love to be able to get a "real" Martin someday. HD-28 would do!

martingitdave 01-14-2019 09:33 PM

Save for the Martin. It will be more special when you do finally get one. :-)

jkilgour2000 01-15-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5948746)
Then I played a Taylor Academy series, and it sounded very bright and brash. IMO, it felt refined, but it sounded like a cheapie.

You're comparing an Martin HD-28 to the Taylor entry level series of guitars? Seriously?

All this backhanded Taylor bashing as of late is getting annoying.

My Mom always said "If you don't have something nice to say...."

AndrewG 01-15-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 (Post 5949271)
You're comparing an Martin HD-28 to the Taylor entry level series of guitars? Seriously?

I fail to see how expressing an opinion based on experience is 'bashing'. Do we have to be complimentary about every guitar we encounter?

rokdog49 01-15-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5949276)
I fail to see how expressing an opinion based on experience is 'bashing'. Do we have to be complimentary about every guitar we encounter?

I kind of agree but...
It seems a silly comparison. Came off sounding like bashing to me as well even if it wasn't intended that way.

Like " I drove this Cadillac XT4. Wow! Smooth drive train...handled like a Porsche'. I also tried out a Nissan Rogue and a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
"They both seemed like toy vehicles to me."

drive-south 01-15-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 (Post 5949271)

Hes describing the guitars he played.

Tnfiddler 01-15-2019 02:16 PM

And here we go again!

DownUpDave 01-15-2019 02:36 PM

When one speaks to you a light bulb comes on and a choir of angels sing. It's like being smacked in the back of the head and being told to "wake up and smell the Martin".

You know it when you hear it. Save up for the Martin and you will not have to walk through life wondering what if.

Realbluesman 01-15-2019 03:01 PM

I guess my first take on this post is what is "wild Indian Rosewood"???

I hope the "prunes" are not wild!!!

Beakybird 01-15-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realbluesman (Post 5949415)
I guess my first take on this post is what is "wild Indian Rosewood"???

I hope the "prunes" are not wild!!!

I doubt there's a sonic difference with this "wild" rosewood, but it had an unusual, almost hypnotic pattern on the back of the guitar.

I don't know about the prunes. I stay away from them, actually. I have a genetic condition, and diarrhea runs in my family's jeans. :D

For those who are upset about me disparaging Taylor or comparing it to an expensive Martin ... I have complimented Taylor guitars in other threads. I played a $5000 V-braced Taylor 900 series that blew my socks off. I love the spruce-topped GS Mini as much as I love my Yamaha parlor that goes for the same price.

Many of the larger Taylor guitars that I have played have a similar sound signature to my Yamaha LL-TA which I think is a great guitar. I don't think the prestige of owning most Taylors would make me any happier.

For me, $800, the quoted price for the Taylor Academy, is a lot of $$. It costs more than I paid for my Yamaha dread, and it just didn't float my boat. If I were blindfolded, I would guess that it was an all laminate guitar. Just my opinion.

howard_c 01-15-2019 06:33 PM

Here’s a picture of Wild Grain Rosewood on my custom shop D-28.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...966976e8fc.jpg

McCawber 01-15-2019 06:58 PM

Wow - Howard_c - that is beautiful! Did you pick out the wood for the custom?

Beakybird 01-15-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard_c (Post 5949597)
Here’s a picture of Wild Grain Rosewood on my custom shop D-28.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...966976e8fc.jpg

Not the best picture. I see shadows. It looks even more stunning in "person."

howard_c 01-15-2019 07:30 PM

No I didn’t. I purchased the guitar from Tone Shop Guitars in Addison Texas. One of their guys was at the Martin factory in Nazareth and he picked the wood. Here’s a picture of the Adirondack top.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...36929a8c61.jpg