The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445364)

Burton LeGeyt 05-02-2017 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1 (Post 5326005)
Interesting. So, how will you manage the crossing strings? Wind some higher on the tuner posts than others?

None of them will cross if I understand you right- The paths are a little angled on the outer strings but not too much. Since I will be making the string shafts I can control exactly where the string will anchor. The easiest way to describe it is to show the design it is based off of- below is the Uchida headstock that was the inspiration:

He used a Rodgers Lacote style machine on that headstock. I'll be heavily modifying Waverly machines for this one. The buttons will look like pegs coming out of the back of the headstock and there will be decorative brass plates covering the tuners on the sides.

We really wanted some style of inline (like tuning pegs, on the original) tuner for this but I had no confidence in the 16:1 pegheads after handling a few. I worked for a while on a tuner with a miter gear that would have been close but wasn't confident enough of long term stability to use it here. What we worked up feels like a good compromise.

BrunoBlack 05-02-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5326069)
None of them will cross if I understand you right- The paths are a little angled on the outer strings but not too much. Since I will be making the string shafts I can control exactly where the string will anchor. The easiest way to describe it is to show the design it is based off of- here is the Uchida headstock that was the inspiration:

He used a Rodgers Lacote style machine on that headstock. I'll be heavily modifying Waverly machines for this one. The buttons will look like pegs coming out of the back of the headstock and there will be decorative brass plates covering the tuners on the sides.

We really wanted some style of inline (like tuning pegs, on the original) tuner for this but I had no confidence in the 16:1 pegheads after handling a few. I worked for a while on a tuner with a miter gear that would have been close but wasn't confident enough of long term stability to use it here. What we worked up feels like a good compromise.

That's pretty amazing Burton. I'm not sure I understand what the tuning machines will look like on the back of the headstock. Are they alternating/offset at all or are they perfectly in line? I guess I'm wondering on the tightness of the spacing between the knobs.

BTW, one of your buddies (I believe) Trevor Healy is building a 00 for me.

Burton LeGeyt 05-02-2017 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Paul,

Excellent choice on getting a guitar from Trevor! His work is great. I wish I got out there more to see what he is up to- For anyone else reading this we are talking about this talented guy:

http://healyguitars.com/

On the headstock- They will be staggered. If you look at the below picture you can see the little circles which correspond to the shaft the peg/button will attach to.

I'm still making the plates so I may be able to tighten up the whole thing (have the shafts closer together). I'll need to see where all the holes will fall. If I can shorten the head I think it would be a good thing, the guitar is tiny!

BrunoBlack 05-02-2017 09:47 AM

Ahhh, very cool. Thanks for elaborating.

jt1 05-02-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5326069)
None of them will cross if I understand you right- The paths are a little angled on the outer strings but not too much.

Ah, I get it. The drafting of what look (to me) holes for the tuner posts had me thinking that you weren't using slothead tuners.

Very elegant.

CoolerKing 05-03-2017 08:55 PM

Tuner work

Burton's been working on the tuners.

edited due to image hosting issues

Diamondave 05-03-2017 10:51 PM

Man, if you keep this up, you're gonna make my beloved guitar of yours just look like another simple everyday guitar...! :D

Ken Franklin 05-04-2017 01:03 AM

Burton's wearing that pencil out on this one.

Burton LeGeyt 05-04-2017 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Franklin (Post 5328173)
Burton's wearing that pencil out on this one.

You know it!

I've been remaking the bodies for some Waverly gear sets trying to get them lighter and fit better with this headstock design. Also, I'd like my own tuner design anyway, so this shape may be something I still use on standard headstocks too. One thing I love about 510's is that they completely fill the opening from both sides and the bushing locks to the tuner- It helps alleviate any mismatch or slop in that area. My version has an extension there and part of that will be visible in this guitar's headstock opening as a polished ring around the tuner shaft.

This is just the prototype- so not polished or even completely finished (and have a non-slothead shaft in place) but it does show the idea pretty well. I really like the small size and with the nylon bushings in there everything is smooth but tight. Once the imitation pegs are made and in place I think they will look really good.

Uncle Dude 05-04-2017 07:27 PM

Very interesting. As an architect, I really appreciate the detail and design going into this instrument.

Halcyon/Tinker 05-04-2017 07:41 PM

Your work is always very impressive.

nacluth 05-04-2017 07:58 PM

Great job Burton. Just let me know when I can send my check to get in on the ground floor of LeGeyt Tuners stock.

Burton LeGeyt 05-04-2017 08:42 PM

Thanks guys! Randy- I sent you a PM

Ryan, will do :) Can't wait for that day.

Ken Franklin 05-04-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5329123)
You know it!

I've been remaking the bodies for some Waverly gear sets trying to get them lighter and fit better with this headstock design. Also, I'd like my own tuner design anyway, so this shape may be something I still use on standard headstocks too. One thing I love about 510's is that they completely fill the opening from both sides and the bushing locks to the tuner- It helps alleviate any mismatch or slop in that area. My version has an extension there and part of that will be visible in this guitar's headstock opening as a polished ring around the tuner shaft.

This is just the prototype- so not polished or even completely finished (and have a non-slothead shaft in place) but it does show the idea pretty well. I really like the small size and with the nylon bushings in there everything is smooth but tight. Once the imitation pegs are made and in place I think they will look really good.

That's all really nice Burton but when am I going to get my ukulele tuners? Seriously, can't wait to see the finished headstock.

CoolerKing 05-05-2017 12:56 AM

I think it's really cool that a majority of posts in this thread are from fellow luthiers. :)