The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   To Know Love by Jimi Westbrook, Little Big Town (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496185)

Glennwillow 01-12-2018 06:44 PM

To Know Love by Jimi Westbrook, Little Big Town (cover)

This is my cover of Little Big Town's "To Know Love" written by Jimi Westbrook. This song is from one of their earlier albums called "A Place To Land."

To me a big part of Little Big Town's appeal is the vocal harmonies and so I felt I really needed to sing a harmony line to the chorus. Also, I added a 30-second lead guitar part similar to what they played on their recording.

The guitar is my Collings OM1ADB and the guitar solo is played with my Olson SJ.

Thanks a lot for listening! :)

- Glenn

PajamasMusic 01-12-2018 07:24 PM

Nice, nice picking technique, Glenn. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Glennwillow 01-12-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PajamasMusic (Post 5600769)
Nice, nice picking technique, Glenn. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Thank you Mark!

The picking pattern is the old familiar Travis pick. Glad you like this! Thanks so much for your comment and for watching, Mark!

- Glenn

Kerbie 01-13-2018 11:17 AM

Very nicely done, Glenn! I always like it when I get introduced here to tunes that I haven't heard. Beautifully done. I love the Collings sound and the solo section is excellent... very tasteful, as always. I wish the solo had been just a tad louder, but maybe it's just my lousy laptop speakers.

Excellent! I enjoyed it.

Glennwillow 01-13-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5601348)
Very nicely done, Glenn! I always like it when I get introduced here to tunes that I haven't heard. Beautifully done. I love the Collings sound and the solo section is excellent... very tasteful, as always. I wish the solo had been just a tad louder, but maybe it's just my lousy laptop speakers.

Excellent! I enjoyed it.

Hi Kerbie,

Thank you for listening and commenting!

You know, I originally had the guitar solo louder but when it was louder it was really peaky sounding, very edgy and hard on the ears. So I backed it off until it sounded more natural. I noticed that Little Big Town does not have that single line guitar solo up very loud on their recording, either, maybe for the same reason. Maybe it's just those particular notes that are a little hard on the ears if they are up too loud in the overall song. Or maybe not, and maybe I just did a lousy job of playing the solo. :D

I'm very glad you like this! :)

- Glenn

marty bradbury 01-13-2018 02:13 PM

Very nice Glenn. Sounded great!

Glennwillow 01-13-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty bradbury (Post 5601500)
Very nice Glenn. Sounded great!

Thank you Marty! I'm really glad you are listening! Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn

Looburst 01-14-2018 08:14 PM

Very nice, Glenn!

Glennwillow 01-14-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looburst (Post 5602908)
Very nice, Glenn!

Thank you, Perry! I am so glad you are listening! :)

- Glenn

Dustinfurlow 01-14-2018 10:21 PM

Loved that solo section and the audio quality you got going on. Good job!

Glennwillow 01-15-2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow (Post 5603020)
Loved that solo section and the audio quality you got going on. Good job!

Thank you so much, Dustin! It's so nice of you to listen and comment here!

- Glenn