The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hobbies besides music?.... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482767)

Bikewer 09-13-2017 07:44 AM

Although it's still "music" related, I build cigar-box guitars and similar instruments... I'm currently re-building a mandola I made several years ago.

Martial arts of various kinds.

Primitive weapons. I have built longbows, slings, atlatl, crossbow, etc. Even an "air gun" made from plumbing parts.

Trying to stay in shape at 70. I ride my bike and hit the gym twice a week.

Science fiction. Currently re-reading Gibson's "Neuromancer" for the umpteenth time. I understand they're working on a movie....

Shoreline Music 09-13-2017 07:50 AM

• Hanging out with my wife and kids
• Pinball
• Hiking

rmyAddison 09-13-2017 08:35 AM

My Lab(s)
4K home theater, HiFi music
Stock market, been in over 40 years, done very well

Sharing, volunteering, helping others, the older I get the more important it gets.....;)

TexasCowGrower 09-13-2017 08:48 AM

I shoot longbows, short guns and expensive cameras.

Dru Edwards 09-13-2017 09:06 AM

Not sure if this is considered a hobby but I enjoy taking a Saturday day trip around Nova Scotia about once a month. Visiting small fishing and farming communities.

The best spots are found on dirt roads.

PorkPieGuy 09-13-2017 09:36 AM

Weightlifting
Church
Helping kids with homework 5 nights a week
Listening to records

reeve21 09-13-2017 10:12 AM

Currently:

Hiking
The dog
The boat
Working on the boat!
Reading
Just hanging out with my wife and adult children and their families

Formerly:

Running
Basketball
Golf
Coaching the kids
Youth group with the kids

jpd 09-13-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gryf (Post 5474540)
Hello. I haven't been terribly active here, in the past, but with my recent retirement, I may be spending more time hereabouts.
Anyone else? Interesting collections or hobbies?

Congrats, welcome to the fraternity of retired GAS addicts:D I collect *Honey-Do* projects:guitar:

VTexan 09-13-2017 10:41 AM

I make Stained Glass

Lots of it over time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jadina...57606263856741

fatt-dad 09-13-2017 11:02 AM

play dough

I started quite young. . .

f-d

(while playing guitar, I've also learned mandolin, trumpet, French horn, crosswords in ink, the use of the Internet/computers, fixing cars, and building my profession. I happen to love geology (my job) so that's sort of like a hobby. I learned to play guitar (to limited abilities) quite young though. Me and my three chords. . .)

Gitfiddlemann 09-13-2017 11:05 AM

I try to stay fit through a number of activities I cycle through each week, like:
Lap Swimming, Running, Golfing, Walking and Yoga (I try to get a Yoga session in every day).
My wife and I are both animal lovers. Currently have 5 cats (4 from a shelter, 1 feral) and a horse.
I like to tackle as many house carpentry and fixit projects as I can, and have a friend as back-up who is a total pro at it, and has “rescued me” on a number of occasions. :) But I've learned a lot!
I like to target shoot, so I joined the local Rod & Gun club.
If time allows I love going to museums. Looking at art has a meditative effect on me. Totally relaxes me and is always a mood lift.
I was just recently appointed by the Board Of Selectmen of our town to the "Golf Course Committee", and we are tasked with helping transition the local golf club from private ownership to the Town. Strictly volunteer work, but should be interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 5474570)
Feral cat rescue

Respect!

Basalt Beach 09-13-2017 11:06 AM

we love both indoor and outdoor activities

Hiking
Windsurfing
Flat water Kayaking
Biking
Camping (3 season)

Cooking
Reading
Photography

We would like to work on becoming better home remodelers from doing intricate tile work to framing and finishing, including the plumbing and electrical. We are at an impasse on how to take on the bigger projects.

Jeremy 09-13-2017 11:19 AM

Reading
Running
Hiking
Skating
IT

dirkronk 09-13-2017 11:57 AM

Hi-fi, old school...turntables and such (listen/evaluate).
Classical music recordings (collect/listen/critique)...mainly analogue LP but also CD -- this has waned recently as I've increased interest in folk/songwriter genre.
Songwriting.
Etymology.
Comparative religion studies (esp. esoteric: Vedas, yoga, Sophia/perennial philosophy, Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosticism, et al.).
And the most time-intensive activity: my wife's honey-do list.

:D

Dirk

dirkronk 09-13-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 5474924)
I collect *Honey-Do* projects:guitar:

I posted before reading your comment. I am apparently your Texas alter ego.
:roll:

Dirk