The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Build Thread - Churchland Grand Western Adi/Rosewood (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593857)

SongwriterFan 01-04-2021 06:53 PM

I will have to drop in and play it sometime!

D. Churchland 01-06-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SongwriterFan (Post 6595736)
I will have to drop in and play it sometime!

The case is supposed to arrive this weekend. Want to stop by then?

TomB'sox 01-06-2021 08:26 PM

Congrats on another build done. Great job/!

D. Churchland 01-08-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6597620)
Congrats on another build done. Great job/!

Thanks Tom. Now I just have to decide what to do for the next one

SongwriterFan 01-09-2021 06:07 PM

Sounded as good as it looks! Thanks for letting me play it.

D. Churchland 01-10-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SongwriterFan (Post 6600170)
Sounded as good as it looks! Thanks for letting me play it.

Thanks to you for making time to come by and give it a try!

Feste 01-15-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Churchland (Post 6595514)

https://i.imgur.com/xJIstp6l.jpg

The rosette also turned out nice with the contrasting lines and variations.

Yes, it did.
I really like this simplistic, yet elegant style rosette.

D. Churchland 01-20-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feste (Post 6605739)
Yes, it did.
I really like this simplistic, yet elegant style rosette.

Thank you, that's become my favorite part of this one. I might do a similar one on the next build but maybe with a little different color variation.

dennisczech 01-22-2021 12:34 PM

So when are we going to hear it? I like the look of this instrument, as well as your approach to building with what you've got, very refreshing.

D. Churchland 01-27-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisczech (Post 6611590)
So when are we going to hear it? I like the look of this instrument, as well as your approach to building with what you've got, very refreshing.

I almost forgot to do that my apologies. I have a soundclip I shot when it was maybe 8-9 days old. It's with it's new owner now so unfortunately this is the only soundclip I have currently. I might ask him to bring it back sometime to record a new clip in the future.

To summarize the tone in person. It's a very mellow, warm and woody sounding guitar, the volume isn't what a dreadnought is (to be fair it's not a dreadnought) but the fundamentals are extremely strong and the high end has a lovely warmth and depth to it. The high B and E strings have very little zing or singeyness to them but retain a high amount of strength. This guitar is not a bluegrasser but you could definitely flatpick it and get some strong responses out of it. Shorter scale length keeps the playability high and helps to amplify the woodiness.

One of the things I wanted to try to capture was a "width" to the tone. It's very difficult to describe what a "wide" sounding guitar is but a good example is the type of sound that Tony Rice usually got out of his old Martin on alot of the old recordings.

The "width" I was going for is definitely there so that goal was accomplished. But it is still really new so it'll take a while for it to break in. Usually around the 2-3 month mark I've found guitars start to really develop their voice with a good bit of playing every day. Not sure how well the tone translates through youtube speakers but hopefully you get an idea of what I was going for with the video.

Edbuff 01-27-2021 11:24 PM

Sound clip is great. I really like the rosette, nice job

dennisczech 01-28-2021 04:35 AM

Very nice, you manage to capture some of the woody mellow tone via the soundclip, and the instrument sounds excellent. Very promising!

TomB'sox 01-28-2021 07:51 AM

Sounds really nice for sure!

D. Churchland 01-29-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6617626)
Sounds really nice for sure!

Thanks Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisczech (Post 6617539)
Very nice, you manage to capture some of the woody mellow tone via the soundclip, and the instrument sounds excellent. Very promising!

Thank you, I just hope that when my 4th is done it'll be an improvement. All things come with practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edbuff (Post 6617484)
Sound clip is great. I really like the rosette, nice job

Thank you, the rosette style I'll definitely continue.

Archaic Guitars 01-29-2021 10:06 AM

Sounds great!