The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MLB Playoffs 2018 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523587)

Dru Edwards 10-01-2018 11:11 AM

MLB Playoffs 2018

It's baseball playoff time. Two tiebreaker games today, although it's considered game 163 rather than the playoffs.

Who you rooting for? Go Red Sox!

Jim Owen 10-01-2018 12:04 PM

I'm in

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 5851539)
It's baseball playoff time. Two tiebreaker games today, although it's considered game 163 rather than the playoffs.

Who you rooting for? Go Red Sox!

Redsox, of course.

This has been quite a season for many teams. To have two game 163s is historic.

I don't have a lot of fond memories of game 163s.

Dr. Spivey 10-01-2018 02:50 PM

Brewers beat Cubs to take NL Central! We had the game on at work. The company profits probably dipped a bit. ;)

OneMansGuitar 10-01-2018 03:44 PM

I've gotta stay loyal to the Tribe, even though I am more an October baseball fan these days. It gets much more exciting when every game, every inning matters.

I would be happy to see the Cubs win the NL pennant, being one of the few who was obligated to root against them the year they finally won it all, to make the Tribe the team who has gone the longest without a Championship. :D

Larpy 10-01-2018 08:57 PM

I'm a Cubs fan, but I don't see them getting very far in the playoffs this year. Their offense is weirdly inconsistent. And relief pitching is, well, not playoffs-worthy.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

Mdinterman 10-02-2018 07:29 AM

Go Braves, but I fear it will be a short series.

marty bradbury 10-02-2018 08:01 AM

Going with the Brewers, Love to see new faces in the chase,

rokdog49 10-02-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larpy (Post 5851969)
I'm a Cubs fan, but I don't see them getting very far in the playoffs this year. Their offense is weirdly inconsistent. And relief pitching is, well, not playoffs-worthy.

Same scenario with the Indians and to make matters worse, Kluber has actually been "human" at times this year.

seeker 10-02-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larpy (Post 5851969)

My thoughts exactly. If everyone plays up to his abilities the Cubs have a chance...but I guess you could say that about most teams. I also fear that Christian Yelich's superb offensive performance has wrapped up the MVP over Javy Baez. I'd love to be wrong about that one too, though Yelich is an outstanding player and certainly deserves to be honored.

David M123 10-02-2018 02:20 PM

Red Sox finished with the undisputed best record in MLB this year, by a considerable margin.

But, they'll face the Yankees in the first round of playoffs. The Yanks are the #3 team in either league by a considerable margin and would have taken the Eastern Division in any normal year. Plus, they are an explosive team and could easily win the WS this year. If the Sox beat them...

They will likely face the Astros in the League Champion Series. The Astros are the #2 team in either league and are the defending World Series Champions.

The Sox trailed off a bit toward the end of the regular season. That may be partly due to them placing a higher priority on resting key players than on driving the win column. But still, they do have some weaknesses. Their bullpen has been a sore spot all season, and the offense has been strangely quiescent at times.

They'll need to really play their best to get past both the Yankees and the Astros. If they do that, the World Series itself may be something of an anticlimax.

Dru Edwards 10-02-2018 04:19 PM

Yankees going with Severino for the Wild Card game. I think I'd start Happ instead.

Cubs tonight! I'm in Chicago now but won't be heading to the game.

Jim Owen 10-02-2018 05:18 PM

Happ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 5852659)
Yankees going with Severino for the Wild Card game. I think I'd start Happ instead.

I suspect they’re saving Happ for game one against the Red Sox. But to get there, they gotta get past the As. I find the As pretty scary.

If it turns out Redsox/Yankees, at least neither team needs to pore over scouting reports. They played 19 games this season.

Scott O 10-02-2018 10:03 PM

Extra innings on a school night...zzzzz....cmon Rockies, finish them!

robj144 10-02-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M123 (Post 5852565)
Red Sox finished with the undisputed best record in MLB this year, by a considerable margin.

But, they'll face the Yankees in the first round of playoffs. The Yanks are the #3 team in either league by a considerable margin and would have taken the Eastern Division in any normal year. Plus, they are an explosive team and could easily win the WS this year. If the Sox beat them...

They will likely face the Astros in the League Champion Series. The Astros are the #2 team in either league and are the defending World Series Champions.

The Sox trailed off a bit toward the end of the regular season. That may be partly due to them placing a higher priority on resting key players than on driving the win column. But still, they do have some weaknesses. Their bullpen has been a sore spot all season, and the offense has been strangely quiescent at times.

They'll need to really play their best to get past both the Yankees and the Astros. If they do that, the World Series itself may be something of an anticlimax.

Huh? How do you know the Sox are definitely playing the Yanks? There's the wild card game tomorrow first.

David M123 10-02-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5852913)
Huh? How do you know the Sox are definitely playing the Yanks? There's the wild card game tomorrow first.

OK, I'm jumping the gun, but I think it's long odds that the Yanks will beat Oakland.