The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Netflix Will Hunt YOU Down! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534205)

Shoreline Music 01-10-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyhu (Post 5944360)
Isnít password sharing outside the members of your own household a violation of the user agreement?

4.2. The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.

You are correct.

If your account is streaming in 15 locations simultaneously, it doesn't take a fancy piece of software to realize you've shared your password.

Wadcutter 01-10-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreline Music (Post 5944399)
4.2. The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.

You are correct.

If your account is streaming in 15 locations simultaneously, it doesn't take a fancy piece of software to realize you've shared your password.

Well now you sure have a point there brother! 😂

KevWind 01-10-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5944412)
Well now you sure have a point there brother! ��

As I was reading this thread a song was coelessing in the back of my mind..
based on this
Quote:

"can be chased and identified by an algorithm"
(Think the chord progression from "Shelter from the storm)
Dogged and shadowed like the sleepy hollow moon
Algorithm found me , I was ended way to soon.

RustyAxe 01-10-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyhu (Post 5944360)
Isnít password sharing outside the members of your own household a violation of the user agreement?

Maybe ... but PROVE that the 2nd session isn't ME.

brad2001 01-10-2019 03:18 PM

I've had Netflix since forever and have pretty much always been happy with it. I do take exception with them when it comes to making mega deals on questionable material, Adam Sandler and 100 mil for Friends for instance. I didn't watch any of that drek the first time it came around and don't care to pay for any more of it. Oh well.

DenverSteve 01-10-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5944099)
With Netflix though, you can only stream so many devices at the same time depending on the plan. So, I don't understand the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5944295)
.. Everyone has Netflix on multiple devices which are seldom in the same location. So, again, I don't see any problem.

Well the big deal is that cheating. Cheating is stealing in this case. When lots of people do it, it is very costly to the entity that is selling streaming subscriptions. So, the problem is theft of property that is supposed to be rented. No it doesn't matter where you stream from as I do it when I travel and therefore am doing it from multiple locations - from one computer. Where isn't the issue, neither would be multiple people with the same account, but sharing the account (same as running a splitter from your neighbor's house to steal cable tv) is theft.

robj144 01-10-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 5944512)
Well the big deal is that cheating. Cheating is stealing in this case. When lots of people do it, it is very costly to the entity that is selling streaming subscriptions. So, the problem is theft of property that is supposed to be rented. No it doesn't matter where you stream from as I do it when I travel and therefore am doing it from multiple locations - from one computer. Where isn't the issue, neither would be multiple people with the same account, but sharing the account (same as running a splitter from your neighbor's house to steal cable tv) is theft.

I guess I might be being not clear. What I mean is how can they possibly tell which is which? Also, this is the reason why there are limits as to how many devices that can stream simultaneously... to prevent theft.

robj144 01-10-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreline Music (Post 5944399)

You are correct.

But you can't stream 15 locations at once with Netflix.

DenverSteve 01-10-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5944536)
I guess I might be being not clear. What I mean is how can they possibly tell which is which? Also, this is the reason why there are limits as to how many devices that can stream simultaneously... to prevent theft.

I can't say but I would say that the best reason to limit how many devices can stream at a time would be to control bandwidth. They need to know/control how many subscriptions x users to know how much bandwidth to have available. That cost's money.

Wadcutter 01-10-2019 04:29 PM

Isnít this kinda like me buying a six pack at the store and the checkout clerk then tells me I canít share it with anyone else?

DenverSteve 01-10-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5944575)
Isnít this kinda like me buying a six pack at the store and the checkout clerk then tells me I canít share it with anyone else?

Not at all. You didn't purchase, or own, anything. You rented it for a time. The ownership, and therefore the right to set usage, remains with the owner.

KevWind 01-10-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5944575)
Isn’t this kinda like me buying a six pack at the store and the checkout clerk then tells me I can’t share it with anyone else?

No if it's a 6 pack of soft drinks then your simply helping to spread unhealthy drinking habits, :D

But if it's a 6 pack of beer, then it's like the clerk saying it's illegal to give it to minors

Wadcutter 01-10-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 5944594)
Not at all. You didn't purchase, or own, anything. You rented it for a time. The ownership, and therefore the right to set usage, remains with the owner.

OK Steve, probably a bad analogy, but it was the only one I could think of at the moment. 🤪

Blueser100 01-10-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadcutter (Post 5944110)
According to Netflix, "the number of users that can stream at the same time will depend on your Netflix plan," those who pass on their credentials unlawfully can be chased and identified by an algorithm used by the software company.

Apparently Millennials are the major offenders. Netflix suspects at least 26% of Millennials are sharing passwords in violation of Netflix rules. How they would know that is beyond me.

Hmmm. Kinda reminds me of the Napster illegal downloading outrage of years ago.

Wadcutter 01-10-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueser100 (Post 5944740)
Hmmm. Kinda reminds me of the Napster illegal downloading outrage of years ago.

Whatever happened to Napster? Is that still around. Man I remember when that was all the rage.