The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Do You Change Lyrics? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518071)

Mr. Jelly 08-09-2018 01:22 PM

Do You Change Lyrics?

Strolling on the boulevards in Paris
Naked as the day I will die
The sailors, they're so charming in Paris
But I just don't seem to sail you off my mind

Do you change lyrics of songs? There are allot of good sounding songs that I just can not put across because of some of the lyrics. The above line I won't do standing in front of an audience on stage. It's not me and it would suck the life out of the presentation. Even if I were playing this song in a honky tonk in Memphis it would cause me problems. ;)

Judson 08-09-2018 01:48 PM

No ...

I'd like to do "Elephant" by Jason Isbell, it's a wonderful song that I listen to all the time, but I won't perform it because I'm not comfortable singing some of the more personal lyrics.

I will not consciously change another artist's lyrics to suit myself.

And especially, I will not change gender specific lyrics like "Angel from Montgomery" by John Prine ... I sing it just like it's written.

posternutbag 08-09-2018 01:51 PM

Sure. All the time. I often have songs where I want to change one or two lines. If I perform them, I go out of my way to attribute the song to the original recording or song writer, but I call it "an interpretation."

dieselman96 08-09-2018 02:15 PM

I change them. One specifically is "Tennessee Flat-Top Box". My son plays the lead break but he is a tow-head, can't sing "little dark-haired boy". . .

jdambrosemusic 08-09-2018 02:19 PM

I change lyrics all the time when its not written for my perspective or it would disconnect the message from the experience someone is getting looking at me performing it.

He to She perspective stuff is pretty normal to change depending on who you are.

Sing your truth man.

semolinapilcher 08-09-2018 02:35 PM

Sure! Usually in the moment and for comedic effect.

My favorite ever was many years ago when my lead guitar buddy was totally owning Stray Cat Strut in a pretty raucous bar gig:

... and I got cat class and I got cat style...

became

... and I got cat class, and style, as well...

Unbelievably funny, although I guess you had to be there.

Dog Shape Cloud 08-09-2018 02:47 PM

Not all the time, but often enough. Sometimes changing a word or line can make something truer to my experience, or I'll prefer it aesthetically.

I don't understand why modifying someone else's song for your own performance would be problematic, unless you're actually stealing it and calling it your own. I think I'd lose a lot of respect for any artist I heard was offended by something like that (i.e., aside from being offended by someone covering their work without permission to begin with--a different question, though also kind of a dumb thing to get mad about, as long as they're credited--and likewise aside from monetizing and distributing a recording of one of their songs, lyrics changed or unchanged, which I'd see as a much more valid concern).

On the other hand, I usually won't make any changes if it's just a matter of gender-specific stuff, especially when it breaks up the flow of the line, which it often does.

brad2001 08-09-2018 02:51 PM

A short lived bar band I joined to do rhythm guitar and vocals covered Eddie Moneys' "Two Tickets to Paradise" and having heard the misinterpreted "I've got two chickens to paralyze, won't you pack a bag of leaves tonight" somewhere, I sang it as such and am pretty sure no one noticed. Always liked that song.

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado mod

Moocheng 08-09-2018 02:55 PM

someone found this in another forum,

" I laid an egggggg down in Arrrr -Africa "

3notes 08-09-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judson (Post 5805264)
No ...

I'd like to do "Elephant" by Jason Isbell, it's a wonderful song that I listen to all the time, but I won't perform it because I'm not comfortable singing some of the more personal lyrics.

I will not consciously change another artist's lyrics to suit myself.

And especially, I will not change gender specific lyrics like "Angel from Montgomery" by John Prine ... I sing it just like it's written.

This^^^^^^^^

Um, no, don't change the lyrics to suit yourself. To me, that's a big no no. And I don't play out at all. If I did, same would hold true.

I see here some do. Shame on you. And what about the audience as they sing along. They could have a "light goes on moment" and think you got it right and they had it wrong.

Ya, no. Never change the lyrics.

Denny B 08-09-2018 03:07 PM

If I were a songwriter, I'd write and sing lyrics to please myself...

But since I'm not blessed with that talent, and I don't bother to learn songs that don't speak to me personally in some manner, I'll just continue to sing 'em the way the gifted songwriters wrote 'em… :guitar:

jfitz81 08-09-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3notes (Post 5805324)
This^^^^^^^^

Um, no, don't change the lyrics to suit yourself. To me, that's a big no no. And I don't play out at all. If I did, same would hold true.

I see here some do. Shame on you. And what about the audience as they sing along. They could have a "light goes on moment" and think you got it right and they had it wrong.

I've heard enough artists over the years change the lyrics to their own songs to know that almost nobody would think this is a big deal, or even a "no no" at all. That kind of attitude kinda makes me wanna go change some lyrics just for the sake of ROCK'N'ROLL.

Scootch 08-09-2018 03:13 PM

I do folk songs and a lot of them have lots of lyrics depending on the player. So I might reorder the lyrics to make better order. I just did that to WHITEHOUSE BLUES by Charlie Poole to make the more linear and more a story.

Or take some lyrics from doc Watson and add a few lyrics from Howling Wolf from Sitting On Top Of The World. Just to make it a little longer. I use Docs chords.

posternutbag 08-09-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3notes (Post 5805324)
This^^^^^^^^

What about changing the key of a song to better fit your voice? Is that "a big no no"?

What about changing a melody note that is either too high or too low for your voice to a harmonized note? Is that verboten?

Will you allow me to rephrase a melody?

What if I don't play the solo or break just like it sounds on the record? That must be a terrible offense, no?

The idea that lyrics are somehow sacrosanct is absurd.

People change songs to fit their own ideas about what a song should sound like. Did Hendrix offend your sensibilities when he almost completely re-wrote All Along The Watchtower, or is that OK because the lyrics were more or less the same?

If you cover a song, play it the way you want to, but give credit to the original artist.

Nymuso 08-09-2018 03:39 PM

Of course.

I do not identify any changes, explain or make any apologies for them. I just do it and move on.