The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Fairytale of New York - original arrangement (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601676)

Gtrfinger 12-21-2020 01:52 PM

Fairytale of New York - original arrangement

Merry Christmas everyone, I know, it's been a very strange, and for a lot of people, very harrowing year, but I'm hoping this tune will put a smile on someone's face.

I wrote a fair bit in the description in the YouTube link but just to keep it short, this takes me right back to the very late 80's, when I had started going out with my mates too the pub most weekends. This song, of all songs, takes me right back there, to some of the best Christmases in my life.

It's also the quickest I've ever arranged a tune, only took 2 days, and then maybe a couple of tweaks.

Hope you like this version, it's a duet of sorts, with the nylon taking the female parts ....ish. That was the plan anyway.

fitness1 12-22-2020 06:06 AM

Enjoyed that -- really nice playing and entertaining video! Guitars sound great!

Gtrfinger 01-03-2021 06:19 AM

Sorry, I've been taking an internet break over the Christmas period and just didn't see this. Really glad you liked it.
I've just worked out how to export my tab as a PDF so if anyone wants a copy, well by my reckoning we're still on the 10th day of Christmas, so just let me know.

rémy64 01-08-2021 06:10 AM

Very pretty piece, very well interpreted of course

Dustinfurlow 01-08-2021 02:52 PM

Very nice tune..lingers after the ending. Great job here.

FreeRangeTrout 01-08-2021 03:04 PM

That's a fine arrangement and well understated playing that fits the tune. I quite enjoyed that.

The video was clever as well, I liked the smiles. Thanks for posting it.

of course, the original song is beyond brilliant.

emtsteve 01-08-2021 09:25 PM

Love it - my favorite Christmas song (to my wife's never ending horror). Well done!

Gtrfinger 01-10-2021 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rémy64 (Post 6598635)
Very pretty piece, very well interpreted of course

I'm glad you liked my interpretation; I tried to keep this as close to the original as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow (Post 6599065)
Very nice tune..lingers after the ending. Great job here.

Thanks a lot man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRangeTrout (Post 6599083)
That's a fine arrangement and well understated playing that fits the tune. I quite enjoyed that.

The video was clever as well, I liked the smiles. Thanks for posting it.

of course, the original song is beyond brilliant.

-it's a hard one *not* to smile to. Cheers 👍

Quote:

Originally Posted by emtsteve (Post 6599347)
Love it - my favorite Christmas song (to my wife's never ending horror). Well done!

It was my partner who suggested it; if not for her I wouldn't have realised how well the tune carries the piece in the absence of such brilliant lyrics. Thanks a lot.

TBman 01-10-2021 09:45 AM

Nice, I enjoyed that!

SprintBob 01-10-2021 11:09 PM

That was cool and clever as well as wonderful playing by the duet!

MikeB1 01-11-2021 11:01 AM

Greetings from New York…!!!

I loved it!

You guys play really well together.

I would love to try to play it if you would be so kind to send the music.

Thank you!!

Gtrfinger 01-12-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB1 (Post 6601634)
I loved it!

You guys play really well together.

I would love to try to play it if you would be so kind to send the music.

Thank you!!

I think we'd have a hard time playing it live !

Message me your email, and I'll forward you my arrangement. I don't seem to be able to attach PDF's in the messaging section of this site.