The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   A little something to brighten your day... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622099)

Steve DeRosa 07-29-2021 08:20 PM

A little something to brighten your day...

Yeah, it's a shameless product promo, but this is just cool beyond words - right down to the authentic 1920's period-furnished NYC brownstone parlor:

Adrien Chevalier, violin
Vinny Raniolo and Vinny Valentino, guitars

pickinray 07-29-2021 08:26 PM

Very cool! Those cats can really play!

FrankHudson 07-30-2021 09:53 AM

I can't hack that kind of playing with my own hands/brain, even badly, but it sure was nice to see/hear that trio do it.

I've always loved that comping style. Done right I don't miss drums in a combo at all.

skypeace 07-30-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 6774857)

Adrien Chevalier, violin
Vinny Raniolo and Vinny Valentino, guitars

Guitars! :guitar: What guitars? That was all fiddle and he did the diddle.:cool:

Glennwillow 07-31-2021 07:29 PM

Dang,

That was very cool! What a great promo video! What fun!

- Glenn

SpruceTop 08-01-2021 07:08 AM

Wonderful Playing & Setting!

Fretboard Phil 08-02-2021 03:51 AM

They nailed that one! Thanks for posting.

icuker 08-10-2021 07:40 PM

Vinny plays in a couple of bands that I like to follow. Great musician. Never heard of the other guy but he's great too, and that violin, nuff said....

RJVB 11-21-2021 02:11 PM

FWIW, period/authentic 1920s would mean playing purely acoustically, right?

Steve DeRosa 11-21-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJVB (Post 6861373)
FWIW, period/authentic 1920s would mean playing purely acoustically, right?

- and without a modern recording microphone clearly visible in front of the violin, but these guys have enough taste (and chops) to fine-tune the amplified contribution so that it sounds natural and airy (as opposed to the "thud-&-mud" often associated with "jazz guitar" during the Bop era), adding just enough low-end weight that you don't need an upright bass; IMO the performance was of a quality that I think Messrs. Reinhardt and Grappelli would heartily approve - and since Django would himself employ electric instruments in later years, I fail to see the problem...

RJVB 11-22-2021 05:49 AM

As you said, his later years ;)

I think my post didn't come across as intended.

I was merely pointing out (aka inquiring about) something that I couldn't help noticing as a former early music performer. The only actual problem I have with this is that it doesn't allow me to get an independent and objective idea of what the instruments sound like (and by that I mean their acoustic voice, not what comes out of a processing chain) and how they match up to the violin.

Of course I didn't mention the recording equipement, that's the inevitable anachronistic part required for any recording. For which I assume that the sound techs (and the musicians themselves) always aim to get the most representative rendition of the sound a live audience would hear. (That said, I'd have appreciated this even more if it had been recorded through a single binaural mike set-up.)

And I certainly wasn't implying anything about the musical performance itself. I'm not the biggest Grappelli fan (nor is this what I prefer to hear on violin) but I wouldn't have had trouble believing it was him playing.

Borderdon 11-22-2021 11:49 AM

On top of some great music, exquisitely played, they really nailed the nostalgic/art deco vibe.
Great promo !

leew3 11-22-2021 03:05 PM

Great playing. Thanks for sharing it. When I listen to something like this I recall that I can play all those notes-just not in that order at that speed!

jricc 11-22-2021 04:03 PM

Love this! Thanks for sharing Steve.

srick 11-22-2021 04:37 PM

Makes me want to go out and buy one! I wish I could buy some talent too.

Rick