The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Shadows (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648555)

Coler 06-22-2022 02:17 AM

Shadows

I had this song buzzing around in my head for a long time and finally wrote down words that I was happy with. Not exactly edgy stuff and thanks for listening. I thought it was going to be a "heavy" number but it skips along...

It comes from this picture of me and my oldest boy a few years ago:
https://i.imgur.com/Cng1OH8.jpg

Glennwillow 06-22-2022 09:01 AM

Very nice, Coler! That's a great photo! I can see where it inspired you to write a song! :guitar:

- Glenn

ReneAsologuitar 06-22-2022 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Coler;7027934]I had this song buzzing around in my head for a long time and finally wrote down words that I was happy with. Not exactly edgy stuff and thanks for listening. I thought it was going to be a "heavy" number but it skips along...
Hi Coler,
Thanks for the beautiful guitar music.
I agree with Glenn, beautiful picture of you and your son.
Very inspiring work, you have here!!!
And there recording is of high quality, vocals are always great!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

MikeMcKee 06-22-2022 10:13 AM

That was lovely Coler. Actually listened a couple times. Something really beautiful in your originals as they come from your experiences and are delivered with such authenticity. Thought the tune and the lyrics were both very well done. Moving from shadows to echos to waves and a first kiss...well done. Your vocals really hit a sweet spot for me...very easy and pleasant to listen to.

Only critique I'd make would be to maybe repeat the first verse at the end to bring it full circle...but that's just an opinion. Really well done, thanks.

Coler 06-23-2022 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 7028092)
Very nice, Coler! That's a great photo! I can see where it inspired you to write a song! :guitar:

- Glenn

Thank you again Glenn, for having a listen. I'm really pleased you liked it.

I can remember exactly where I was when I took that photograph (on a road in Noirmoutier, France, on our way down to the beach). I can still feel the sun on us and the smell of the sea in my nose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar (Post 7028154)
[
Hi Coler,
Thanks for the beautiful guitar music.
I agree with Glenn, beautiful picture of you and your son.
Very inspiring work, you have here!!!
And there recording is of high quality, vocals are always great!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

Thanks Rene - very kind of you to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMcKee (Post 7028172)
That was lovely Coler. Actually listened a couple times. Something really beautiful in your originals as they come from your experiences and are delivered with such authenticity. Thought the tune and the lyrics were both very well done. Moving from shadows to echos to waves and a first kiss...well done. Your vocals really hit a sweet spot for me...very easy and pleasant to listen to.

Only critique I'd make would be to maybe repeat the first verse at the end to bring it full circle...but that's just an opinion. Really well done, thanks.

Mike, thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to critique - I totally agree with you it needs something to round it out at the end.

I think maybe play the first part of the verse as an instrumental and then sing the second half of the first verse.

I have a friend I play with quite a lot and I'll be asking him to put some fiddle on it so this would leave a nice space for him.

Thanks again Mike.

Mandobart 06-23-2022 07:31 PM

The very first thing that popped into my head when I read "shadows" was "Lake Marie" by John Prine....

I really like the picture.

Coler 06-28-2022 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandobart (Post 7029098)
The very first thing that popped into my head when I read "shadows" was "Lake Marie" by John Prine....

I really like the picture.

Thanks for listening :)