The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Super Bowl LIV (...and then there were two) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570399)

Dru Edwards 01-25-2020 12:20 PM

Super Bowl LIV (...and then there were two)

Super Bowl LIV (54). San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs.

Predictions? Story Lines?

jpd 01-25-2020 12:26 PM

Predictions? Story Lines?

Jimmy G comes out firing the ball to everybody. Mahomes comes out firing the ball to everybody. The scoreboard runs out of numbers before the first half. The half time show is awful. The second half finds both teams running the ball and with 23 seconds left, Butker's 55 yard attempt is blocked and returned to the K.C. 25 where Gould wins it.:p

golfreggie 01-25-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 6275457)
Jimmy G comes out firing the ball to everybody. Mahomes comes out firing the ball to everybody. The scoreboard runs out of numbers before the first half. The half time show is awful. The second half finds both teams running the ball and with 23 seconds left, Butker's 55 yard attempt is blocked and returned to the K.C. 25 where Gould wins it.:p

Liked your "prediction" except for the end. Lifelong Chiefs fan here, and of course I deeply desire a KC win, but regardless, this may be one of the best Super Bowls ever, and redemption for Andy Reid, this Super Bowl win for him cements his HOF reality for the future. Watch out for Mecole Hardman and a kickoff return of significance today. :)

JCave 01-25-2020 12:37 PM

Both great teams. While I'm a long time 49's fan, I hope KC wins. :D They're surprising everybody this year and they've earned it.

SoCalSurf 01-25-2020 12:47 PM

Gotta go with the Niners. Mahomes is the best player on the field but I think the totality of the 49ers run game and defensive front wins it.

FWIW, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. My father and I used to go to games at Candlestick Park when it was possible to show up, buy a ticket, and sit virtually anywhere in the stadium. This was during the 1970s when the team was awful. I remember sitting behind the 49ers benches in the lower seats and being able to hear the players talking to each other.

Enter Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott et al., and we could no longer afford tickets to games. But I remained loyal for life. What a fun time to be a young boy and have a hometown team dominate throughout elementary, middle, and high school, much like young adult Patriots fans have experienced in this generation.

I'll be hosting a Super Bowl party and will have all of my old 49er memorabilia on display.

robj144 01-25-2020 01:00 PM

My prediction: If the Niner's Dline plays well (like they normally do) and pressures Mahomes, it will be close the whole way and into the fourth quarter. Then Reid will do something stupid and cost KC the game.

If the Niner's Dline doesn't play well, Mahomes will do his thing and not allow Reid to mess up the game. It'll be a blowout.

So, I either see a close game where KC blows it at the end, or a KC blowout. Predictions can make you like an idiot in hindsight, but I don't think the Niners will win in a blow out or KC will win a close game.

Dru Edwards 01-25-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCave (Post 6275468)
Both great teams. While I'm a long time 49's fan, I hope KC wins. :D They're surprising everybody this year and they've earned it.

You're a 49ers fan but you're rooting for your team to lose?

raysachs 01-25-2020 02:07 PM

I want KC to win - I'd like to see Andy get one (or two or three) before he's done. And their offense is so potent it could happen. But San Francisco is so strong in every aspect of the game that if I was a betting man, I'd have to bet on them.

The good news is I like both teams and will enjoy the game a lot no matter who wins. There's one team not there I'd have to be rooting for (and risking heartbreak if they lost) and three teams not there I'd be pulling hard against and bumming out if they won. So this is all a win win. And it might be a great game - never know...

-Ray

M19 01-25-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6275544)
I want KC to win - I'd like to see Andy get one (or two or three) before he's done.

That's what I said for Bud Grant the final three tries in the 70's. Didn't do it. Still in the HOF, so I think Andy will too, regardless.

TBman 01-25-2020 03:23 PM

Not a follower of either team, (Packer backer).

My football common sense says the 49er's will blow out the Chiefs.

I've been wrong before though, :D

JCave 01-25-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6275511)
You're a 49ers fan but you're rooting for your team to lose?

I'm torn..... ;)

AmericanEagle 01-25-2020 05:13 PM

Patriots!
Just kidding. I think the Chiefs will win a close game.

Borderdon 01-25-2020 05:15 PM

No dog in the fight, but KC likely wins it.
- Mahomes on the field enough to eventually wear down SF’s D.

raysachs 01-25-2020 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanEagle (Post 6275687)
Patriots!

I still have this nagging thought that the Patriots are gonna find a way to pull this one out...

1neeto 01-25-2020 08:04 PM

This game will be won by coaching and whatever defense shows up. 49rs have a killer zone defense, and a decent pass rush, and that’s gonna force Mahomes to do on the move passes or rush for yards. Jimmy G will do his thing and prove everyone wrong once again. 32-27 49rs.

After the 49rs win, Belichick will call in his favor, and the Patriots will get Nick Mullens.

Cypress Knee 01-26-2020 02:15 AM

Baltimore Ravens fan here, and Terrell Suggs will be the difference maker. Not on stats, but as on on the field coach - he knows what will be coming and what needs to be done to stop it. After that, it is just a matter of who executes their individual jobs the best - the offense or the defense.

His stat line won't show it, but Sugg's contributions will permit the KC defense to play lights out against San Fran - so I am taking KC over SF straight up without the spread.

Dru Edwards 01-26-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 6275505)
My prediction: If the Niner's Dline plays well (like they normally do) and pressures Mahomes, it will be close the whole way and into the fourth quarter. Then Reid will do something stupid and cost KC the game.

If the Niner's Dline doesn't play well, Mahomes will do his thing and not allow Reid to mess up the game. It'll be a blowout.

So, I either see a close game where KC blows it at the end, or a KC blowout. Predictions can make you like an idiot in hindsight, but I don't think the Niners will win in a blow out or KC will win a close game.

Thinking we might see another Pete Carroll "pass rather than run" INT play in the final minute + again? I don't think I screamed so loud in excitement at my tv since that play.

Jobe 01-27-2020 02:36 AM

Mahomes can be off early in a game. Just off sync. But he will come around if you let him. He seems to get better as the game goes along. SF defense will always have to be aware. He is talented. Points when and where matter. I don't see a blowout. SF playing from behind could posit a different story. Jimmy ain't Mahomes. Limit mistakes and penalties. No turnovers will be key. SF wins but it will take the whole team to pull it off.

Neil K Walk 01-27-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanEagle (Post 6275687)
Patriots!

LOL! Keep hope alive!

Vegas agrees with you on the Chiefs. I also still feel like Reid is due.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6275734)
I still have this nagging thought that the Patriots are gonna find a way to pull this one out...

Personally, I think Brady is purposely keeping quiet about his plans for next season until after the "big game" (as the sports betting venues are calling it) is over and done with.

Huskyman 01-29-2020 11:45 PM

Long time Niner fan and I feel like I felt for the 84 season when the Niners met the Dolphins in the SB. Marino was a rookie and had a great year and I secretly thought we would get killed but we pretty much blew them out. Mahomes is probably better than Marino though. I want to win, I hope we win but I honestly feel at this point in time I would rather face Brady.

1neeto 01-29-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt (Post 6279336)
Long time Niner fan and I feel like I felt for the 84 season when the Niners met the Dolphins in the SB. Marino was a rookie and had a great year and I secretly thought we would get killed but we pretty much blew them out. Mahomes is probably better than Marino though. I want to win, I hope we win but I honestly feel at this point in time I would rather face Brady.

Mahomes runs when he sees zone defense. 49rs have a great zone defense and that’s gonna keep Mahomes from confidently throwing the ball.

rmp 01-30-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 6275734)

ha! I know right!! Seriously Ray, that's the best post yet. Still chuckling..

Gitfiddlemann 01-30-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt (Post 6279336)

You have to admit, that 84 team was a pretty sensational squad, with the likes of Montana, Clark and Tyler, Ronnie Lott on defense. Great coaches (Walsh and Seifert). Both Offense and Defense were at or near the top of the heap in the league. It wasn't a fluke that those (overly hyped up) Dolphins got lured into a big net and served up for dinner. :)

I'm just a neutral observer this year, but I would take that 84 squad over this year's team to go up against the Chiefs.
That said, if I were to bet on this game, I would still pick the 49ers and just hope and pray their D shows up in tip top shape. As we've seen, they are going up against a team that can turn a losing blowout into a runaway win. And quickly. That was some kind of performance against the Texans. Never seen anything like it.
I'm actually looking forward to watching the game. For once, I can just relax and enjoy the action. :up:

DCCougar 01-30-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 6275457)
...The half time show is awful...

Haha. I remember watching the halftime show many years ago when McCartney did the gig. I'm no McCartney fan, but.... wait a minute! I recognize that guy playing with him! I used to be in a band with that guy! He was all guitar, all the time. Great guy, and man could he play. Kudos to Brian Ray!

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d05...t=800&fit=crop
[Couldn't find a shot from that Superbowl]

robj144 01-30-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6276277)
Thinking we might see another Pete Carroll "pass rather than run" INT play in the final minute + again? I don't think I screamed so loud in excitement at my tv since that play.

No, I see mismanaging time as he usually does. Like he'll burn a timeout at the start of the second half that'll be crucial late in the game.

1neeto 01-31-2020 12:01 AM

The super bowl will be shot in 4K for the first time ever. Don’t expect 4K broadcast from you cable provider though. Look for streaming services.

Jobe 02-01-2020 12:48 AM

I can't wait to see how each defense schemes this game upfront. What if KC stacks the defensive line to stop the run and SF runs quick slants or screens in the beginning. That I think would be unexpected. Any adjustments would open up the SF running game. A real clock burner and chain mover. KC will score points on any defense. But it is a matter of who has ball possession, how much time they burn and who can convert on key opportunities. Game planning is going to be interesting. If you expect this we will give you that. Naturally, it will take some gutsy game calling on both sides. Andy? What are you gonna do? I will watch this one!

golfreggie 02-01-2020 01:12 PM

I have been watching some of the football shows and it appears that there are just as many pundits picking either team! The one common denominator is they all seem to believe that this will be very memorable and explosive game. I am of course nervous for the Chiefs, my home town team, having been 50 years since the city had their team in the big game!. I was 20 years old when the Chiefs beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV and am so excited for what I see as a great team with a super chance to be Super Bowl Champs! Turnovers, if there are any, will sway this outcome. I hope the refs are not looking to throw lots of flags, just the ones that are in no way questionable. I would love to not have any instant replays for penalties. If penalties are at a minimum this could go down as one of the most exciting well played Super Bowls in, oh well, 54 years!! Also, Tyrann Mathieu gets one really big game changer in the game

Neil K Walk 02-01-2020 01:56 PM

This is kind of OT, but why are most commercials are avoiding on calling it the Super Bowl and instead calling it just "The Big Game?"

Is it a gambling thing? I thought the Big Game in Vegas was called "craps?"

Dru Edwards 02-01-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil K Walk (Post 6281414)
This is kind of OT, but why are most commercials are avoiding on calling it the Super Bowl and instead calling it just "The Big Game?"

Is it a gambling thing? I thought the Big Game in Vegas was called "craps?"

"Super Bowl" is trademarked, guessing that is why. Same with radio commercials. I'm glad the the NHL refers to the Stanley Cup as that and not "the ice game".