The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I wonder about some threads from new posters ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539837)

Tony Burns 03-03-2019 10:13 AM

I wonder about some threads from new posters ?

I see allot of posts in different places on this forum where a new or newish
poster asks some question - and never responds after that.
Wondering if this isnt a plant to drive up interest - and the silly thing is
why do we bother with some of these very stupid questions .
( no this post isnt one of those )

fazool 03-03-2019 10:42 AM

While I understand we want to be welcoming to all members but I, too, wonder sometimes.

I will start looking at a thread and find it is twelves years old and, lo and behold, EVERY time it's someone with a post count of like two or three, responding in earnest to some decade old zombie thread.

There has to be some reason new members keep finding these old threads. I , literally, couldn't find one of these ancient threads if I tried. I have no idea how they stumble across these obsolete discussions.

I wish the age of posts was more prominent.

tbeltrans 03-03-2019 11:13 AM

One possibility is that folks google about some subject and an old thread pops up. Is it possible that a person could respond to that thread, not checking its age?

Tony

Shuksan 03-03-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeltrans (Post 5995889)
One possibility is that folks google about some subject and an old thread pops up. Is it possible that a person could respond to that thread, not checking its age?

Tony

I think this is a good possibility. Just yesterday, I googled "moon spruce" and the third hit on the Google list was an AGF thread from 2011. The "Post Reply" button is prominently located right there at the bottom of the thread.

The Growler 03-03-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Tony

I agree with Shuksan. This is very likely.

Mandobart 03-03-2019 05:10 PM

I don't understand how this huge archive exists of asked and answered questions, available to anyone not too lazy to search, and yet 90% of the posts on AGF contain one of the following questions that already have numerous threads:
1. What guitar should I get?
2. What amp should I get?
3. Should I keep my guitar in a case or hang on the wall?
4. Should I humidify my guitar?
5. What pickup should I get?
6. Why do I have trouble with barre chords?
7. What songs should I play?
8. What woods make the best tonewoods?
9. Should I buy another guitar?
10. What strings should I get?

chistrummer 03-03-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Burns (Post 5995802)
I see allot of posts in different places on this forum where a new or newish
poster asks some question - and never responds after that.
Wondering if this isnt a plant to drive up interest - and the silly thing is
why do we bother with some of these very stupid questions .
( no this post isnt one of those )

Yep, makes sense.

Quote:

Tony

Tony Burns is not talking about zombie threads being bumped he's talking about someone joining the forum for the sole purpose of stating a thread then nothing.

Nymuso 03-03-2019 05:19 PM

So, are you suggesting that the new posters might not be newbies, but made up identities by someone for the purpose of stirring up activity here?

Kerbie 03-03-2019 05:59 PM

Tony, you've been here 13 years... you've probably seen all the questions and heard all the answers. :lol:

But the new folks haven't. So, if you think somebody is asking a silly question, just move on. This is a conversational forum. The same questions get asked and asked again. If anybody thinks a new member is trying to stir up trouble, report the post with the little red triangle in the upper right corner.

The Kid! 03-03-2019 06:06 PM

Sometimes when people ask a question, other folks will tell them to use the search function because the topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Others will get mad about a zombie thread. If the discussion is still pertinent, I'll raise the dead! ;)

nitram 03-03-2019 06:07 PM

I sometimes shake my head after reading posts from veterans. So?

ahorsewithnonam 03-03-2019 06:08 PM

So, which is better....Taylor or Martin?

harpspitfire 03-03-2019 08:02 PM

whats funny is, i was doing research on something the other day, and ran across a thread here from 2009-i was going to post a reply to it- reason was- it wasnt really serious but had me laughing pretty good, i see a coupe fun threads here once in a while that start off with a serious question

The Kid! 03-03-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam (Post 5996246)

Hahahahahaha!

I’m having trouble playing a Bm chord! What can I do besides practice?

rokdog49 03-03-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam (Post 5996246)

Eastman...:)