The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin Authentic VTS vs non-VTS video (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397372)

MaurysMusic 08-14-2015 11:10 AM

Martin Authentic VTS vs non-VTS video

Which Martin D-28 Authentic 1941 do you prefer? Best to listen in HD on good headphones or monitors.

duluthdan 08-14-2015 11:14 AM

Close match. But on my little laptop speakers - I prefer the VTS because the sound seems to have a bit more of the raw edge I like my guitars to exhibit.

SongwriterFan 08-14-2015 11:27 AM

The VTS definitely LOOKS better . . . and I think it sounds better, too.

Napman41 08-14-2015 12:02 PM

It would interesting to do a blind test. Static picture of both guitars side by side with a sound clip and no guitar ID.

Long Jon 08-14-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SongwriterFan (Post 4602578)

Plus one on that. That VTS is beautiful and really Growls, (in a good way:) )

The 10 year old HD28V in my lap sounds better than either of them, but that's probably a shortcoming in my PC speaker's quality ! :D

MaurysMusic 08-16-2015 06:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far!

TBman 08-16-2015 06:49 AM

To me they were more or less even (different, but both good) until the end of the video where they were played up to the 14th fret. Then to me the non-vts took the trophy.

nedray 08-16-2015 07:07 AM

Based on the two guitars sampled, I prefer the non-VTS in every range, even though I thing the VTS model might be a little better balanced. Not as full and satisfying though, to me.

rmyAddison 08-16-2015 07:51 AM

Tough to say, and I listened on very good Adam Audio and Neumann studio monitors w/sub.

Some parts I preferred the non-VTS, others the VTS, I would have to sit down with them to really make a call, even good recordings (which that was Maury) are not the same as "live".

Both sounded really good and have that Martin dread growl and bite I really prefer over "polite" voiced instruments. If I still played dreads I could live with either one......;)

brencat 08-16-2015 08:01 AM

I liked the VTS version...was a softer more blended sound.

DanR 08-16-2015 11:10 AM

First of all, although I listened at the highest HD setting, I still listened through my meager computer monitors. I would never trust them for a crucial purchase.

The above being said, I could definitely hear a difference. The non VTS seemed to have more bass and the VTS had a little more pronounced high end and possibly had a better balance. Still, I preferred the tone of the non VTS. I also feel that two different examples of the tested guitars could possibly produce a different outcome.

merlin666 08-16-2015 12:53 PM

I only know the basics about Martins and don't know what VTS stands for, but I like it better as it sounds like the Suzuki guitar I used to play in the 70s, so brings back fond memories. Also, the colour of the non-VTS is definitely not as nice, though it has a clearer bass level for sure.

BTW I still own the Suzuki and after about 35 years in storage the sound (or my hearing) has considerably changed (though the Rosewood still smells very sweet).

Eriehunter 08-16-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SongwriterFan (Post 4602578)

I would agree.

The VTS model had a much better sound and separation of the notes. I first listened to this on my laptop speakers and then I put in my ear buds. Over the speakers it was very hard to tell the difference but the VTS mostly sounded better, through the ear buds the VTS sounded much better in every instance.

It almost sounded like the same guitar but with different strings. or the difference between new/old strings.

I wouldn't kick either one out of bed for eating crackers tho.

Both sounded real good.

Bridgepin 08-16-2015 01:40 PM

I like the VTS, Thanks for posting Maury

jimcaleca 08-16-2015 03:29 PM

Flip a coin... They were both great. I really couldn't hear much of a difference..