The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Restless by Gordon Lightfoot (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552378)

Glennwillow 07-18-2019 09:27 PM

Restless by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

Gordon Lightfoot released this song in 1993, clearly a song written by an older songwriter, thinking about his dad and the autumn of his life. My YouTube friend Moosehead, a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan, asked me if I might consider doing this song a couple of days ago. I had never heard of it, but found it on YouTube, ordered the CD, and learned it. I recorded this today. What a cool song!

The opening and the closing images and several in between were of a sunrise taken from the cockpit of a commercial jet airplane by First Officer Kane Hooworth. My friend Mach Buffet, a pilot, sent this photo to me and Kane provided permission for me to use it. An absolutely stunning photo taken with an IPhone. The other sunset images and the autumn photo were taken by my wife, and she also provided permission for me to use these images.

Thanks for watching! - Glenn

guitarquango 07-19-2019 03:58 AM

That was fantastic Glenn!! Saw your upload on Youtube and i LOVE it!

Great version.

Greetz & all the best, Jimmy

MikeMcKee 07-19-2019 07:11 AM

Nice Glenn. Had not heard that before either, but certainly fits in your wheelhouse. Enjoyed it.

Glennwillow 07-19-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMcKee (Post 6115476)
Nice Glenn. Had not heard that before either, but certainly fits in your wheelhouse. Enjoyed it.

Thank you Mike!

Glad you thought this came out okay; thanks for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 07-20-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarquango (Post 6115372)
That was fantastic Glenn!! Saw your upload on Youtube and i LOVE it!

Great version.

Greetz & all the best, Jimmy

Thank you Jimmy!

I'm so glad you like how this came out! And I always appreciate your comments -- Thanks so much!

- Glenn

SprintBob 07-20-2019 04:45 AM

Fantastic, great job on the visuals too. One mic?

Really enjoyed this one.

Glennwillow 07-20-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6116302)
Fantastic, great job on the visuals too. One mic?

Really enjoyed this one.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your comments! There are two small diaphragm condenser mics (Warm Audio WA-84) on the guitar and a large diaphragm tube condenser mic on my voice (Warm Audio WA-47).

The visuals were really helped by the photos from First Officer Kane Hooworth and from my wife, who had amassed a pile of great sunset photos at our house.

I'm really pleased that you thought this came out well, Bob, and I really appreciate your comments here! :)

- Glenn

MrEd 07-20-2019 10:26 AM

Really a wonderful song. Well done & great scenery Glenn. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks

Mike

Glennwillow 07-20-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEd (Post 6116641)
Really a wonderful song. Well done & great scenery Glenn. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks

Mike

Thank you Mike!

I appreciate your watching and taking the time to comment here! I'm so glad you felt this worked out well!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

TBman 07-20-2019 08:17 PM

You did a great job with that song Glenn. Its always relaxing to watch your videos. Thanks.

Glennwillow 07-20-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6117125)
You did a great job with that song Glenn. Its always relaxing to watch your videos. Thanks.

Hi Barry!

Thank you very much for watching and then taking the time to comment! Much appreciated! How nice that you find my videos relaxing. That particular song, Restless, is a pretty relaxing song. No super high notes, all pretty much sung at the same kind of volume, more of a tone poem, a contemplation on the passing of time and thinking back.

I'm sure both of us find ourselves doing that once in a while. :)

Thanks Barry!

- Glenn

Finger Stylish 07-25-2019 03:10 AM

Very nice work on this Glenn! :up:

Glennwillow 07-25-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finger Stylish (Post 6120813)
Very nice work on this Glenn! :up:

Thank you Vance!

I'm so glad you are watching! Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn

jaymarsch 07-25-2019 07:58 AM

I had not heard that song either. Sure sounds like a classic Gordon Lightfoot song in both feel and cadence. I never tire of his songs. You did a wonderful job with it, Glenn. Your singing and playing really captures the longing that is a constant undercurrent in his songs. Thanks for posting!

Best,
Jayne

FrankHudson 07-25-2019 08:47 AM

As I said in another thread in passing, you're leading me to re-assess Gordon Lightfoot with this series of very nice versions of some of his lesser-known songs. Odd that it taken your performances, and so long (on my part) for that, as throughout my long life there's always been Gordon Lightfoot songs, going back to the mid-20th century "folk scare."

By now I'm expecting your vocals to satisfy every time, but this time I was paying attention to the lovely guitar accompaniment too.