The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Awaiting... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523413)

kramster 10-09-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwellsy (Post 5858896)
Congrats! My buddy Simon likes it too.
Attachment 13853

My Ma had a Siamese Cat name Simon...that lil stud!

Captain Jim 10-09-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 5858904)
Can't see any photos...

Can't access the blog at work either.

That seems to be a harsh work environment. ;) I think a visit with HR is in order.

Long Road Home 10-09-2018 09:06 PM

Congratulations Captain! I bet your heart did a little flutter when you saw the hole in the box and the damaged corner (I know mine did on your behalf). It looks like a beauty.

Zephyr says to tell Cousin Rufus that he's a lucky boy to have such a good human to serenade him.

http://i.imgur.com/PmR4ei0m.jpg

Captain Jim 10-09-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax238 (Post 5858991)
Congratulations Captain! I bet your heart did a little flutter when you saw the hole in the box and the damaged corner (I know mine did on your behalf). It looks like a beauty.

Zephyr says to tell Cousin Rufus that he's a lucky boy to have such a good human to serenade him.

http://i.imgur.com/PmR4ei0m.jpg

Hi Barry,

Yeah, I was pretty anxious to get that box open. Whew!

Zephyr is one fine looking feline!

I went into the guitar room this evening, to try the X10 with an electric amp (quietly). Joan opened the door and said, "Can Rufus come in? He's been sitting right outside the door since you closed it." He came in and laid by my feet while I tried some different amp settings. :)

steelvibe 10-09-2018 09:47 PM

Congrats on your 3rd Captain! I bet you will love this one.

new2guitar_eh 10-10-2018 04:30 AM

You folks with multiple Emeralds....does that make you X-Men? :D

My X10 seems lonely....

raysachs 10-10-2018 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh (Post 5859105)
You folks with multiple Emeralds....does that make you X-Men? :D

My X10 seems lonely....

Yeah, evidently, your memory is erased and you don't know you already have one. So then you have to order ANOTHER!

kramster 10-10-2018 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raysachs (Post 5859109)
Yeah, evidently, your memory is erased and you don't know you already have one. So then you have to order ANOTHER!

Yes there is that

Earl49 10-10-2018 09:28 AM

Congrats on the new arrival, Jim. Just beautiful. You and Rufus both look very happy. That box looked a bit scary, but Emerald does a good job with packing.

Captain Jim 10-10-2018 09:35 AM

I must have missed that whole memory erasing thing. Or, maybe they didn't have much to work with? ;)

I remember my other Emeralds. Yes, I have even played them since the arrival of the X10. Each one brings something unique. Unlike my buddy Evan, I have not been searching for "the one." Oh, I thought this X10 might be a guitar that would step to the forefront with its in-between size and Level 2 pickups... but each of these Emeralds has something special; something that makes you want to pick it up.

The X20 just rumbles. I like to feel the power of this guitar as it vibrates against my chest and stomach. It is what an acoustic guitar should sound like.

The X10 is smaller, with a smaller acoustic sound. The feel of the neck is my favorite part of this guitar. The Level 2 pickups have a learning curve - it is not just plug and play. As I spend more time with it plugged in, I am rewarded with a variety of tones. Great ergonomics.

The X7 (previous generation) is just SO darn comfortable. It doesn't put out as much sound as the other two, but it is more than this petite instrument should do. I love this guitar. Great, balanced tone. It is "the little engine that could."

This new one has its work cut out for it. I played a bunch of combinations of settings with the pickups this morning. Well, until those strings left my fingers sore... I will be changing those out sooner rather than later.

Good thing I wasn't looking for "the one." I'm happy with "the three." :)

Captain Jim 10-10-2018 12:02 PM

I made a "sound check" of the 3 Emeralds, acoustically. Without headphones, there isn't a lot of difference. To my ear, when playing, there is a big difference.

Recorded with a Zoom H4n Pro, no adjustments, no corrections.

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/emerald-guitars-test

jdinco 10-10-2018 12:37 PM

I really like the sound of the X10 on your demo Jim, seems to have a bit more presence and clarity (I guess that's the word) than the others. Thanks for posting that and good playing there sir.

raysachs 10-10-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5859423)
I made a "sound check" of the 3 Emeralds, acoustically. Without headphones, there isn't a lot of difference. To my ear, when playing, there is a big difference.

They all sound really good Jim. But I have to wonder if something in the recording hardware / software is automatically equalizing the volume somehow? Having roughly the same X20 and X7 it's hard to imagine they'd sound that similar to a listener at the same distance. Because, as you say, to the player's ear, there's an enormous difference. Have you played them with someone else in the room listening or, better yet, had someone else play them for you to listen?

-Ray

JimCA 10-10-2018 02:06 PM

Thanks Jim. Same strings on all 3? Sounded remarkably similar, but X7 volume loudest.

Finger Stylish 10-10-2018 02:46 PM

They all sound great. To me the X20 had a cleaner articulate sound, and that is something you wouldn't normally perceive with strumming. I'd love to here some finger picking with the same test parameters. :)

Nice job on that JT song Captain Jim! :up:

Guest 928 10-10-2018 03:03 PM

Jim;

I think you need to test a 30, along with the others, just to really check out the difference between the 7,10,20, and 30.

Captain Jim 10-10-2018 03:11 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks. My wife and Rufus have been in the room with me while playing - but, since it has been barely 24 hours with the X10, no others. Joan likes the sound of the X20 best and I agree with her - Rufus said, "Sounds nice, Pops, is it time for supper, yet?"

All three were recorded while I was sitting in my comfy playing chair. The mics on the Zoom recorder were about 12" from the 12th fret and the soundhole. I have to say that I was less than happy with the lack of bass in the recording, but I set the levels manually, with no changes (only pressed the pause) between each guitar. The only reason I can think of why the X7 would sound so similar is that the projection is forward on that guitar, rather than up and forward on the other two. But, really, that X7 sounds better than it has a right to with its size.

I had been playing the X20 before going to free the X10 from the clutches of the Postal System. (It's a joke - I am grateful for our Postal System.) The X20 definitely sounds bigger and more full than the X10. Those D'Addario strings on the X10 are hard on my fingers and there is more squeek.

I may try recording something from a further distance one of these days. And, a comparison of the plugged in sounds. The X10 excels plugged in... BUT, I have to make adjustments at the PA for bass and treble (more bass, less treble, cut the volume) for the X10... with my other guitars, I have been able to leave the PA/amp alone and just make small adjustments at the guitar, if necessary.

All three nice guitars, but they each have their own sound.

I generally record from the PA - it is a bit foreign feeling to just sing "towards" a mic... and not have a little reverb to smooth things out. ;)

I haven't used that Zoom since before we left this summer - it took me a while to remember how to even turn it on. :hmm:

Captain Jim 10-10-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 5859590)
Jim;

I think you need to test a 30, along with the others, just to really check out the difference between the 7,10,20, and 30.

That is an interesting thought, Evan. For my comfort, I think the X20 is as big as I would need. But, if you'd like to buy an X30 and ship it to me, I will certainly give it a good playing before sending it back to you. Because that is the kind of guy I am.

Of course, Kramster would be the go-to resource for comparing each of those... and could toss in the "vintage" X10 and an X5 and Amicus.

:)

kramster 10-10-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5859607)
Of course, Kramster would be the go-to resource for comparing each of those... and could toss in the "vintage" X10 and an X5 and Amicus.

:)

What X5??? Have none it seems

Guest 928 10-10-2018 06:07 PM

Mr.K'

Well, what did you do with it? I'll bet you stashed it somewhere and forgot where you put it. What with a museum of CF instruments it's hard to keep an eye on all of them. They can wander off.

I've seen pictures of them, on snow covered mountains, all alone. How did they get there? Why are they headed for the high ground? Questions abound.

Keep looking, it's got to be somewhere.

Barb1 10-10-2018 07:01 PM

Congratulations, Capt. Jim. Enjoy the guitar!
Barb

Captain Jim 10-10-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5859610)
What X5??? Have none it seems

My mistake - I saw SO many CF guitars there, I thought there was an X5 in the pile. I guess you could cut your new X10 in half and have TWO X5s! :eek:

;)

kramster 10-10-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 5859736)
Mr.K'

Well, what did you do with it? I'll bet you stashed it somewhere and forgot where you put it. What with a museum of CF instruments it's hard to keep an eye on all of them. They can wander off.

I've seen pictures of them, on snow covered mountains, all alone. How did they get there? Why are they headed for the high ground? Questions abound.

Keep looking, it's got to be somewhere.

Alas dear dear Unc-age .. Taint never owned one meself. ...as far I be a reconin'.

Guest 928 10-11-2018 09:31 AM

Yes, the memory goes first, or maybe second. Years ago, when Alistair joined you in Arizona, I seem to remember someone jumped into the pool with an X5.
Check the bottom of your pool.

121 10-11-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5859423)

I think they all sound really good.
I like the X20 a tiny bit better.

A great song and very nicely executed.
Thank you for sharing.

Captain Jim 10-11-2018 04:23 PM

I was not able to start my day out playing the X10... a dental appointment kept me from that. But, I am minus some "mouth meat" where a new base and impression has been done for a tooth implant (the screw was put in last year). In two weeks or so, I'll have the finished product installed.

This wasn't anywhere as tough as the removal of a broken tooth and roots that necessitated the implant.

I thought I might take a nap when we got home, but there was an Emerald X10 calling my name. I don't know if the D'Addario strings need to be "played in" or if I left enough fingertip skin on those strings in the past 48 hours to enlarge the tone, but I played the X10 acoustically this afternoon... something has changed and the guitar sounds even bigger and better.

I had a lot of fun yesterday with the X10 run into an electric amp with modeling. Joan ordered me a TRS Y-cable so I will be able to run an acoustic amp and an electric amp at the same time - should make for some even greater tone variety.

Two days in, and I am VERY impressed with the X10!

(that is not the pain med talking) ;)

TomB'sox 10-11-2018 05:49 PM

I am way late on the congrats, but congrats on the new guitar and the new teeth...!!! I would not mind giving the guitar a go, not the teeth, if you decide to stop by in March haha!!!! You can see the Lone star in person as well!

Captain Jim 10-11-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5860519)
I am way late on the congrats, but congrats on the new guitar and the new teeth...!!! I would not mind giving the guitar a go, not the teeth, if you decide to stop by in March haha!!!! You can see the Lone star in person as well!

Hi Tom,

Tooth, not teeth. ;) It does have something in common with the X10: paid for before I get to see it. :D

Let's stay in touch about you getting some time with the X10.

Jim

Captain Jim 10-16-2018 10:31 AM

It has been a week with the new X10. Yes, still "the honeymoon" stage... I am SO enjoying this guitar! Before it arrived, I had some concerns about the 1 11/16" nut width... this neck feels like it was made for my hand!

I can tell right away if a guitar isn't for me. But, I find I have to spend some serious time with a guitar to know if it is a keeper. Yeah, this X10 is a delight.

The Level 2 pickups on this aren't just a "plug it in, adjust the volume and tone, and you're good to go" like my other acoustics - the two knobs control volume of the saddle pickup and the humbucking, with dark and mid-EQ adjustability on the piezo. Being able to switch to either pickup or a blend makes for a lot of tone differences. Add a TRS Y-cable, and you can run each pickup to a different amp. SO MANY tone options when plugged in. I am climbing this learning curve, and enjoying the process.

Today is Joan's birthday. She asked me to bring a guitar into the living room and just play for her. I didn't buy the X10 to be a "couch guitar," but it is fine for that, too.

It is rapidly becoming that "Goldilocks" guitar, earning its place with the X7 and X20.

-----

Edit: with the Y-cable run to the Bose S1 and to an electric modeling amp, the sound is like two guitars at once. Imagine your acoustic with a flanger and some chorus on the electric side and a nice rich acoustic sound through the PA. My wife is loving the sound! I am having fun.

kramster 10-16-2018 02:20 PM

The X10 sure is a fine playing critter... love it plugged in...and true the neck is great... haven’t done 2 amps at once yet... guess I am having too much fun putting together a video for the X7 and one for X30...