The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What Is The Best Tone You’ve Heard? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631961)

OPJ77 11-20-2021 10:18 AM

What Is The Best Tone You’ve Heard?

What is the best sounding guitar you’ve ever heard? Was it a guitar you’ve owned? One you’ve just played? Or maybe one from a recorded album?

J Patrick 11-20-2021 10:35 AM

…I don’t know if it’s the best tone I ever heard but it’s the one guitar I was so impressed by that I still think about it almost twenty years later….it was a custom Santa Cruz guitar….a 12 fret slot head OM in premium Brazilian Rosewood and German Spruce….not a 000…an OM…...it startled me it sounded so good….and was actually available for purchase at around three and a half thousand dollars…I have never seen another like it….if I had a time machine it would be one of the first places I would return to…cash in hand….

Mark L 11-20-2021 10:47 AM

Borges OM “Golden Grain” mahogany w stellar Euro spruce top.

Brent Hutto 11-20-2021 10:48 AM

You mean other than Tony Rice playing Clarence White's old guitar?

4-string 11-20-2021 10:51 AM

My Martin OM-28V still does it for me, every single time I play it. :)

Tommy Emmanuel live had a really great sound as well, augmented going through that PA of course, but definitely the best amplified acoustic guitar I have ever heard.

Brent Hutto 11-20-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 6860569)
My Martin OM-28V still does it for me, every single time I play it. :)

Tommy Emmanuel live had a really great sound as well, augmented going through that PA of course, but definitely the best amplified acoustic guitar I have ever heard.

I just can't hear any tone past the twang of his pickup when he plays plugged in without a mic. I love acoustic guitar tone and I love a twangy Telecaster but that in-between, thin sound of an plugged-in acoustic makes every player sound alike.

The worst example is some old Chet Atkins recordings. Awesome playing (as far as I can tell) but my goodness that quacky piezo sounds ugly.

4-string 11-20-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto (Post 6860579)
I just can't hear any tone past the twang of his pickup when he plays plugged in without a mic. I love acoustic guitar tone and I love a twangy Telecaster but that in-between, thin sound of an plugged-in acoustic makes every player sound alike.

The worst example is some old Chet Atkins recordings. Awesome playing (as far as I can tell) but my goodness that quacky piezo sounds ugly.

I agree, but when I saw TE live there was none of that ugly piezo quacky tone. Just warm, detailed and full sound. And loud! I suspect there was A LOT of internal mic in that mix.

Brent Hutto 11-20-2021 11:07 AM

I’ve only heard him on YouTube videos and who knows what all has happened to that sound between his guitar and my ears!

Kh1967 11-20-2021 11:21 AM

I recently played a Santa Cruz 1934 OM…just spectacular.

Glennwillow 11-20-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-string (Post 6860582)
I agree, but when I saw TE live there was none of that ugly piezo quacky tone. Just warm, detailed and full sound. And loud! I suspect there was A LOT of internal mic in that mix.

Actually, there is not a lot of the mic sound in Tommy Emmanuel's live sound. I have been to a couple of workshops with Tommy and he showed us his pickup system and how he adjusts the mic vs piezo pickup levels. He adds just enough mic sound to add a little body to the sound of the guitar. Most of what we are hearing is from the Maton piezo pickups. He does use more mic for some percussive sounds he does.

Maton seems to do a very good job on their piezo pickups. I'm not a person who likes piezo quack but the Maton pickups (one per string on Tommy's guitar) sound very good. I was astonished at how good the sound was.

- Glenn

4-string 11-20-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6860595)
Actually, there is not a lot of the mic sound in Tommy Emmanuel's live sound. I have been to a couple of workshops with Tommy and he showed us his pickup system and how he adjusts the mic vs piezo pickup levels. He adds just enough mic sound to add a little body to the sound of the guitar. Most of what we are hearing is from the Maton piezo pickups.

Maton seems to do a very good job on their piezo pickups. I'm not a person who likes piezo quack but the Maton pickups (one per string on Tommy's guitar) sound very good. I was astonished at how good the sound was.

- Glenn

Cool, I didn’t know. Agreed that Maton must do a stellar job, I am usually very allergic to that typical piezo sound but thought that TE sounded just great.

Honkycat 11-20-2021 11:27 AM

James Taylor's live guitar sound is hard to beat.

zmf 11-20-2021 11:35 AM

Most recently, what made me think "that's a good tone" was Glennwillow playing his Sheppard.

rick-slo 11-20-2021 11:35 AM

Lot of different ones I like the sound of (even some of mine). However one that right up there (does include a pickup) is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1x1txmfuV8

ssstewart 11-20-2021 12:03 PM

my fav "sound" song would be James Taylor- Fire and Rain Live.

Fav acoustic sound Artist- Gordon Lightfoot-whether its on a 12 string or cigar box.

Fav Electric sound song- Funk 49 The James Gang- love the sound Joe creates on that one-perfect matching of drums and guitar for me.

Fav Electric guitarist "sound- Ry Cooder on bottleneck slide

Fav AGF performer- Glenn Willow playing ANYTHING!!! he has the softest touch yet creates the most beautiful sound.