The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any Reason Not to Buy a Larrivee? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603322)

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:08 AM

Any Reason Not to Buy a Larrivee?

I am looking to buy a 'good' steel-string. I have an inexpensive one that's fine, but I would like better tonality. However, also nothing too extravagant.

I am leaning heavily towards the Larrivee at the moment.

But I thought it prudent to check to see if there was anything I might not be considering.

Thoughts?

RXMoore 01-08-2021 10:10 AM

Play as many guitars as you can in your price range. Buy the one you like best.

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:16 AM

Excellent advice!

However, we essentially have 1 music store, and they may not have anything in stock I'd like to play!

SpruceTop 01-08-2021 10:18 AM

IMHO there's NO REASON not to buy a Larrivee guitar. For great value and tone please check out the Larrivee 40 Legacy Series guitars! I've found Larrivee guitars to be very consistent in high-quality craftsmanship and excellent tone.

Mahogany 40 Legacy Series

Rosewood 40 Legacy Series

My Larrivee Guitar Reviews:

Larrivee D-40M Legacy Series

Larrivee SD-40M Legacy Series

Larrivee C-03R TE Tommy Emmanuel Custom Signature Model

RXMoore 01-08-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimiety (Post 6598830)
Excellent advice!

However, we essentially have 1 music store, and they may not have anything in stock I'd like to play!

Well. That kinda sucks, but if I were buying a mid-priced to high end guitar, I wouldn't think about buying one that I'd never played. How about a road trip?

Mycroft 01-08-2021 10:22 AM

The fretboard radius are a bit flatish. Apparently that annoys some people.

They are great guitars.

holly9000 01-08-2021 10:23 AM

I just made a thread about Maton guitars. Outstanding instruments :up:

Also if you like Larrivée, check out Morgan guitars built by David Iannone (who studied under Jean Larrivée)

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RXMoore (Post 6598833)
Well. That kinda sucks, but if I were buying a mid-priced to high end guitar, I wouldn't think about buying one that I'd never played. How about a road trip?

Pandemic. :(

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6598831)
IMHO there's NO REASON not to buy a Larrivee guitar. For great value and tone please check out the Larrivee 40 Legacy Series guitars! I've found Larrivee guitars to be very consistent in high-quality craftsmanship and excellent tone.

[/URL]

Yes. I was looking at those. I will check out your reviews.

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mycroft (Post 6598836)
The fretboard radius are a bit flatish. Apparently that annoys some people.

They are great guitars.

Thanks! I'm probably not a good enough player to notice, although I've played a classical guitar, so it might be fine.

llew 01-08-2021 10:27 AM

I see no reason not to? Great guitars that are all solid tone woods built in the US. Reasonably priced especially at the "03" range. FWIW...the "L" body Larrivee is a great compromise and proprietary model.
I believe I heard somewhere that the fretboard radius has changed but I may be wrong?

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holly9000 (Post 6598837)
I just made a thread about Maton guitars. Outstanding instruments :up:

Also if you like Larrivée, check out Morgan guitars built by David Iannone (who studied under Jean Larrivée)

Thanks! I will take a look!

Nimiety 01-08-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 6598843)
I see no reason not to? Great guitars that are all solid tone woods built in the US. Reasonably priced especially at the "03" range. FWIW...the "L" body Larrivee is a great compromise and proprietary model.
I believe I heard somewhere that the fretboard radius has changed but I may be wrong?

I've been experimenting with different guitars - just to see what's what.

I do have a Cordoba C10 cross-over. That's my good nylon-string. I find it more comfortable to play than a classic classical.

gmel555 01-08-2021 10:31 AM

No reason not to. I have two. A 25yo Dread and 15yo L-09. Both great guitars that have aged beautifully. All solid wood construction, including bindings, etc.. I do agree since their distribution is more limited than some other luthiers it can be difficult in some areas to find examples to try.

bsman 01-08-2021 10:40 AM

I have never owned a Larrivee, but have picked a number up at Gruhn in Nashville and Guitar Showcase in San Jose. Every one I have ever handled has been lightweight, incredibly resonant, and a joy to play. I would be very surprised if you ordered one and were not happy when it was delivered. While I do not and have not owned a Larry, I would be pretty confident in getting one sight-unseen, as in my experience they are very consistent.