The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why are most of the Taylor T5Z’s on back order right now? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635165)

joeguam 12-26-2021 01:23 AM

Why are most of the Taylor T5Z’s on back order right now?

I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used). For example, my friend works at the Guitar Center closest to the Taylor factory in El Cajon, CA and they only had one demo for sale (in black so I didn’t want it). But, he also said they’re completely sold out at the 3 nearest Guitar Center locations and everything on their website is on back order as well. I also did a search on Craigslist in a 300-mile radius and found nothing used for sale. Reverb doesn’t have much either. I checked Sweetwater, and most of their T5Z models are also on back order as well (only have 1 in stock right now).

I love my T5Z, use it for gigs 6 days a week so I was looking into getting one for a backup. But for a guitar that’s mostly criticized (on forums/YouTube/etc), it’s interesting that there aren’t very many available for purchase. Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?

Taylor Ham 12-26-2021 01:41 AM

Why are most of the Taylor T5Z’s on back order right now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeguam (Post 6889333)
I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used). For example, my friend works at the Guitar Center closest to the Taylor factory in El Cajon, CA and they only had one demo for sale (in black so I didn’t want it). But, he also said they’re completely sold out at the 3 nearest Guitar Center locations and everything on their website is on back order as well. I also did a search on Craigslist in a 300-mile radius and found nothing used for sale. Reverb doesn’t have much either. I checked Sweetwater, and most of their T5Z models are also on back order as well (only have 1 in stock right now).

I love my T5Z, use it for gigs 6 days a week so I was looking into getting one for a backup. But for a guitar that’s mostly criticized (on forums/YouTube/etc), it’s interesting that there aren’t very many available for purchase. Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?

The T5z uses a thick chunk of mahogany that is then hollowed out for the back and sides. It could be tough getting the appropriate sized pieces because of the supply chain issues/ they could be sitting in a container just off shore.

Or, Taylor's getting ready to mix it up again.

joeguam 12-26-2021 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor Ham (Post 6889337)
The T5z uses a thick chunk of mahogany that is then hollowed out for the back and sides. It could be tough getting the appropriate sized pieces because of the supply chain issues/ they could be sitting in a container just off shore.

Or, Taylor's getting ready to mix it up again.

That's interesting, I thought Taylor had a century supply of Sapele on hand, haha. But you're right, it could definitely be a supply issue.

Mak2525 12-26-2021 08:26 AM

Just a guess on my part, but I would say it's due to the electronics supply chain issues, more so than wood availability. Also, the T5Z models are a very small part of Taylor's overall sales, so they may be focusing more manpower on getting the best selling model inventory levels up first?

Dru Edwards 12-26-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mak2525 (Post 6889449)
Just a guess on my part, but I would say it's due to the electronics supply chain issues, more so than wood availability. Also, the T5Z models are a very small part of Taylor's overall sales, so they may be focusing more manpower on getting the best selling model inventory levels up first?

That would be my thought as well. A lot of companies in all industries have focused on producing their core, popular products.

dnf777 12-26-2021 08:49 AM

I wonder if theres not a surge in interest of hybrids now, sparked by Fender’s latest offering at a new price point? Seems like the hybrids are a natural fit for much of the classic rock/folk/country repertoires, and gigging seems to be at recent highs (at least for now). Im wondering if an acoustic hybrid Les Paul style Gibson is in the works?

joeguam 12-26-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnf777 (Post 6889459)
I wonder if theres not a surge in interest of hybrids now, sparked by Fender’s latest offering at a new price point? Seems like the hybrids are a natural fit for much of the classic rock/folk/country repertoires, and gigging seems to be at recent highs (at least for now). Im wondering if an acoustic hybrid Les Paul style Gibson is in the works?

I believe the T5Z is the “Les Paul Hybrid” (as you described) considering the HH format and body shape. A few online reviewers/demos also say very similar things with regards to tone but let’s see if Gibson takes a shot in the hybrid direction. PRS already has the hollowbody piezo II with the amazing electric tones, but personally I like the acoustic tone of the T5z better. Great to have options (I think?).

gmel555 12-26-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeguam (Post 6889333)
I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used)......Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?

There's ~ 50 new Classics ($1999) and Classic Deluxes ($2199) in total on reverb right now. Something like 23 Classics ad 27 Classic Deluxes. Maybe the big box stores aren't the best barometer...? (PS: I have one and think it's a great guitar for certain applications. I use it for amplified acoustic guitar needs in a full classic rock band (much better feedback resistance -IMHO- than amplified regular acoustics in that environment) and also as a rhythm electric without needing to switch guitars on stage. Light weight and compact body, I use it with a TC Electronic "Body-Rez" Pedal that nicely enhances the acoustic tone. It's perfect for me in that application.)

jonfields45 12-27-2021 07:15 AM

We're coming up on winter NAMM and Fender is pushing 20% off on US Acoustasonics. Maybe inventory is being cleared and the T5z and American Acoustasonic are about to be updated? Here's my wish list:

Neck pickup for the Acoustasonic.

ES-2 plus standard sized and mounted magnetic pickups for the T5z.

vcs700s 12-27-2021 11:57 AM

Gruhn has a new Taylor T5z right now.

Check it out under “new arrivals.”

https://guitars.com/

12barBill 12-27-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcs700s (Post 6890350)

This one:
https://guitars.com/inventory/ex1475...ssic-sassafras

joeguam 12-28-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6890096)
We're coming up on winter NAMM and Fender is pushing 20% off on US Acoustasonics. Maybe inventory is being cleared and the T5z and American Acoustasonic are about to be updated? Here's my wish list:

Neck pickup for the Acoustasonic.

ES-2 plus standard sized and mounted magnetic pickups for the T5z.

No neck pickup was the deal breaker for me. To each their own, and this was my own (reason for not buying one). Haha.

joeguam 12-28-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcs700s (Post 6890350)

That's pretty cool, but for me, that wood isn't what I'd spend $2200 on. I know someone out there absolutely loves sassafras so that would be perfect for them. Thanks for posting about Gruhn's, never heard of them before, now they're in my bookmarks.

dnf777 12-28-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeguam (Post 6890890)
That's pretty cool, but for me, that wood isn't what I'd spend $2200 on. I know someone out there absolutely loves sassafras so that would be perfect for them. Thanks for posting about Gruhn's, never heard of them before, now they're in my bookmarks.

Gruhns is a nice little used guitar shop.

Rudy4 12-28-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnf777 (Post 6891458)
Gruhns is a nice little used guitar shop.

Gruhns is an institution. ;)