The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   KLIQ UberTuner - initial impressions. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400538)

Rosewood99 09-12-2015 10:02 AM

KLIQ UberTuner - initial impressions.

Just came in the mail 30 minutes ago. Beautifully packaged. Boy is the display bright and easy to read. I put both the UberTuner and Snark on my guitar to see the difference. Both seem just as accurate but where the Snark would go back and forth a second or two before locking in, the UberTuner snaps right to the correct tuning (assuming you are already in tune).

The same thing happens with slightly out of tune strings. The UberTuner goes right to it where the Snark has a second or two hesitation.

The build quality is excellent. I also was impressed with customer service. While I was waiting on shipment I got an email with a PDF of the manual with a letter from the President asking me to contact her if I had any problems.

My initial impressions are it's not worth getting rid of your Snark since the differences are slight but if I didn't own either I would get the UberTuner.

We will see if the bright display effects batter life of if performance degrades over time. I will update the post in the future.

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/res...jpg?1437762170

BrunoBlack 09-12-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulzoom (Post 4636224)
Just came in the mail 30 minutes ago. Beautifully packaged. Boy is the display bright and easy to read. I put both the UberTuner and Snark on my guitar to see the difference. Both seem just as accurate but where the Snark would go back and forth a second or two before locking in, the UberTuner snaps right to the correct tuning (assuming you are already in tune).

The same thing happens with slightly out of tune strings. The UberTuner goes right to it where the Snark has a second or two hesitation.

The build quality is excellent. I also was impressed with customer service. While I was waiting on shipment I got an email with a PDF of the manual with a letter from the President asking me to contact her if I had any problems.

My initial impressions are it's not worth getting rid of your Snark since the differences are slight but if I didn't own either I would get the UberTuner.

We will see if the bright display effects batter life of if performance degrades over time. I will update the post in the future.

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/res...jpg?1437762170

Paul, what were your impressions of the hard plastic casing and clip mechanism? I got one and totally agree with your assessment of the performance. My only negative was the feel of the hard plastic composition. It's seems hard and brittle. The manufacurers really care about their customer satisfaction. They did a follow up with me after I bought it through Amazon. When I told them the plastic feel was a negative, they seem to recognize that comment as one they heard before.

Paul

Rosewood99 09-12-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasome (Post 4636258)
Paul, what were your impressions of the hard plastic casing and clip mechanism? I got one and totally agree with your assessment of the performance. My only negative was the feel of the hard plastic composition. It's seems hard and brittle. The manufacurers really care about their customer satisfaction. They did a follow up with me after I bought it through Amazon. When I told them the plastic feel was a negative, they seem to recognize that comment as one they heard before.

Paul

Doesn't really bother me one way or another.

sjino 09-14-2015 02:25 PM

Thanks for the review.

Looks nice and bright, but it's twice the price of a Snark. Unless it's twice as good, I'd probably rather have two Snarks versus one Ubertuner.

Rosewood99 09-14-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjino (Post 4638922)
Thanks for the review.

Looks nice and bright, but it's twice the price of a Snark. Unless it's twice as good, I'd probably rather have two Snarks versus one Ubertuner.

I paid $15 for my Snark and this cost me $23. I couldn't argue that you get a bit more bang for the buck with the Snark.

The more I use it the more I like it though.

amyFB 10-16-2015 08:19 AM

I just got my KILQ UberTuner yesterday and I really like the big clear display.

Overall it is the biggest chunk of tuning equipment I've ever clipped on my headstock, however, that's not a deal breaker, because,

the display is really the nicest I've seen. Big fat letters, nice 'in tune' visual cues.

Highway_61 10-16-2015 08:47 AM

As of this posting, the KLIQ is my favorite tuner. (I like it much better than )all the variants of the Snark I have owned or currently own), and I like it much better than the TC Polytune. It's worth the 24.00 price tag for absolute certain (it's probably worth a lot more, really, but we get a lot of value for our cash these days.)

nightchords 10-16-2015 09:49 AM

i think i not going to buy clip on tuner again until my polytune clip damaged!

BrunoBlack 10-16-2015 01:28 PM

After using KLIQ (not exclusively) for a couple of months, I'm luke warm. It does have a large bright display, that seems accurate without jumping around as you tune up like snarks do. However it is a very large hunk of hard plastic to clip onto the headstock. In the end it seems clunky to me. I've come to prefer the tc polytune clip. Although the polytune clip costs over $40 depending on where you buy it, it seems smaller, bright, and at least as accurate, if not more so.

Highway_61 10-17-2015 02:50 PM

Update:
KLIQ is a great tuner.
KLIQ customer service is superb.
The battery holder mechanism is, like the Snark's, is horrible.
For that reason, I'm moving the TC Polytune back up to the top of my list.
And I'm crowdsourcing now: What tuners in addition to the Polytune have a battery compartment that is easy to refill?

Scott1969 04-26-2016 10:52 PM

I've had the Ubertuner for a few days now. At first it was reading the G string as a D. I removed the battery for a few minutes, reinserted it, and that solved the problem. It's built much sturdier than a Snark. I'm very pleased with it. In a nutshell it's bright, fast and accurate.

Long Jon 04-27-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway_61 (Post 4679469)
Update:
KLIQ is a great tuner.
KLIQ customer service is superb.
The battery holder mechanism is, like the Snark's, is horrible.
For that reason, I'm moving the TC Polytune back up to the top of my list.
And I'm crowdsourcing now: What tuners in addition to the Polytune have a battery compartment that is easy to refill?

I haven't ever seen a KLIQ, but I don't know what is "horrible" about changing the battery in a Snark ?

Slide the little drawer out and change the battery, slide it back in, good for another 6 months or more in my experience. :)

I always switch 'em off the instant I'm in tune, to save power.

roylor4 04-27-2016 08:30 AM

My wife has a Ubertuner and bought me one as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. My review: meh

Reacts slow, nor very responsive and expensive for price/performance IMO. I do like that it's bright and easy to read but the other cons kill it for me.

I by far prefer my Snark.

Rosewood99 04-27-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 4916413)
My wife has a Ubertuner and bought me one as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. My review: meh

Reacts slow, nor very responsive and expensive for price/performance IMO. I do like that it's bright and easy to read but the other cons kill it for me.

I by far prefer my Snark.

You sure you had a good battery? Mine Is very fast and responsive. I like it equally compared to my Snark and it's better outdoors because of the display.

CRM 04-27-2016 10:40 AM

I have had mine now for about 5 months......Love it. I don't keep my tuners clipped on once in tune so the size does not matter to me. I gave my TU-20 away after using this for a week.