The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   K&K FanTaStick UST (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546054)

Petty1818 05-05-2019 01:25 PM

K&K FanTaStick UST

Has anyone ever tried the passive K&K FanTaStick UST pickup? I am currently using the HFN and really like it but I have been considering adding a UST to the mix for two reasons. One, I would like to blend in even 10% just to bring in a bit more low end and two, if I run into feedback, I have the ability to blend out more HFN.

I used to use the Matrix Elipse Blend system and never noticed an impact on my unplugged tone. The K&K seems to be a similar material to the Matrix and the fact that it's passive is a bonus. Any thoughts?

AeroUSA 05-05-2019 01:30 PM

I have and really liked it. Very high output and a solid pickup so it did not affect the tone. I would use it again. Worked great with ToneDexter but of course it is very quacky by itself.

jonfields45 05-05-2019 02:00 PM

The original Fishman UST, now called the Pro AG Series, seems to be a similar design with 6 piezo crystals in a thin metal shielded UST. I've owned them long ago and thought they were genuinely inferior in tone to the piezo film USTs (Matrix and Element) that came later and required internal preamps. Maybe serviceable with Tonedextor. I once contacted Fishman support about using an AG with Aura (I like passive installations where possible) and they were pretty insistent that it was going to be quite inferior to a Matrix even mated with an Aura pedal.

AeroUSA 05-05-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6054825)
The original Fishman UST, now called the Pro AG Series, seems to be a similar design with 6 piezo crystals in a thin metal shielded UST. I've owned them long ago and thought they were genuinely inferior in tone to the piezo film USTs (Matrix and Element) that came later and required internal preamps. Maybe serviceable with Tonedextor. I once contacted Fishman support about using an AG with Aura (I like passive installations where possible) and they were pretty instant that it was going to be quite inferior to a Matrix even mated with an Aura pedal.

That may be because Aura images were designed for the Matrix. It should be a non issue with the ToneDexter. I would suggest trying the AG or Stick especially if you’re using a TD.

Petty1818 05-05-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6054825)
The original Fishman UST, now called the Pro AG Series, seems to be a similar design with 6 piezo crystals in a thin metal shielded UST. I've owned them long ago and thought they were genuinely inferior in tone to the piezo film USTs (Matrix and Element) that came later and required internal preamps. Maybe serviceable with Tonedextor. I once contacted Fishman support about using an AG with Aura (I like passive installations where possible) and they were pretty instant that it was going to be quite inferior to a Matrix even mated with an Aura pedal.

Thanks for this. It is always hard to know how companies compare in terms of their pickups. On paper, it does appear as though the FanTaStick is similar to the Pro AG Series but I wonder what a head to head comparison would show? I think for me, I know that any UST will quack and sound like a UST. I just want something that I can easily pair with the HFN/Artist 2 preamp. I also would love it to be similar to the Matrix in that there's little to no tonal loss with the unplugged tone.

WPTS 06-17-2019 07:16 PM

I used the fantastick in a dual source along with a pure mini (k&k powermix) and the dimarzio black angel. If you're looking to add low end, the fantastick certainly won't give you that. Its very week in the low end 100-300hz. It works best as a compliment to the pure mini in a dual source setup. It is brittle and will cut through nicely but def needs to be tamed with a preamp. I've never used one but from my research on here i'd try a pickup the world or open to source sensors ust.