The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speakers - what are you using for home studio? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212653)

Gypsyblue 04-03-2011 08:53 AM

Speakers - what are you using for home studio?

I don't want to spend much. I've always liked older Boston Acoustics for my home stereo and was thinking of getting some used BA bookshelf speakers for the little home studio I'm putting together. But I haven't made a move yet and I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!

sdelsolray 04-03-2011 09:22 AM

You probably don't want to hear this, but studio monitoring is one of those things that the professionals say, "Don't scrimp on your monitoring." Still, there are dozens and dozens of studio nearfield monitors that are inexpensive and seem to get good reviews from users.

Most studio cats use monitors to listen to full mixes, including bass, keyboards, vocals, drums, etc. Not surprisingly, most home studio user and pro reviews are from this perspective. Some of us are only interested in acoustic guitar, which does not reach into the low frequencies like a bass guitar or keyboard does. If you are in this camp, then you don't need flat bass response down into the bass range. A monitor that provides -3dB at 60 Hz is quite adequate for acoustic guitar and vocal recording.

As to brands and models, I don't have much experience with that many different monitors in my own space - only 6 different pairs over the years - so I can't help much there. I currently use Quested monitors.

Gypsyblue 04-03-2011 09:42 AM

Thanks! This is just a little Zoom H4 based home studio for recording my acoustic guitar compositions. I'll also sometimes record some vocals and sometimes a little percussion. I might invest in some nicer mics than what are built into the Zoom H4 at some point.

rmyAddison 04-03-2011 09:42 AM

I agree with sdelsolray, you get what you pay for. I use Adam Audio reference monitors and sub, love the ribbon tweeters.

ferg 04-03-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbird (Post 2570135)
I don't want to spend much. I've always liked older Boston Acoustics for my home stereo and was thinking of getting some used BA bookshelf speakers for the little home studio I'm putting together. But I haven't made a move yet and I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!

In my personal experience (and also from those of more knowledgeable folks that I've read), home stereo speakers are not best suited for studio applications. Typically, these speakers tend to color the sound somewhat, which makes them great for listening, but not necessarily for mixing. If you mix on a pair of speakers like that, then you'll likely get stuff that sounds good on those speakers, but may not translate as well to other systems. Good studio monitors are designed to give an uncolored sound, so you can mix based on the true sound of the material, and you should be able to achieve a mix that translates better from one system to the next.

That said, I often do a lot of my mixing using headphones, which, I know is far from ideal. The headphones I use (Sennheiser HD280) are pretty true, but it's just not the best way to mix. Unfortunately, with a houseful of people, it's often my only option.

I do agree, though, with sdelsolray - if you're doing just acoustic guitar or acoustic guitar/vox, it's not as critical as if you were mixing a full band.

Gypsyblue 04-03-2011 10:41 AM

Well I made up my mind fast on this one and found some almost new JBL LSR2325P speakers for under $200. shipped. I read a bunch of reviews and all raved about these little guys. These seem like a good deal and they're within my price range for the very modest home studio I'm putting together. Thanks for steering me away from a set of home stereo speakers.

fitness1 04-03-2011 11:11 AM

I have my recording deck patched into my main audiophile system in my listening room......speakers are Athena ASF1.2's. I do close field listening so it works out well, it's all setup already;)

alohachris 04-03-2011 11:49 AM

Howzit Goldenbird

Aloha Goldenboid,

I totally agree wtih Sdelsolray regarding monitors. I'm using Adam A7 monitors (near-fields), Daedalus 803's (mid-fields), AKG K-240 mkII Studio headphones & my car stereo speakers for mastering.

The key to near-field monitors for recording is accuracy. You want them as un-colored sounding & flat as possible - which are not necessarily what you want in stereo speakers, for example. You also want speakers that don't give you ear fatigue & which are room adjustable.

You move fast, dude. JBL's on the way.

Write a review when they arrive.

Happy Sunday.

alohachris

Gypsyblue 04-03-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohachris (Post 2570315)
Aloha Goldenboid,

You move fast, dude. JBL's on the way.

Write a review when they arrive.

Happy Sunday.

alohachris

Aloha Chris! It's a beautiful Sunday in the mountains where we live but we're expecting snow.

Even after having my ear drums lanced and drained on Friday, I still can't hear a lick, but I want to think positively and continue composing. It's interesting how the isolation of being deaf makes composing easier - I'm hearing more music in my head than usual. Lyrics too.

Putting this little studio of mine together cheers me up. Here's just some of the reviews I read of the JBL's: http://www.google.com/products/catal...681&os=reviews

7thbassbA 04-04-2011 09:24 AM

David Eden EM5

I found a pair of Eden EM5's for around 120.00 on Ebay. They don't make them anymore and I think folks were dumping their inventory. Sound great. Handles electric bass well, as it should coming from Eden.

KevWind 04-04-2011 11:12 AM

I currently use a pair KRK V8s At some point I would like to move up to
either PCM K&H or Focal but that's a bit into the future

K-vegas 04-04-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbird (Post 2570257)
Well I made up my mind fast on this one and found some almost new JBL LSR2325P speakers...

I think you'll like these. I have similar jbl's, 4326's, and they are very musical and revealing. Not bass heavy for sure but they work well for most acoustic mixes.

My problem with selecting monitors was there is no place left around my area that carries pro audio any more. GC has a small selection to hear, but finding a time to audition monitors there w/o heavy background noise is impossible.

Good luck with your selection and post back how they work for you.

PorkPieGuy 04-04-2011 03:04 PM

I mix everything at home through a pair of AKG K240 headphones. Love them.

fitness1 04-04-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy (Post 2571613)
I mix everything at home through a pair of AKG K240 headphones. Love them.

yes, I forgot, I use my AT M50's for the initial mix, then the system for the second "opinion";)

Pete on guitar 04-05-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohachris (Post 2570315)
...& my car stereo speakers for mastering.

You know, that is a really good point alohachris. When I'm done tweaking the very last bit of fine-tuning of the level of the backing vocals... the granularity of the reverb... when I've twice removed and re-instated that annoying - or maybe sublime - finger-squeak in the intro... THEN I listen to it in the car, and then I REALLY know what it sounds like. My car stereo is no great shakes, but it's the system I listen to the most, and I know what a good mix sounds like on it. If I've got a cluttered and muddy bass-end, the dashboard rattles, etc...

Beep
Pete

fitness1 04-05-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete on guitar (Post 2572350)
You know, that is a really good point alohachris. When I'm done tweaking the very last bit of fine-tuning of the level of the backing vocals... the granularity of the reverb... when I've twice removed and re-instated that annoying - or maybe sublime - finger-squeak in the intro... THEN I listen to it in the car, and then I REALLY know what it sounds like. My car stereo is no great shakes, but it's the system I listen to the most, and I know what a good mix sounds like on it. If I've got a cluttered and muddy bass-end, the dashboard rattles, etc...

Beep
Pete

Agreed....I always know I've done well when it sounds good in the car too.
Not sure what manufacturer Honda is using for their car electronics now, but they sure are well engineered systems.

Gypsyblue 04-05-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete on guitar (Post 2572350)

Beep
Pete

Me too! I listen to more music in my car and truck then I do at home and when I record something I always check it out in my car an truck because I figure that's where most people are going to be listening to it as well.

The JBL speakers I bought are powered Bi-Amp speakers, BTW.

LimeGuy 04-09-2011 08:16 AM

I too have been looking for some decent monitors and the JBLs sound like a good value. Here's my dilemma.....I'd like to plug them into the back of my Mac which I use as my DAW but I only have USB and a 1/8" speaker jack. From what I can tell the JBLs use XLR balanced or 1/4". Any suggestions?

moon 04-09-2011 08:58 AM

The mac output and the 1/4" sockets should both be line level so all you need is an adapter cable.

Gypsyblue 04-09-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimeGuy (Post 2577002)
I too have been looking for some decent monitors and the JBLs sound like a good value. Here's my dilemma.....I'd like to plug them into the back of my Mac which I use as my DAW but I only have USB and a 1/8" speaker jack. From what I can tell the JBLs use XLR balanced or 1/4". Any suggestions?

The JBL's also have a RCA input jack. You don't have an output for a RCA type cord?

K-vegas 04-09-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimeGuy (Post 2577002)

When I first got the JBL's I had a presonus inspire interface with RCA unbalanced monitor outs. I used the RCA to 1/4" mono cables that I had always used with my old monitors. FWIW the JBL's still sounded nice to me using the unbalanced inputs. I'm thinking you could run these from the 1/8 stereo out jack you have. You really might want to ask jbl first tho.

I did recently upgrade to a focusrite interface with TRS balanced outs and that sounds just fine as well. It may be a tick louder now but difference may be in the two units themselves not the balanced vs unbalanced outs.

LimeGuy 04-09-2011 09:18 AM

Unfortunately I don't have an RCA output on my Mac. Looks like I'll need an adapter.

joehempel 04-09-2011 09:54 AM

Glad Im not the only guy that does a final test in the car. Lol. Of course ky problem os with cheap headphones.My stuff doesn't sound to good in those.

skiltrip 04-13-2011 07:34 AM

I use Alesis Monitor One Mk2 monitors with an Alesis RA150 Power Amp. I've been using these for as long as I can remember. Not the best out there, but I know them well, and I think knowing your speakers is more important than which ones you get. You need to learn whatever speakers you have in your studios.

Gypsyblue 04-17-2011 08:23 PM

Well I got my JBL LSP2325P speakers. Got my ZoomH4. Got my Oktava MK-012 mic modded for Neumann KM-84 tone and plan to get another for stereo recording. Got a couple of Shure SM-57's and a couple of SM-58's. Got a computer. Got a nice quiet room to record in and have started putting together baffles and go-bo's and sound deadening stuff.

And I've got a jillion or two solo guitar pieces that I've composed over the last twenty years. ;)

What else do I need? I'm only interested in recording acoustic guitar, some percussion and some vocals.

noledog 04-17-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbird (Post 2570135)

I use a set of old Klipsch Kg1's in oak. I still love the live, balanced and clear sound of them. They have served me well...
noledog

K-vegas 04-18-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbird (Post 2586309)
What else do I need? I'm only interested in recording acoustic guitar, some percussion and some vocals.

Sounds to me like you're good to go for now. With new monitors it's not a bad idea to listen to as much pre-recorded cd's of similar style music that you intend to mix yourself. Training your ear to them, so to speak.

You can make some new music or keep tinkering. It's hard for me to do both at the some time. I suggest keeping your best energy focused on music and let your recording setup evolve naturally over time.

Fran Guidry 04-18-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbird (Post 2586309)
Well I got my JBL LSP2325P speakers. Got my ZoomH4. Got my Oktava MK-012 mic modded for Neumann KM-84 tone and plan to get another for stereo recording. Got a couple of Shure SM-57's and a couple of SM-58's. Got a computer. Got a nice quiet room to record in and have started putting together baffles and go-bo's and sound deadening stuff.

And I've got a jillion or two solo guitar pieces that I've composed over the last twenty years. ;)

Experience and an understanding of recording levels. Of all the things I needed to learn the hardest but most useful was convincing myself that the recorded signal level _should_ be ridiculously low.

In analog recording, the standard level was called "0 dBVU" and every part of the chain was optimized to work with that level. It was possible to go over that level with transients, so "hitting the red" on the meter was a good thing, you were optimizing signal to noise without adding substantial distortion.

Digital recording is scaled to "0 dBFS" and FS means Full Scale or all bits on. This is an absolute limit in digital recording and it's roughly 18 dB hotter than the old 0 dBVU. Trying to hit 0 dBFS is equivalent to pinning the old VU meter deep in the red and keeping it there, and the result is not good. The analog electronics in the chain are being driven beyond their sweet spot, and any overs result in nasty digital clipping.

A much more accurate and pleasant recording results from aiming for an average (RMS) level down around -18 dBFS, with peaks never exceeding -6 dBFS or so. This will sound very quiet compared to a commercial recording, but that's fine. The overall level is set in the mastering stage, just before the final output is produced.

Fran

Sage97 04-18-2011 08:26 PM

I may be the only left using Event 20/20s. Do they even still make them?

Just like the others, I also listen to the mix using my home audio (Denon and B&W speakers), Klipsch 2.1 computer monitors (the same model fitness is selling) and car stereo.

Gypsyblue 04-19-2011 08:15 AM

Well once again thanks guys! And Fran I had no idea about the recording levels thing. I haven't done any recording of myself since the days when I had a Teac 3340 4 track and a little Teac/Tascam board and home studio in my garage. Reel to Reel.