The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Are you a foot tapper? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569198)

Riverwolf 01-13-2020 06:36 PM

Are you a foot tapper?

(mods, if this should be in the play section then please move)

I'm not sure when I started but now my left foot keeps perfect time with my beat.
I remember years ago a teacher told me that my playing was clean.
But my timing was all over the place.
He said that it was not possible to tap his foot to my playing.
Try as I might it was just not possible for me either.
And now it has become automatic. :)

YamahaGuy 01-13-2020 06:38 PM

When I played trombone in middle school band, yes. I play guitar standing and signing primarily, and occasionally I switch on and off effects pedals, so no I am not a foot stomper. On occasion, I'll run in place or hop, but never stomp the foot.

MrDB 01-13-2020 06:45 PM

I play sitting down and yes I am a foot tapper.

Peepaw 01-13-2020 06:48 PM

Foot tapper.
Sometimes when I'm really getting into it, I will start keeping time with my whole body. Mostly a tapper though.

WiseAxe 01-13-2020 06:55 PM

Tap, yes. Stomps not really appreciated. But foot tapping is appreciated and helpful when playing with others.

Coler 01-13-2020 07:01 PM

I play in a trad/folk session and I do tap along when comping the tunes. Not so much when playing songs.

KarenB 01-13-2020 07:09 PM

Yep. I'm a tapper.

Dru Edwards 01-13-2020 07:46 PM

I'm not. Sometimes perhaps but not usually.

Beakybird 01-13-2020 07:57 PM

Now if there was only some way to harness that power, you could save on that electric bill. By the way, I'm building a prototype baby pacifier with a USB out to power portable electronics. Babies should have to work like the rest of us! Ok. I'm joking.
The more you get your body into it, the more you harness your innate sense of rhythm. I often tap my thumb on the guitar top on beats that I'm not strumming.
I had horrible rhythm in high school, and a musician friend told me that I could never make it in music because of my poor sense of rhythm, but he was uninformed. What he had said discouraged me for years, but now I'm a professional keyboardist and ardent guitar hobbyist.

rstaight 01-13-2020 08:39 PM

When I play sitting I find myself using both feet. Right foot on beats 1, 2, 3, 4. Left foot on 2 and 4.

Back to the days when I had a drum set. Some habits are hard to break.

tonyo 01-13-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure when I started but now my left foot keeps perfect time with my beat.
Is that a beat you've measured with a metronome or click track or other means? If so, fantastic. If not, I challenge you to play along to a metronome before you make such a claim.

mcmars 01-13-2020 10:23 PM

Yep, It goes up and down with the thumb!

HodgdonExtreme 01-13-2020 10:38 PM

I have to tap to learn a tune. It's fundamental to me or my timing will be terrible.

Learning to do this has made me a bit of a tapper, though it'll come and go throughout any tune I play.

Jobe 01-13-2020 11:02 PM

I am a double foot tapper and I freely admit it. It is best to play in bare feet. My right foot likes to come over to my left foot and give it a tap. It's some sort of a heads up. Frankly, I don't know why my feet do what they do. I let them be. We get along just fine.

reeve21 01-14-2020 09:26 AM

I've been tapping one or both feet and counting the beats in my head since 3rd grade (started on a recorder, then saxophone). I don't always do it, it is sort of unconscious now, like blinking. But in learning tricky parts I always revert back. If it's good enough for Tommy Emmanuel it's good enough for me :)