The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Crash and burn (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603386)

TBman 01-08-2021 11:15 PM

Crash and burn
 
I've been home from work, semi-retired now and enjoying more time to play and compose. I've worked on maybe 6 or 7 tunes of my own and all of them, except one, have been terrible and the one is marginal. Tonight I started out trying to write something Celtic influenced and it came out more like a waltz.

I have no idea what I'm doing :D

I guess writing these turkeys out is a good way to get them out of my system :D

H165 01-08-2021 11:33 PM

Quote:

I have no idea what I'm doing
This is a great advantage to a songwriter... completely avoids accidental plagiarism, boring repetition, and unintended imitation.

NormanKliman 01-09-2021 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H165 (Post 6599390)
This is a great advantage to a songwriter... completely avoids accidental plagiarism, boring repetition, and unintended imitation.

Hi Barry,

How long has this been going on? If you want advice, try taking a break, take care of yourself (food and rest) during that time and go at it again. When I take a break, it takes about three days of hard work to get back in shape. Also, if parts of your compositions are hard to play, make them easier. If you gotta change something, and if you canít change yourself (same results after taking a break), change the composition.

islandguitar 01-09-2021 09:20 AM

Hey Barry!
I feel your pain!! :D
Sounds like it's a situation where you now have more time and are equating more time with what you "should" be doing and you're forcing the creativity to match that greater available time.
Everybody's different so I can't really advise too much here......the journey continues.......I'm sure things will settle in for you!

stanron 01-09-2021 09:39 AM

Compose them, notate or record them, forget them. Come back to them in a year or so and see what you think then. If you do this for a year you will have a better idea of what you are doing. You might find that you like something you did earlier or you know how to improve it. Skills improve with application. Good luck.

islandguitar 01-09-2021 10:26 AM

HI Barry (again), just had another thought on this, as it relates to what I'm doing now with a new tune I'm working on.
I presume you're working with a capo for most of these? Anyway, before you discard a tune, make sure you're messing around with a capo on different frets, and also auditioning other guitars with this same tune and capo positions. It might make a difference in how it sounds to you. Perhaps you've already done this?
There's a world of difference in the sounds created with this change and one you land on may hit you as worth staying with and expanding on.

H165 01-09-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

may hit you as worth staying with and expanding on.
This is a key bit of songwriting for me. I seem to eventually land on a key underlying basis or idea for each song. If I get stuck, I go back to that idea and try to alter or complete the picture from there.

rick-slo 01-09-2021 11:33 AM

For starters normally don't play a short patch of notes or a melody line over and over and over (and with little or no variation) simply
to make the recording last longer and then call it a new composition. Add variety, development of secondary, tertiary... sections and
probably the use of more of the length of the fretboard.

TBman 01-09-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 6599743)
For starters normally don't play a short patch of notes or a melody line over and over and over (and with little or no variation) simply to make the recording last longer and then call it a new composition. Add variety, development of secondary, tertiary... sections and
probably the use of more of the length of the fretboard.

Yeah, I think composing is one of the things I'd like to do, but don't have the talent. Sort of like when I wanted to be QB of the Packers when I was a kid, :D

I'll get stuck, but want to finish something and I'll just repeat with some small changes and then that's all I have. Its fun, I like playing guitar and I like the challenge of recording and playing around with Reaper and plug-ins, but I don't think its really for me. There's really nothing there. I think I'm better off entertaining myself by doing covers of what I like.

AndreF 01-09-2021 04:57 PM

Barry,
Above all, try not to be so hard on yourself. You obviously like to noodle around and compose stuff. Just set it aside for the time being and don't worry about it. You'll be fresher when the muse comes back.
In the meantime:
Quote:

I'm better off entertaining myself by doing covers of what I like
Exactly! :up:

TBman 01-09-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreF (Post 6600112)
Barry,
Above all, try not to be so hard on yourself. You obviously like to noodle around and compose stuff. Just set it aside for the time being and don't worry about it. You'll be fresher when the muse comes back.
In the meantime:

Exactly! :up:

Good idea Andre!

spock 01-09-2021 08:50 PM

Just realized you are most likely writing instrumental tunes and not standard words and music songs, so I edited my post as most of what I was going to say would not apply, but this much probably does apply regardless of what kind of songs you are composing - don't give up, just open up and let it come to you and don't worry about what anyone else may think of what you are doing, but enjoy the creative process and achievement for the sake of doing it.

cedartop52 01-09-2021 09:52 PM

I've admired your work for a while now and am sorry to hear you're discouraged. I found that playing straight covers isn't that satisfying and writing new songs is a bit beyond my skills. A happy middle ground has been creating my own arrangements and interpretations of songs I admire. Sometimes I take them pretty far afield from their original form and it is great fun. Anyhow, it is just an idea...and when in doubt buy a new guitar!!! ha Dan

TBman 01-09-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spock (Post 6600294)
Just realized you are most likely writing instrumental tunes and not standard words and music songs, so I edited my post as most of what I was going to say would not apply, but this much probably does apply regardless of what kind of songs you are composing - don't give up, just open up and let it come to you and don't worry about what anyone else may think of what you are doing, but enjoy the creative process and achievement for the sake of doing it.

It's more than a little frustrating though, but thanks. I think giving it a rest is the best for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedartop52 (Post 6600330)
I've admired your work for a while now and am sorry to hear you're discouraged. I found that playing straight covers isn't that satisfying and writing new songs is a bit beyond my skills. A happy middle ground has been creating my own arrangements and interpretations of songs I admire. Sometimes I take them pretty far afield from their original form and it is great fun. Anyhow, it is just an idea...and when in doubt buy a new guitar!!! ha Dan

Dan, I have a couple of books of Celtic music that's arranged in standard. I'm thinking about taking one or two and see how they work out in other tunings just for the heck of it after I learn them in standard.

SprintBob 01-11-2021 07:09 AM

You might find inspiration from this Barry. Itís a good listen.

https://www.ted.com/talks/sting_how_...in?language=en


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=