The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mule resonators (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584579)

seangil 06-19-2020 09:35 PM

Mule resonators

Anyone out there played multiple Mule resonators? I just got my hands on a Mule single cone resonator. When I first pulled it out of the case, I wasn't sure what I thought, but it has really grown on me over the last few days and I find that I am reaching for that over a pretty good flat top acoustic.

I'm curious if anyone has been able to play both a single cone and a tricone? Or their brass alongside their steel? Really would like to hear some of the others. I've seen youtube videos, but, now that i have heard one live, there is a pretty big difference.

The Mule really does have a sound of its own, which I struggle to describe. But I am finding it pretty cool.

Diamond Slides 08-14-2020 07:57 AM

I've been honored to play three Mule's ~ their U.K. stockist is based just down the road from our workshop.

This is a purely personal opinion and others may vary a lot!

The neck feels amazing ~ to me it's the best part of a Mule & if anyone asked me to spec-out my perfect resonator instrument it would be a National German Silver tricone with a Mule neck!

The single-cone Mule Resonators are pretty impressive ~ sweeter in tone and quieter than it's National Resophonic equivalent and the best of the two body materials to my ears was brass.

The tricone didn't do it for me soundwise ~ the general opinion of players experienced with tricone instruments was that the tone sounded compressed and 'muffled' ~ and all agreed it was due to the coverplate design. The traditional tricone triangular coverplate design offers more holes for the tone & volume to exit the body ~ the Mule tricone is built with a single-cone coverplate - fine for a large single cone, which is more powerful than the three smaller single cones, but seems to 'hold in' the volume & tone when used for a tricone system.

Hope this helps ~ again, this is a purely personal opinion from a seasoned resonator guitarist.

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)

seangil 08-14-2020 12:27 PM

mule

I would agree that the single cone steel is sweeter and more rounded (less bark) than the National single cones that I have played. I prefer that sound, but it depends on what you are trying to do musically with the guitar.

A Datts 08-21-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamond Slides (Post 6468123)
I've been honored to play three Mule's ~ their U.K. stockist is based just down the road from our workshop.

This is a purely personal opinion and others may vary a lot!

The neck feels amazing ~ to me it's the best part of a Mule & if anyone asked me to spec-out my perfect resonator instrument it would be a National German Silver tricone with a Mule neck!

The single-cone Mule Resonators are pretty impressive ~ sweeter in tone and quieter than it's National Resophonic equivalent and the best of the two body materials to my ears was brass.

The tricone didn't do it for me soundwise ~ the general opinion of players experienced with tricone instruments was that the tone sounded compressed and 'muffled' ~ and all agreed it was due to the coverplate design. The traditional tricone triangular coverplate design offers more holes for the tone & volume to exit the body ~ the Mule tricone is built with a single-cone coverplate - fine for a large single cone, which is more powerful than the three smaller single cones, but seems to 'hold in' the volume & tone when used for a tricone system.

Hope this helps ~ again, this is a purely personal opinion from a seasoned resonator guitarist.

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)

Hey Ian

Great to see you on here, I'm still loving the stevens bar you guys made a while back. I also had no idea there was someone selling Mule resonators so near me! Part of me wishes I didn't know this information.

Hope you're well,
Amit

blue 08-21-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seangil (Post 6468495)
I would agree that the single cone steel is sweeter and more rounded (less bark) than the National single cones that I have played. I prefer that sound, but it depends on what you are trying to do musically with the guitar.

Not a fan of steel singles overall. The only style I don't own, or haven't owned. I would rather have mule steel single if I had to have one.

I'm a National guy through and through, but this vid will tell you all you need to know about the awesomeness of Mules.

Diamond Slides 01-08-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Datts (Post 6475380)
Hey Ian

Great to see you on here, I'm still loving the stevens bar you guys made a while back. I also had no idea there was someone selling Mule resonators so near me! Part of me wishes I didn't know this information.

Hope you're well,
Amit

Hiya Amit!

Great to hear from you again bud and pleased you're still enjoying the glass Stevens style bar.

Yeah, the U.K Mule importer was James' Home Of Tone over here in Stourbridge ~ unfortunately he's had to drop the importing of Mule's due to their popularity - potential customers didn't wish to wait 2 years minimum for their instruments to arrive 🤔

Slide On!

Ian.

Mycroft 01-09-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamond Slides (Post 6598650)
Hiya Amit!

Great to hear from you again bud and pleased you're still enjoying the glass Stevens style bar.

Yeah, the U.K Mule importer was James' Home Of Tone over here in Stourbridge ~ unfortunately he's had to drop the importing of Mule's due to their popularity - potential customers didn't wish to wait 2 years minimum for their instruments to arrive 🤔

Slide On!

Ian.

Glass Stevens style bar?